Click for Abeking Click for Comfort Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta

New Project 79 Chris Craft 22' CC Dory

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by Trapshot, Apr 30, 2013.

1. 76 Dory

76 Dory New Member

I went back and saw I first chimed in on this thread over 5 years ago. I bought this Chris 8 years ago and am happy to say I am finally finished! Rebuilt from bottom up. Removed/replaced all soaked foam below decks, replaced engine beds, brand new 350 and gear, repainted hull and topsides, hand made covering boards, tongue and groove wood doors and dash, replaced every hose, wire, light, nut and bolt. What a journey!! Time to enjoy! View attachment 81929

Attached Files:

2. Captbob626

Captbob626 New Member

1A423487-1B23-49B7-8F53-43CDA77CD610.jpeg Good luck with her, looks beautiful. Where are you located? I’m in Cape May
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  3. 76 Dory

76 Dory New Member

Thanks Capt Bob! I am in Brick, NJ
  4. Brooke Dyer

Brooke Dyer New Member

Greetings everyone from the Chesapeake Bay. I am now the new owner of one of these 1975 classic 22' tournament fishermen. Found one in Mass. after searching for about a year and had it shipped to MD last week. Started cutting out the floors and removing foam last weekend. She will also need new engine stringers which I expected.
    My early calculations are that I will end up removing close to 1000 pounds of waterlogged foam and rotten floor coring. Plan to replace with Coosa board. I have spent a lot of time already learning from what all you guys have posted and will appreciate any and all help you are willing to share as I begin this journey. You guys have done some amazing work bringing these boats back to life and I am excited to get started saving another one.

Thanks,
    Brooke
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Brooke
    Please keep us up on all your progress. I do suggest opening a new thread.
    We like to watch,,,, So send lots of pictures during your progress.
  6. Jackman

Jackman New Member

My 79 Chris Craft Cutlass has that little door you open it up to view the fuel gauge.
  7. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Here's my 79 Chris Craft Cutlass, my first boat ever and I blew the engine 1/2 way thru the season wha , I love this boat so a rebuild starts soon.[​IMG]
  8. beerman

beerman New Member

I finished my decks this spring I had no foam under the deck did some years not have foam??
  9. beerman

beerman New Member

E8F4BF05-A503-45FA-8ACF-1047EA7FD690.jpeg
  10. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Beerman, What year is you boat? Mine is a 79 and there is no foam in it that I can see :)

Is that a new center console? It looks new , if it is where did you get it?
  11. beerman

beerman New Member

1975or77 I’ve been working on it a while I found the hull on Long Island a couple years ago
    Replaced fuel tank, steering, power and decks they are great little boats
  12. David Hoder

David Hoder New Member

Well, my 22 is coming together nicely. Just finished the wiring. Have half the exhaust done, and just sent the prop out. Pic is the breaker, pos and neg bus.. I put them on teak slats for good ventilation. Notice newly bent windshield! 093E10E8-E07D-450F-B8C0-A857455CFA0D.jpeg
  13. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Nice and simple.
  14. beerman

beerman New Member

Nice work. the original wiring access in the console wasn’t a very user friendly spot. I keep putting it off
  15. David Hoder

David Hoder New Member

Thanks guys.
    Here is the dash B0C9B0F6-9957-4AB7-B50A-411638CAF134.jpeg
  16. Alanglois

Alanglois Member

Brooke,

Al Langlois here, sorry I have taken this long to get back to you but I have finally located the archival photos from our restoration. Not sure if you still need any insight or if you are past where you were but if you want to give me a call we can talk and you can give me details of what images might be of assistance.

Al IMG_0462 (2).JPG
  17. Alanglois

Alanglois Member

Ok, So I am going to post some images here on the request of Brooke Dyer - His inquiries are regarding our reinforcement of the liner to hull structure upon removal of the foam, our installation of two floor hatches outboard of the aft central hatch which in OEM form housed the exhaust system (mufflers) and our treatment of backing plates for the helm seats and in our case the tower and the aft lifting point. You can see from the last two pics in the sequence that we placed new rib structure every 18" between the hull and the liner and added structural supports under the floor. We rebuilt our original 307Q completely as I wanted the boat to have an original motor, however we did substantial mods to the motor on the inside which resulted in a dyno run of 325.1 HP @ 4781 rpm. With the current 14x11 prop I can run 4200 rpm and I get about 34knots at WOT. The boat weighs in at 4650 lbs with 37.5 gallons of fuel (1/2 tank) one person (195lbs) and 75lbs of gear. I am changing the prop this winter to get my rpm up where it probably should be at WOT which is around 4500-4600. we are going with a 13x10 supercup prop. I'll report back on the change in performance. I have to go smaller with the prop as I was getting cavitation at high rpm with the 14" blades under 2in from the bottom of the hull.

Bear with me on all these photos..... and it seems that many of the images are too large to upload here so Brooke will be getting those in a separate email.

Al DSCN0658.JPG DSCN0658.JPG DSCN0660.JPG DSCN0661.JPG Liner Hull Support.JPG IMGP6175.JPG
  18. David Hoder

David Hoder New Member

Ok guys- almost done. Waiting for seat posts B72E9223-0EFB-49E7-9C70-091F6E7BBEDC.jpeg
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

WOW.. :D:D:D
  20. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

That was for a removable teak cover plate, you could pull that off with out tools , to see the mechanical sight glass gauge on the top of your original fuel tank...
    I have the 1974 grey Dory at Utsch's close to my other boat ''Clean Slate'', you may have seen it there at times. I like your yellow Dory, nice and original like mine.