Click for Comfort Click for Mag Bay Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Perko

New Post owner - will have lots of questions :)

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Greg Page, May 11, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The deviation from the AP compass to where the boat is pointing can be from many reasons.
    Something interfering with that compass.
    Poor installation of the AP compass.
    Later model APs need to swing or calibrate their compass.

Find the compass and ensure nothing has been stored around it or it's installation location is clear from;
    Tools, spares, pump/blower motors, heavy battery cables or metal studded golf shoes.

Ensure the compass has "this side up" and "Forward ----->" in the proper directions.

Varation (true north) vs Mag north (AP compass) will be off a few degrees in your hood. Auto V may be an option in your AP.
    Like the ships Mag compass and most all other equipment (although some selectable to true compass), Mag pointing is the norm.

When all is known clear, Factory init and swing the compass.
    Then enter "auto learn".
    I do luv the Simrad's auto learn. Just takes about 1/2 mile of clear and wide water.

Remember, set & drift (vectors), your boat will point one direction to make direction made good.
    Different devices will measure course made good differently and display different heading values.
    Finally, there should be a compass off-set adjustment somewhere in the software.

What Mfg/Model is your AP.
  2. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

AP is a Garmin GHC10 display, GHP10 ECU. I have not been able to locate a separate electronic compass, just the display and the ECU. The EDU is mounted vertically to the aft face of the helm console at the bottom, away from the other displays and gauges.

I was able to get the AP to display the correct heading by setting the unit to "true north" and input the correct local declination. Setting it to "magnetic north" it is off by exactly the declination. In the "magnetic north" mode it doesn't allow setting a declination (as expected) and does not respond to the declination value put in for the "true north" mode.
  3. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

congrats and good luck with your Post!
    im really interested about the CATs in your boat!
  4. Barney Hauf

Barney Hauf Member

Congratulations. I have an 89' 43 that I bought 11 years ago. Great boat. My wife and I have been all over the Bahamas in ours and love it as much today as the day we brought it home. best of luck and don't hesitate to reach out if I might be able to help with anything.
    Brian Gillis likes this.
  5. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

If your willing to look in the helm station console I can use someone to tell me where the fuel gauge sender wires go to (probably one of the terminal strips, and which post?) and where the aft bilge pump, fire and generator on light leads route to.

Thanks
  6. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

I finally found the AP IMU processor! It is located in the cabinet in the cockpit (the old Robertson IMU sensor is still under the lower bunk by the holding tank). It should be pretty well away from other electrical wiring. It has what appear to be a ring of compass divisions around it but I can't see an orientation "arrow" or anything similar. The cabling exits the bottom of the sphere. According to my user guide there is no user access to gains or other parameters, just a few simple settings.
  7. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

Had the Tech from BOE come over yesterday. Ran through the setup wizards (I now know how to access them) and a fine heading adjust and the CPS track, autopilot heading, and boat compass all agree within +/- 1-2 degrees, most of the time the match exactly.

Only remaining issue is it has a long delay from pressing the Active or Standby before the display shows the control transferred (4-6 seconds). Tech called Garmin who really didn't have much help (erase all the settings and start over from scratch "might" do it). Turns out the prior owner didn't have the Shadow Drive installed, will get a quote to add that so I have "instant" control of the helm when needed.