Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Perko Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport

New project, Help please!

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by kc135delta, Apr 24, 2006.

1. kc135delta

kc135delta Member

Hello!, this is my first try at the mega yacht design scene. I design Aircraft for a living, and corprate pilot to keep my hours up. I decided to try somthing that I have allways admired. My life is centered around aviation, and so I thought the Yacht that I design be the same way. I was figuring that it could be 180-240ft in length and have the ability to operate 3 S-76's or bell 222/430 size aircraft from the yacht it'self. Not only accomodate them, but accomodate them inside the yacht it'self to protect them from corrosion and wear as I also plan for the boat it'self to be able to travel through some serious seas to reach all corners of the globe. I had a 3 engine set up in mind. Two diesels for cruise and a turbine for extra speed or power. Also to be used for a back up incase the diesels fail. Then a bow thruster for manuvering. Then some Generators ect... . I have this other idea for power but I'll review it and if it looks like it will work I'll patent it. Other plans for it include tenders and rec. vehicals.

Overall I will have the rough design complete in about a week, and don't be surprised if you see attributes of aircraft in it's design, afterall aviation is all I know (for now).

I just need to know what programs I need to get to create 3d CAD's for ships. My aircraft programs won't allow the attributes of a ship to be created.

Thankyou for your time,

Drew DeBord
  2. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Thorny subject. As the few software platforms that have the power to handle it all are very expensive. Those of us on the cheap path start with 2D design programs instead of 3D. Here is another thread that slogs through these software issues - YACHT DESIGNERS > Yacht Designers Discussion > 3D rapid conceptual design

BTW - inside storage of so many big helicopters will really eat up your useful internal volume.

Kelly Cook
  3. jmr

jmr New Member

May be it is for a millionaere who wants to help people and thinking of building a MRV-Yacht, multi role vessel yacht....or to start a war :eek:

Sorry for my question, is this a real project?

JMR
  4. jmr

jmr New Member

If you use turbine then use water jet too. Some corvettes or firgattes use CODOC system you mentioned above, but with TWO turbines :-D each 19.000 kW. So you can make high waves on the marinas. I think you should take a more longer yacht for your intention...lets see...at least above 100 meter.
    KCook is right, you should consider the hangar too. Do you have some idea about the styling? Should it be classical, stealthy or so what...

What about pod drive instead of bow thruster and then use the latest technology of HTS wire... :-D

JMR
  5. kc135delta

kc135delta Member

It will incorperate a powerplant that can run indeffinatly on it's self. As long as it resides in the ocean. Fresh water, not so much. I am not able to discuss the progress of the project, but yes it is a project. I might be able to post some rough sketches but not any time soon. The few things I can tell you is it is capeable of operating 6, yes you read that right SIX S76's without any waste of space. Infact you won't even be able to see them until they do operate. Not to mention you can't even see the pad it'self. It will be capable of day/night operations via helicopter.

LOA is in the 183.6 - 189.2 range and that's ft btw.

as far as appearance it looks about like any other yacht without the big huge sweeping front. We are aeronautical engineers and we will pull every inch and pound out of this thing possible. No square inch will be left un-touched or without detail.

Further updates to come,

Thanks for your time,
    Drew

oh and btw it's cruise is 36knts, and when I say self sufficant I mean operating near indefinatly without refueling, as it has no "fuel" and no it's not a sailboat nor a Nuclear Reactor (allthough both were considered)
  6. KCook

KCook Senior Member

I would hazard a guess that the only way you're going to get that much internal volume for the length is with a multihull.

Kelly
  7. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Hi, Drew.
    Is this a private or military vessel?
    If your design allows operation of 6 S76's (maybe even the latest version S76D's),
    it appears to be an oil rig/drilling platform -support and supply vessel-.
    At 189ft. LOA and a cruising speed of 36 knots, this is a very interesting project indeed!
    Arnie
    :)
  8. kc135delta

kc135delta Member

It's a monohull design, beam can't be discussed directly, but we are offering civil and millitary versions.

We are aeronautical engineers, we are ment to pull off this little thing we like to call a miracle.

You would of never thought that a 747-100 designed in 1969 would be able to achieve a 1 million pound MTOW either...:D
  9. Adi weiss

Adi weiss New Member

navetta 30

Dear all,

What are the aspects you should concider in purchasing a Navetta 30 semi displacment motor yacht?
    From your experience are there any reasons (technicaly or other?) in this boat for not doing so?

Please advise
  10. kc135delta

kc135delta Member

Update,

The propulsion system has advanced to the test phase, which we are currently testing on a smaller scale. It's reliability is unsurpassed beyond belief. No longer will you ever have to fill up with expensive fuel ever. You can cruise indeffinatly, or atleast as long as the food and supplies such as that last. Not to mention it is 100% silent. No engine noise at all.

Cruise Day/Night 24/7 365 days a year day/shine and they'll never hear you comming. Not to mention at 36knts and 6 helicopters ready to deploy.

Further updates to come...
  11. jmr

jmr New Member

Hmm, interesting :)

if it is not a multihull, than it must be a very beamy hull. Power can be traditionally fuel, sun energy, wind energy, electromagnetic, nuclear energy, underwater streams..

what material do you consider for your vessel (carbon and kevlar)?

:) maybe it looks like an airplane. I am curious to see your first rough sketch.

For designing such thing consider:

Small budget:

1. Ashlar Vellum
    2. Rhino Marine

Big budget:

1. Catia or Unigraphics

JMR
  12. kc135delta

kc135delta Member

Negative.

It isn't a multihull, nor wide. It produces power in none of those ways, I have been informed that I am realeasing too much info so I will need to cut back on the details of what I'm posting.

and no it dosn't look like an airplane. :D

thanks,

Drew
  13. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I think any of the programs you are recommended by JMR will be good enough.

Good luck and you are welcome to post the result!
  14. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

If you like what you see and donĀ“t need a long range cruiser, I think you can go ahead on the Navetta 30. If you can consider steel or aluminium instead of GRP, have a look at some of the Moonen or Burger yachts as alternatives.
  15. EnigmaNZ

EnigmaNZ Member

6 helos with rotors folded and 2 abreast is still going to take 150 odd feet of your lenght, 30 of your width and 15-20 of your height, can't see that in a sub 200 feet MY.

Propulsion, needs to be immersed in saline (conductive), a seawater battery is limited in life like any other battery. I had thought a magnetic motor initually, like the Howard Johnson model but...hmm, hydrogen from water. Sounds like something from Keelynet. When you say no "fuel" is that NO product consumed or no CONVENSIONAL fuel.

Intrigued....
  16. kc135delta

kc135delta Member

Normally, yea 6 S76's would be about 180ft of internal space, but we've reduced that by leaps and bounds with a new system we custom design ourselves.

It's nice that your trying to follow, but don't worry about it. Nothing is consumed and produces no byproduct. Not to mention it's weight is near nothing.

thanks,

Drew
  17. KCook

KCook Senior Member

"Nothing is consumed and produces no byproduct. Not to mention it's weight is near nothing." = Sailboat
  18. kc135delta

kc135delta Member

Negative.

Due to millitary interest the project has gone strictly millitary. No further updates will be provided.
  19. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Drew,
    How's your project coming along?
    Arnie
    :)