Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for Burger

New Voice from Indonesia

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Schoonerman, Jan 27, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Schoonerman

Schoonerman New Member

Greetings from the Indonesian Archipelago.

Its been some 10 years, that we have been cruising what we consider "The best cruising grounds in the world". Our Traditional Fleet of Indonesia is made up of a "click" of adventurous sailors who have constructed and sail this part of our plant, aboard Traditional built wooden "Bugis Pinisi Schooners", ranging in size from 18-40m. As founder of the Traditional Fleet and master of the Schooner KLM Ratu Rima, I look forward sharing my insight into this region of the world with the members of this group. In the event anyone has any questions on building here, cruising here, Diving here or whatever, please feel free to ask !

Our involvement in the Marine Biological aspects and future of Indoensia is one area in which we have special interests.

Our involvement in the development of Marine Tourism in the Indonesian Archipelago, includes insight into Cruising Permit Applications, Rules governing the operation of vessels and even the development of small islands as resort operations.

I am on the board of Directors of GAHAWISRI, which is the Indonesian Marine Tourism Foundation, committed to changing rules applicable to Marine Tourism in the Country and consult to the Ministers of Tourism and Sea Communications on matters related to this industry.

Within our click of friends, we have Marine Biologists, Marine Anthropologists, Historian's, Ornithologists and even Carpenters.

I look forward to seeing interesting conversation in this group, and if constructive I would be pleased to add a link to my site http://www.songlinecruises.com

Robin
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Hi Robin!

Welcome to YachtForums. Glad to have you aboard. I visited your site. What a wonderful fleet of ships you operate! Many of us will never have the chance to travel to Indonesia, but we're all infinately curious. Would you be able to post a few pictures of the ships you have and the areas you navigate?

It's great to have someone on board from the other side of the globe. Please... tell us more!

Carl
  3. Schoonerman

Schoonerman New Member

Photos of Indonesian Gold

Carl,

I have tons of photos, but I am afraid that my file size is going to be to large, but here is a try ! Please confirm to me that you can view or that you recieve this one !
    Robin
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Hi Robin,

If your images are too large to post and you don't have a photo editing program, just e-mail them to me and I'll convert them. Looking forward to seeing some of those magnificent ships!

Best regards,

Carl
  5. Schoonerman

Schoonerman New Member

Indonesian Pinisi Photos

As per your request I attach a few photos of our Traditional Constructed vessels. Please note that the Conjo People of South Sulawesi (Bugis sub-culture) have been building and operating vessels for quite some time. I am not going to try to provide any insight into the cultural background on these people, but rather I will refer you to our anthropological site

http://www.forumms.com./home.htm

We hope you enjoy the photos !

Robin

Attached Files:

6. Schoonerman

Schoonerman New Member

Indonesia The Best Cruising in the WORLD

There is much more to the Indonesian Archipelago then just the Island of the God's Bali.............One of our special places in an area of Irian Jaya in the Eastern part of the country is the Raja Empat Islands, near the port of Sorong. Raja Empat has recently been identified as having the most diverse population of fish species on the planet.

This anchorage is one of our favorites !

Attached Files:

7. Schoonerman

Schoonerman New Member

Just a bunch of Old Hippies !

We have a tendency to cruise together so we can have someone to hang out with. Our vessels even attract a crowd amongst the Indonesian's as most vessels here are now constructed with only one mast and our's conjure up memories of the past !

Two interesting facts on Indonesia's Maritime presence are:

80% of all Indonesian Cargo is still carried under sail.

As recent as 1980 many Indonesian Cargo vessels were still operating without engines !

Attached Files:

8. Schoonerman

Schoonerman New Member

Indonesian Residential Bliss

Not everything is large, this is a fine example of a smaller 21m residence of one of our German friends. With a simple 3 cyld Yanmar 45hp engine Duyung has a reputation of being on the move 98% of the time. Satphone equipped we never know where the phone will find KLM Duyung !

Present location is Komodo Island, just West of the Island of Flores.

Last month she was watching Whales off the Western end of Timor and Next week she will move to our home base, Bira, South Sulawesi !

Attached Files:

9. Schoonerman

Schoonerman New Member

Home for the Traditional Fleet

While we want to develop this new harbor with docks and a five building structure to house the Traditional Sailing Club of Indonesia, we have not yet be able to speak with Larry Ellison about finiancing !

If anyone can plug us into him, please tell him we are trying to preseve Indonesian Maritime Culture and the Craftsmenship of the Bugis People !

This is a special place with wonderful people !

Attached Files:

10. Schoonerman

Schoonerman New Member

Our Club Commador Ibu Rimayanti & her son Rafi Joseph Engel

I recall a recent communication with another Yacht Club, who correctly acknowledged that Commador Rima of our Traditional Sailing Club is more attactive than theirs !

I think we should have a contest for the most attactive Club leadership !

Attached Files: