Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker

New speed zones proposed in Palm Beach

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, May 9, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. zen

zen Member

This would be great because it's such a long, slow ride to Stuart. I believe that's all part of a federal wildlife park and protected, so I doubt it would happen.

Capt J - I'm pretty sure the area they are referencing is only about 600-700ft wide. It's wider further north, which is part of the problem because everyone from the marinas and sandbars to the north gets funneled into a narrower area before the bridge. I'm sure it's nowhere near as bad as parts of Miami/Lauderdale on a weekend, but it's not hard to imagine something bad happening in that small stretch. During the week it's not an issue.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Back in the early 90's they had hydroplane races in front of Bahia Mar. 160 mph heading for a hairpin turn at each end. Spectator boats maybe 100' past that. Seriously exciting. Nuts but exciting.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Oh gee. Many things you could say, do, suggest or even think about 30 years ago...
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I remember as a kid my dad taking me to where City of Fort Lauderdale Marina is (Las Olas) as a kid to watch the Hydro Planes and Jersey skiffs running, it was amazing......sadly things like that and the Miami Grand Prix (in the streets of downtown Miami) have gone by the waste side.