Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Furuno Click for Comfort

New Princess 55 - Quality Control problems?

Discussion in 'Princess Yacht' started by Mikolebi, Jun 13, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Mikolebi

Mikolebi New Member

Hi guys,

Just wanted to share my experience with a new built Princess 55 Flybridge purchase.

A quick note to say that it is definitely not my intention to badmouth any brand or model. I am just writing hard facts for you guys to read and evaluate.

It all started very good, with lots of promises and salesman painted rosy pictures etc. The yacht was already built. We ordered a few options that needed to be retrofitted.

Delivery took place approximately 3 weeks later than promised. Day of the formal handover came and that’s precisely when our nightmare started.

I’m writing this post on the 43rd day that the boat is stuck at the dock waiting for Princess teams to bring the boat to a condition ready for handover.

Listing below most of the issues that we have encountered so far:

Tech issues
    1. Aircon system not working.
    2. Watermaker not working / Leaking after repair due to faulty membrane.
    3. Mastervolt system not properly configured, not charging batteries
    4. Bimini hinge torn apart from GRP (reason not specified)
    5. Faulty main electrical panel
    6. Stbd engine alternator rotor grinding.
    7. Genset gas discharge noisy/splashing water.
    8. Sea water flooding in Lazarette due to unplumbed watermaker brine pipe
    9. Navigation system faulty compass constantly swinging. Autopilot not working.
    10. Aft station Volvo controls not working, locker damaged.
    11. Water leak from cockpit to engine room, water drip to inverters/chargers top section
    12. Failed Mastervolt combi inverter
    13. Inverter/Chargers derating/shutting down due to overheating/poor air circulation in Lazarette
    14. Water leak to Guest cabin. Damaged ceiling and speakers.
    15. Damage caused by stainless steel chain mismatching windlass gipsie drum. Chain piling up and getting stuck in chain locker during anchor drop and recovery. Chain locker not draining. Chain counters on both stations not working. Wireless chain controller not working.
    16. Bimini top sagging with rain water on 3 sections
    17. Guest cabin aircon system fault
    18. Saloon Audiovisual system not receiving command from remote controllers
    19. Faulty bilge water alarm in Engine Room
    20. Water leak from engine room hatch drains
    21. Port engine seacock not operational due to watermaker pump obstruction
    22. Genset battery charger exposed to water and debris
    23. VIP cabin lights not working
    24. Master bathroom shower mixer not supplying hot water
    25. Transom shower mixer not supplying water
    26. Gyro inverter support brackets loose. Rattling sound from Gyro
    27. Lazarette extractors not working. Missing components.
    28. Dirty aircon fancoil filters
    29. Damaged engine oil dipstick
    30. Water leak from flybridge access hatch. Hatch hinges loose.
    31. Hot air backfeeding from engine room extractors to lazarette
    32. Unsecured drain box in lazarette
    33. Master cabin aircon duct twisted
    34. Engine coolant residues in Generator casing
    35. Broken water inlet elbow in lazarette.
    36. Damaged bimini shackle
    37. Paserelle stanchions not folding properly to allow retracting of the passerelle
    38. Bilges containing water and debris
    39. Broken chain & storage locker gas struts
    40. Misaligned crew area door hatch grinding gelcoat surface
    41. Engine ladder impossible to remove without tools in order to access genset area.
    42. Loud gurgling sound from Galley sink

Cosmetic Issues
    1. Damaged ceiling falling down in Guest cabin
    2. Cracked/Damaged/Stained teak planks on 6 locations
    3. Stains/Dents/Gelcoat damages in superstructure and hull (total 57 spots)
    4. Sagging ceiling in Galley
    5. Defective master cabin window (needs replacing)
    6. Defective dining table. Leafs not holding up.
    7. Damaged bed frame in guest cabin.
    8. Broken gas struts in 3 locations.
    9. Tender cover supplied not matching order
    10. Entrance curtain supplied not matching order
    11. Saloon storage cover lid dropping
    12. Exterior covers not fitting
    13. Scratched/stained teak tables in Cockpit and Fly
    14. Carpet edges coming off in steps
    15. Loose bow awning pole sockets
    16. Broken guest cabin door restrainer
    17. Dirty cockpit and interior seating
    18. Stained carpets
    19. Damaged mosquito porthole nets (4x)
    20. Missing crockery/cutlery.
    21. Messy sika jobs on flybridge repaired bimini
    22. Corroded screws/parts in 14 spots
    23. Scratched Stbd electric window
    24. Missing flybridge sink cover
    25. Broken fancoil panel in Saloon

Saved the best for last:
    128 days past since a simple child safety net has been ordered to be fitted onto sidedeck handrails (3700 EUR extra cost paid in advance). First version delivered in wrong material. Second version delivered in wrong size. Still no net onboard.

Hope this was an exception for Princess and that they do not deliver all of their boats in similar condition…
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Did you take pictures to document these issues? If so, can you upload some examples?
  3. Milow232

Milow232 Guest

At least the bow didn't fall off..

Seriously I am sorry if you really had to deal with all those issues. I am curious as what other members are saying about the build quality of Princess.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2018
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

If you're not using an attorney, you should be, and I personally would not ever accept that boat at this point. Have you actually accepted? I've never seen a boat with a list like that made completely right by the dealer or builder, plus there's always the lingering bitter after taste. I've seen such lists on boats from builders I consider inferior to Princess and then on a builder I consider superior overall but not on a specific model. Sometimes it's a new model. I know one builder who has delivered three of a new model in the past few months. One is back on his lot for sale, one is headed to another boatyard to have things fixed and a third was shipped 2000 miles away but has some of the same issues.

This is also a reason to require satisfactory survey on a new boat.
  5. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

In line with what @olderboater asked: If you have already accepted that boat, why?
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Er, ah, oh,,
    We could use some pictures. I'm sure you and your attorney's have a large file already.
  7. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

Maybe you should make a video like the one of that Azimut a few years back. At least this one isn’t going in reverse when you put it into forward gear.
  8. Lenny

Lenny Member

Perhaps if you can run the engines and generators, pull a oil sample, and have it tested.
  9. Mikolebi

Mikolebi New Member

Thanks for the comments folks.
    They have tried hard to get our signature for the acceptance protocol promising this and that etc but we informed them that unless all defects are rectified to owner's satisfaction, there will be no acceptance and that the matter will be escalated progressively. At that time they started to take us seriously and started to mobilized their teams.
    It is quite frustrating to pay close to 2M for an unfinished/untested brand new boat and had to go back to shipyard works in the middle of season. They have fixed quite a bit of items in 40+ days although at their own slow pace as they treated the defects as warranty works.
    We thought about getting lawyers involved at the beginning, but once they have started works onboard we suspended our decision not to break their momentum.
    Costwise it certainly makes sense for the shipyards to push out unfinished boats and let the dealer handle the mess. In the long run, I think that what goes around will come around.

Here are some pictures (Part 1)

Admin Edit: As these pictures are oversize, you will need to click and open each pic to see the full extent of the issues.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2018
  10. Mikolebi

Mikolebi New Member

Part 2 IMG_1860.jpg IMG_1826.jpg IMG_1531.jpg IMG_1768.jpg IMG_1548.jpg IMG_1860.jpg IMG_1826.jpg IMG_1531.jpg IMG_1768.jpg IMG_1548.jpg
  11. Mikolebi

Mikolebi New Member

Part 3 IMG_1449.jpg IMG_1322.JPG IMG_1320.JPG GOPR4943.jpg IMG_1480.jpg
  12. olderboater

Two things...
    1-Have you given them a deadline...in writing...
    2-Are you sure that boat wasn't ever delivered to someone else or perhaps dropped or damaged on the yard? Check the serial numbers and year on the engines and make sure it is all current year.

That boats been through hell and they owe you an explanation. It's not just lousy workmanship and quality control. There's been damage.
  13. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Are you sure the babies weren't switched at birth?
    Surely this can't be a new boat.
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That's a NEW boat?
    Time for the attorney's. Your supposed to be investing in a NEW ship.
    The damage from these issues will return in your future near and far.
    Mold and water stains are forever.
    The rust from that cleat will always return. Chances are, even a new cleat from the same vendor will rust also.
    In the last pic, is that dried salt in the open electric box?
  15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Has the builder been involved in this or just the dealer? I would try to get this to the top of the food chain at Princess. I can't imagine a builder delivering such a defective product.
  16. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

In just a few snapshots there are more issues than you may be are aware of. For instance, the corrugated hose on the Stabilizer Cooling side of the raw water strainer looks suspect. I would get a top notch Surveyor asap (if you haven't already) and go over the boat with a very fine eye for defects. Repeat - I would do this right away! I would go over every system in detail. I would also ask for proof/copies of the boats EU certification, has it been completed?

Sorry, I meant CE Certification: https://www.nmma.org/certification/ce-certification
    Standard stuff for European builders, but with this lack of attention to detail, makes me wonder what else?
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  17. olderboater

That boat has all the indications of a very neglected and abused boat, not of a new boat. I wouldn't buy it at any price, but the appropriate price for that boat with everything fixed would still be used boat pricing, at least 20% off the new price.
  18. JWY

JWY Senior Member

"... the appropriate price for that boat with everything fixed would still be used boat pricing, at least 20% off the new price."

When it comes time to sell, you might have a problem with this boat's history. I would feel the need to disclose the "birthing" history to potential clients since this appears to go beyond new boat bugs. In addition to all of the regular broker fluff and buff, I would say that all issues were resolved, but why would someone buy a yacht with disclosed history if sisterships are available that don't have a history. I would ask for future damages in reference to possible resale problems and potential loss of fair market value.

Judy
  19. f3504x4ps

f3504x4ps Member

Have you completed all the paperwork and own this boat? Did not see a reply to that. I can not understand how that boat could be sold in the condition it is in. I really feel sorry for your situation and that you have to go through this. This should be a happy time with your new boat not dealing with all the issues. Pictures are unbelievable, the bimini looks like there was water sitting for long time to get it to stretch out that badly. Looks like rejects were working on the build. Best of luck, but if you can walk away sorry to say this but walk away as long as you get your money back.
  20. olderboater

Reality is it's not just a used boat. It's a used boat in very bad condition with a very bad history.

It reminds me of a boat on the market a few years ago where the litigation between the owner and builder was all over the internet and well known.

I would love to hear the dealer or builder's story.

I've seen flood damaged autos that were in better shape.