Click for Northern Lights Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Abeking

New teak cockpit on 53

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by sigarn, Aug 4, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. sigarn

sigarn Member

Decided to pull the trigger on a new teak cockpit and cover boards on my 53. Will post updates as we progress.

Attached Files:

2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Readers love this stuff. Thanks Sigarn. Please be sure to reduce pics to 800 pixels or less. Remember, some of our friends on YF might be on satnav. Best not to use up their bandwidth with large images.

I reduced the size of your pics above.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What was the cost of it?
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

WOW!!
    Looking great. Kit?
    Update us on the backing, epoxy or urethane?
  5. C team

C team Senior Member

Look's great! Can't wait to see the finished pics!
  6. C team

C team Senior Member

Does costs really matter??? If the owner wants that look/style on his boat, that is his business.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I was asking for a round about price because I have another owner thinking of putting teak in his cockpit, and it's nice to know the price in different area's of the country. If it's a bit less than the price down here in South Florida, he could just stop in NC on the way down from up North and have the work done.
  8. C team

C team Senior Member

That makes sense.

I know a person who always asks me what stuff costs every time I do something to the boat, car, truck, house, etc.. It's not like he is going to do what I'm doing but always wants to know.
  9. sigarn

sigarn Member

The guy I use is based in NC and does a lot of independent work for the custom Carolina builders. He buys lumber and rips, routers and planes it, and builds panels and caulks the joints and planes the panels in full 1/2" thick boards in his shop from patterns he makes on the boat. There are 5 panels on this one. He actually lays it out on the floor of his shop before taking to the boat. Its then glued down using West Systems Epoxy. Its clamped, temporarily screwed and weighted down until it sets overnight.

Then the joints at the panels and edge border are caulked and then finely re-sanded in place. Its an art, and he does great work. The cost for this job including the step, cockpit floor and new heavier 316 stainless hinges for the fish box and step cooler is about 14K. Covering boards will be another 9K.

The problem with the "stopping by" is its not a quick process. About 6 weeks for this job from start to finish, and he does not have a yard, so you have to have a spot to do the work, and he's backed up all the time.
  10. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Thanks for sharing the pricing to go along with the pics, nice information to have for those planning on similar work.

If your cockpit is about 100 sq ft., that's about $140/sf plus the extras you mentioned.
  11. sigarn

sigarn Member

IMG_0726 (1).jpg Deck is finished. Turned out great. Now waiting on lumber for covering boards.
  12. Quality Time

Quality Time Member

Amazing job! Looks great.
  13. C team

C team Senior Member

Great looking cockpit! Looking forward to seeing the covering boards. It will add a great look to your Post!
  14. Unavailable

Unavailable New Member

Looks great..
  15. Just For Fun

Just For Fun New Member

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

But a quick question from a layman (and maybe just a bit laze one at that): I've had teak on several of my smaller boats and hated when I had to refinish them. But that was many, many, many years ago. Is this coated with a finish that either eliminates the maintenance or extends its look for years?
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Generally teak decks are simply cleaned every month or two with water and a product (some people even use cascade or ammonia) and a light scrubbing
  17. Just For Fun

Just For Fun New Member

But doesn't the teak then loos its luster - the rich look and fad?
  18. sigarn

sigarn Member

There is no finish, just the natural oils in the teak. Capt J is correct. The best product to use that I have found is powdered oxyclean or cascade.
    Clean it once a month or so with a pad and it comes right back.

I am told never use these new acid systems as it eats off layers of teak and greatly shorthens the life. Oxyclean removes the surface dirt and does not eat away the lumber.

Then once a year do a overall light sanding. It should last at least 10 to 12 years.

It’s really all about regular maintenance which is the case with a boat in general. If you let it go then that’s when you end up with huge issues
  19. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

that is fantastic!
  20. Just For Fun

Just For Fun New Member

Understood. And the look greatly improved the overall appearance.