Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Westport

New Robust Engine design

Discussion in 'Engines' started by K1W1, Apr 5, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

The moment I read the exert above, my first thought was a caged-ball snorkel. If the valve is mechanical or even electro-mechanical, it would be interesting to see the solution MTU developed. When your world is turned upside-down and doused with water, few things work and flotation is your friend.
  3. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

We've been using them for years in race cars.
    Rollover check ball / value in the fuel cell. Same principal, different application.
  4. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Wonder if they modified the engine mounts as well as these normally would be in compression, not tension as the engine hangs from them at the peak of the 'loop de loop'.
  5. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

They are most likely the "safety" type which, while the engine might momentarily go slightly out of alignment, will transfer the load to a metal part of the mount that can hold the weight of the engine and prevent damage to the elastic elements.
  6. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

We just had a Severn Class Lifeboat lifted in the yard this morning. I jumped onboard and took a load of photos of the engineroom. The old CATs are due to be replaced with the MTUs shortly as it is Hull #4.

Unfortunatley I have a nasty virus on my computer today(downloaded a Pdf from West-Systems) and cannot up-load the photos. Never mind, have another Severn hauling out tomorrow morning to look at too.

I will post the photos when safe.