Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for JetForums

New Owner of 1975 58' Hatteras YF

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by MissJameyLynn, Nov 19, 2011.

1. MissJameyLynn

MissJameyLynn New Member

Just became a member of the Hatteras Family! I'm glad to see there is a lot of communication about these boats and looking to you experienced Hatt owners for the many questions I'm sure I will have as I refurbish this boat.

To start with, I have a 58' that is actually a converted 53' with a cockpit extension. Does anyone have any information about these conversions? Can anyone tell me about the position of the running gear and fuel tanks?

Thanks,

Miss Jamey Lynn
  2. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Hatteras

Enjoy, they are a great cruising Yacht, .I summer store my Hatt in your area.
  3. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Hi Miss Lynn and welcome to YF.
    Do you know where/when the extension work was done? Maybe a call to the yard that did the work could reveal some info/drawings. Did you ask the previous owner? I think there's a Hatteras owners group, give it a Google.
    Let us know how you make out.
  4. MissJameyLynn

MissJameyLynn New Member

why isnt my profile picture showing ?
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Welcome...

The fuel tanks are on centerline, one under the companionway between the ERs and the second one just behind extending under the guest SR You have 2 access hatches to the gauges and hoses in the floor by the aft ER doors. The slightly larger forward tank feeds the genset.

You need to spend some time crawling around the boat locating all tanks, seacocka, wiring , etc.. Over the years these boats have been upgraded and modified so that s the only way to know what you actually have but the factory manuals and blueprints are a good place to start. If you don't have them on board you can get them from Hatteras with yr hull nr for a small fee

There is indeed a very active Hatteras owners site hosted by sam s marine who carry a lot of parts for these boats
  6. MissJameyLynn

MissJameyLynn New Member

Yea the last owner wasnt to up to date with things , mostly I was trying to figure out where some of the 9oo and 1000 gallon 58s have there tanks . I got 1-330 , 1-220 , and a 200 in the cockpit ( which is set up with a transfer pump to transfer to the 220 tank which seems like an odd way of doing this ). I wanted to try and add more tankage and somehow connect the cockpit tank to the manifold so the engines would draw directly from the cockpit tank .
  7. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Because you uploaded it as a 'profile' picture, which is displayed only in your profile. You needed to upload it it as an 'avatar', which displays in the brief bio that accompanies your posts.

I have fixed this for you. Welcome to YF.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Having a transfer pump for an auxiliary tank is pretty common and works out pretty well. That s the set up we have on a the 70 Johnson i run (400usg aft tank transfers to the mains with a gear pump, takes about 20 minutes)

These Hatts don't have a true manifold but individual selector valves for each engines. You d have to replace all four 2 way valves (2 feed and 2 returns) with 3 way valves. Not really worth it
  9. MissJameyLynn

MissJameyLynn New Member

I have 8v 71s with 4800hrs , they seem to run good but Im debating wether to bite the bullet now and have the engs hauled and fully rebuilt ( 15,000 each ) or play it cheap and just do a top end rebuild without having to pull the engs .
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Full rebuild for $15k each? Very optimistic!! If they run fine leave them alone, don't even bother with a top end. Do a tune up (injector rack and valve) but nothing else.

Did you do a survey? If so the surveyor must have inspected the rings and done a borescope inspection of the cyl How much do they smoke on a true cold start? That s an easy way to evaluate a DD...
  11. MissJameyLynn

MissJameyLynn New Member

No I didnt have a professional survey done I spent 3 days going over the boat myself planning on hauling the engs anyway , so I didnt examine the engs in depth but the last day I hauled the boat inspected the bottom put it back in the water and ran it , thats when I realized the engs ran really good, some white smoke at full throttle not much at all at start up , the temps held between 180-190 , turbos sounded good ,2300 rpms .
  12. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

If they start up easy and run good - Run them. No need to fix what isn't broken.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If the engines run good, don't touch them. Do not do a top end rebuild, as it will just push more past the worn piston rings and cylinder walls and create more crankcase pressure. You shouldn't remove the engines to rebuild them, but they did on the Hatteras 58' that I ran......it cost $60k about 8 years ago to do moh's. You can just set up an a-frame in the engine room and get them up a little bit and rebuild them in place, you might even be able to do it without removing them from the engine beds, but I'm not sure. I know on a 65' with 12v71's you can rebuild them in place. DD put 90 LPH injectors in the one I ran instead of the 110LPH injectors for fuel economy and it was very efficient 30gph at 14-15 knot cruise, must cut some pitch out of the props also......

I ran a 1979 58' YF for many years. It had valves for each engine where you could draw and return from any of the 3 tanks. If I remember correctly, it had 350 gallons foward tank (in the hallway between the engine rooms) under the floor, a 315 gallon aft tank which was directly behind the fwd tank on centerline, and a 350 gallon tank in the cockpit, as well as an additional 150 gallon water tank in the cockpit that gravity fed/filled into a 150 gallon tank under the center stateroom bed.....A transfer pump is fine and actually allows you to transfer all of the fuel.

Check out the Hatteras 1510 club, they have a forum with tons of information dedicated to those boats.