Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service

new zincs

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by cowboyznindian, Jan 27, 2012.

1. cowboyznindian

cowboyznindian New Member

Hello all...I am about to replace the zincs on my 32' roamer and the old ones seem to have some kind of rubber or silicone towards the center of the zinc...it appears as a raised circular area adhered to the bottom of the vessel where the zinc was removed...She's in dry storage now but is the screw holding the zinc in place acting as the bond to the vessel and not actually the zinc itself? I thought it needed to be against shiny steel...or is the silicone or rubbery substance merely a sealer for the screw? Thanks for any response....I just dont want to primer and paint until I get the zinc s secured....Rich....
  2. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

Must be sealer for the screw. Zinc should be against bare metal. I've never seen a zinc fastener penetrate the bottom but, I haven't worked on many Roamers. The zincs I've seen on metal boats were bolted to a stud or studs that were welded to the hull or transom.
  3. talexander38

talexander38 Member

sounds as if someone put a rubber grommet behind the zinc to stop vibration of the zinc. Why who knows, the Navy use to do this...
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It's entirely possible that the zinc is attached with a bolt through the hull, in which case that would be sealant.