Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights

New Zealand Yachts?

Discussion in 'General Catamaran Discussion' started by tarek, Mar 25, 2008.

1. tarek

tarek New Member

I would like your opinions on the brand "New Zealand Yachts".They make lots of claims on space and fuel efficiency,because of the design(cat).

Appreciate your thoughts.
  2. tarek

tarek New Member

Any thoughts....
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

4. tarek

tarek New Member

I don't know,but i would like your opinion on what they state...
  5. stevenkun

stevenkun New Member

I'm very like their S50 wavepiercer. It is the most perfect design in that kind of length. But, to your question, I'm really have no idea. I think it may not be as that kind of good as their claims.
  6. SAB

SAB New Member

NZ Yachts have some well presented designs of their wavepiercer series- styling and arrangement by Ken Freivoch. The wavepiercer itself is a proven platform mainly used in commercial fast ferry craft. They are stable and fast and relatively economical. I know NZY have already built a few in the vicinity of 20 -35 m with some superyacht awards going their way. The exterior styling of wavepiercers??... one either hates it or loves it- owing the pontoon hulls and the central hull/tunnel. It's interesting to note NZ yachts have just presented two new designs but based on monohull platforms.
  7. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Hi Tarek,

Here we have 2 wavepiercing Cats that work as car ferries everyday (they are called Condor Ferries, the company I work for has just sold that side of the business). One, I think, was in a James Bond movie. The look you will get used to. The only problem is they are not allowed to run in certain weather, a bit limiting for a ferry but sometimes we have very bad weather! They are very fast for such a big boat though.

The NZ yacht I saw at the Monaco Show looked fantastic, with huge amounts of deck space. I like them, less wetted surface, longer hull length, better fuel use and they look cool.

Yes, give it a good think.
  8. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Guest

They are a good firm albeit small and I believe have built only 2-3 wavepiercers and have been hit hard from bot the economy and the rise of the NZ dollar making them as expensive as European yachts.
  9. Blair

Blair New Member

I think the Company is now known as Oceania Marine. As New Zealand Yachts they only built the one wavepiercer 'MV Spirit' that I know of but have worked as principal contractors on other new monohull builds of high quality.

The most obvious one was the explorer yacht T6 that won accolades. Currently they are finishing, on behalf of Diverse Projects, a Craig Loomes 100' motoryacht destined for Australian owners.

They have also recently built four Inshore Patrol Vessels commisioned for the NZ Navy. Pretty boats. Seem to be better finished than typical military vessels as the hulls are actually fair! Might have also come in on time and on budget just to add further uniqueness for a defence project.

They have done some significant refits too.