Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Walker Click for Burger

new ride: 2001 Ocean 43 sportfish

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by Trinimax, Jan 12, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What happens if you see something floating in the water and need to slow down REAL FAST. That's the downside to that setup.......
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I used to run a 43 Ocean with the Yanmars back and forth NY to Miami for a few years. Fun boat. 23gph at 29 kts. Recalculated that several times cause I couldn't believe it. My fastest time on that run was with that boat, 5 days with stops every night. Had it out in more than 14' seas. Scared hell out of me and kept me very busy but got me home every time. Hadn't thought about the gear placement till I saw this. One plus to it was when I taught the owners 12 year old son to dock the boat. At about 4' tall ass to the wheel he couldn't reach them or see anything so being there he was able to stand in that companionway and work them. lol. One cure might be to switch to single lever controls.
    Good luck and stay well, and kudos for coming up with a good work-around.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It's on the gears not the throttles.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah I know.......but I've had situations where I had to yank the throttles down and then put them in Neutral in a hurry because it was too close to steer around...........floating debris once and a manatee another time........but then someone pulling gears into reverse would be just as detrimental in a different way........someone did that when we were at cruise and I was a little kid on my dad's 32' SF and it blew the gas motor to smitherines..........(pulled port gear by accident into Neutral.)
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That was the situation with the owner I referenced except that he went all the way to reverse. From the sound I thought we were getting a transmission enema. Yanking back one throttle beats reverse.