Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service

New Project 79 Chris Craft 22' CC Dory

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by Trapshot, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Ironman

Ironman Member

I am definately running at the factory specs. I will check on the prop when I am there tomorrow. I am fairly certain that I have the original prop on there. A new prop is in my future, but the back office is starting to complain about the budget, so it may be a while.
  2. Ironman

Ironman Member

Nice to be sanding wood instead of fiberglass....

Attached Files:

3. Ironman

Ironman Member

I also have these if anyone is interested.

They were banged up pretty good in the storm, but I filled in the damage with filler and used them as a template for a router set up with a spiral bit and bearing to copy the pattern. Actually worked out pretty good

Attached Files:

4. Trapshot

Trapshot Member

Ironman, Where did you get the new teak that wide, the gunwales on mine are in bad shape. What did the new teak set you back? I have been thinking replacing it with mahogany instead, about 1/2 the price.

They look real good!!!
    Ed
  5. Trapshot

Trapshot Member

Never enough questions !!! Yes to INCREDIBLE, that we're doing dorys.
    and having other guy to help as those question and ideas pop-up
    best
    Ed
  6. Alanglois

Alanglois Member

I will get the clearance and post it. We are running the following: CC307 (stroked to 354ci and 325hp) paragon p31r RH rotation on a 1" aquamet 22 shaft spinning a 14x11 supercup prop. Performance so far is great. Cruise is 35 mph @ 3600 rpm.
  7. Ironman

Ironman Member

Again, not a motor expert. I am running a new 357 mercruiser with a paragon transmission, a 1" shaft through a water injected stuffing box - i have the exact specs on these in my office. The prop is a 13x13 bronze (LH) prop, looks like there is ~3 inches of clearance between the hull and the prop blades

Attached Files:

8. Ironman

Ironman Member

This was completed last week and installed this weekend. I am down to a punch line to launch and will try and snap some pics when I am there this afternoon.

Attached Files:

9. Ironman

Ironman Member

Almost there........

Attached Files:

10. Trapshot

Trapshot Member

Ironman....

Its ready shaping up, console look great and the gunwales with the new teak!
    If you missed my last ?, where did you get the teak 9 1/2 " wide and what did it cost you. I have to replace mine also, been thinking of using mahogany instead. alittle cheaper.

Thanks
    Ed
  11. Ironman

Ironman Member

I may not know much about transmissions, but I do know a lot about lumber and millwork (and boat painting - lol)

That is Philipine mahogany. I could not tell the different between it and teak - and as you say, quite a bit more affordable. Those three pieces (1"x10" by 12') ran me about $225 from a local supplier
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Seafarer Marine in Fort Lauderdale, FL would have Teak that wide in stock.
  13. Trapshot

Trapshot Member

Mohogany

Thanks Ironman..... I just finish putting in the new flooring, just have to flair it out.Used 4gals. of west system resin all ready. Ran all new wiring and vent hoses. Maybe another week or so be ready to start the primer coats. maybe some light at end of tunnel. Also did I thank you for those measurements on motor box, hoping to start that and console soon.

again yours is looking great!!!
    Ed
  14. Ironman

Ironman Member

Uh-oh....

Click, click, click. Starter is corroded from flooding in the storm. Removed the faulty unit this afternoon, haven't cursed like that in years. I was reminded of my dad, who was known to spend his weekends under the hood: "whomever designed things should be required to fix them!"
  15. CC Insanity

CC Insanity New Member

Greetings, all... have just "joined the club" with acquisition of a 1975 22' "Dory" I intend to restore that will be delivered to me Monday here in South FL (fingers crossed). I have greatly enjoyed looking at the pictures in this forum and reading the tech notes, and I know once I get this rig and start detailing the restoration plan I'll likely generate quite a few questions of my own. The boat is presently outfitted with a Chrysler 318 (210 HP) which runs well (according to the surveyor I had look at the boat for me), but like many here I am thinking of replacing it with a 350. With that, here are a couple of pictures of the boat I hope to see in a couple of days!

Attached Files:

16. Trapshot

Trapshot Member

Dorys will last forever

Welcome aboard CC.....

Looks in good shape compared to what I had to start with! God do I hate sanding fiberglass. ( If god wanted boats made of fiberglass, he would have created fiberglass trees) Good luck with your restoration, everyone here is ready to help.

Best
    Ed
  17. Ironman

Ironman Member

Great pics - looks like you have some after market stuff on there - trim tabs, horns, rudder and anchor winch?

Like John said a few posts back, it is pretty amazing that there are four boats (by my count) all in restoration at the same time.

I believe you are aptly named "insanity" as that's what it takes to get one of these done - lol

Keep us posted on progress - or safe receipt of the vessel!

Welcome to the party!
  18. CC Insanity

CC Insanity New Member

Thanks for the welcome, Trapshot/Ed & Ironman...

As one might expect in the throes of insanity, the list-making process has begun as I pore over every picture I can find of these things. Today I'll be researching local availability of the proverbial "good used" 350 today, hopefully with FWC and all ancillary items, as an option to the RWC Chrysler. Even though the OEM steel fuel tank appears to be serviceable and has been coated inside and out, I'm going to go ahead and have a new aluminum tank made just for safety. The deck has already been replaced in this one with about 30% of the final over-glassing yet to be done, and based on the survey it appears I won't need to do much (if any) additional structural repair. There are a lot of "aftermarket" items on the boat, most of which I'll be removing/replacing while others (like the trim tabs) will remain. Since I'm starting with a essentially a blank canvas, I also have a few configuration decisions such as helm seats vs. "leaning post" to make. I've already decided to go old-school bimini top rather than a t-top as many of these seem to sport now. I might even have a dodger made in matching canvas. I've seen these both with and without the teak swim platform and I'm still vacillating on that. I want the boat to turn out to be a "clean and classic" cocktail cruiser with improvements at least done "in the spirit" of the OEM design. I would love to find some good pictures of the original "OEM" dash and gauge layout if not a dimensioned sketch of one to replicate.

Lastly for this session: I'm thinking red bottom paint, white bootstripe, navy Awlcraft hull sides, Matterhorn white Awlgrip interior liner/console with Tan non-skid sections in the sole, and Tan canvas... and I gotta have a great stereo system...

CC Insanity = Michael
  19. Trapshot

Trapshot Member

CC Insanity

Micheal>>>> Sounds like a game plan! Today I was waiting on another order of epoxy, but didn't arrive, so been on my back all day stripping years of bottom paint. Talking about paint still not sure what colors to do, wife is thinking maybe Fighting Lady yellow for hull with Black bottom with yellow and black boot strips. We are hoping to relocate to FLA, Sarasota area, so thinking maybe best to keep hull a light color. Your thoughts on Bimini top, and dodger is exactly my thoughts and since custom canvas is my business, that is the easy part. One other thought I have is to extend the foward seat, just enough with fold down bench, so you could sleep aboard with a enclosed dodger. I hope in the next few weeks to post some pics of the new decks almost ready for primer. I am very happy with the progress so far beening only 4 weeks into this restoration.

Have a great weekend ( sanding your heart out)
    Ed
  20. Ironman

Ironman Member

Gents - big weekend for me. Spent the day on Sat closing out a punch list of items to complete prior to launch. Micheal - you see we have similar taste in paint color. This is all interlux: flag blue hull, oyster white topside and sundown buff deck. These colors are pretty typical of Barnegat Bay.

Attached Files: