Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Mag Bay

New Calixas 105 Yacht!

Discussion in 'Calixas Yachts' started by waterman480, Mar 5, 2007.

1. waterman480

waterman480 New Member

The new Calixas 105 has arrived in Port Everglades. She is currently covered in grey sticky on board "Pac Adara".

Don't know if she will unload here or head further north.

Stay Tuned

Waterman480
  2. YachtForum

YachtForum Publisher/Admin

Perfect timing! I splashed the runabout yesterday and was planning to blast down to Port Everglades this weekend for photo-opps. If you get pics first, please post 'em! :)
  3. YachtForum

YachtForum Publisher/Admin

Update: Met with the Calixas crew at the Palm Beach Show and spent a couple of hours onboard the boat this week. The editorial is almost complete, but I'm not taking the feature live until next month. While the mags are scrambling to publish, I promised to hold off for a little while, thus spreading out the coverage they're receiving.
  4. brandonw

brandonw Senior Member

Calixas 105 at the Palm Beach Boat Show

Attached Files:

5. urbansarah

urbansarah Guest

Calixas Images

Hello all, I was lucky enough to get aboard Calixas 105 at Palm Beach. I didn't get great shots, but I thought I would just share what I do have!

Admin Edit: Images Removed

Sorry Sarah, but Calixas specifically requested that images NOT be be published unless approved.
  6. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Wow, this actually looks quite good, I never saw or heard of this vessel untill a couple weeks ago.. but i think i am liking the exterior. More pics would justify my thoughts. Thanks urbansarah and Brandon for the wonderful pics.
  7. brandonw

brandonw Senior Member

8. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

9. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Got on the Calixas at the show for a full tour. Took about 100 pics but was speaking to the rep and told him I wouldn't post into a blog (was hoping to do or help on a review but Carl has that going already).
    Since I didn't start this thread, I'll share a shot with you and perhaps more as we go on. It is a beautiful yacht, with a unique walnut panelled interior, but plenty of space.

Admin Edit: Image Removed.

***Sorry Tom. At the request of the Calixas crew, we have to refrain from publishing pics for now.***
  10. RVN-BR

RVN-BR Senior Member

Saw the calixas being built in Taiwan a while ago... it came out very nice, albeit ppl who saw it in person commented on how it was a little bit too tall for her size. Did you guys get the same impression?

The interior is very nice too! Was it kashing that she was built at?
  11. blazeboss

blazeboss New Member

105 dream boat

Just checked out the Calixas web site. WOW!! Turns out its a Texas company. Also soon to offer an 80 footer. Seems like many super yacht features including jacuzzi, huge windows and keen to protect the environment. Looking forward to the YF spread! If they had one in Austin... I would be on my way.
  12. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

No problem. Wasn't sure, that's why I only posted that one shot, more or less testing the waters. The Calixas crew was great letting me see the yacht, so I do agree to their request.
  13. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

According to the website kindly provided by brandonw, this vessel has all the earmarks of a longrange yacht-- bulbous bow, enough fuel for 3000+ NM range, 12-13 knots cruise, fuel-sipping gensets.
    I suppose the cored hull helps the speed somewhat, but at what cost to selling to the long distance crowd who usually eschews this type of bottom?
  14. urbansarah

urbansarah Guest

I apologize for posting the pics - if you need me to respost when they allow them, I will be happy to.
  15. blazeboss

blazeboss New Member

hello loren could you explain your post so that I can understand what you are saying as I dont have enough technical savy on these matters? thanks
  16. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Hi blazeboss:

It has been my experience over the years that the conservative group of people who buy trawlers/expedition vessels/long-range yachts are especially cognizant of hull design and hull materials and have a tendency to choose steel or solid fiberglass over a cored hull.
    Their argument for this stems from their fear of-- and this is just one example of many that I've heard--whacking a semisubmerged shipping container while far from land and ending up with a Problem.

I make no claims as to whether or not a modern cored hull is less strong or resistant to sudden impacts. I can say with some authority, however, that changing people's preconceived notions, in the yacht business anyway, can be a tad difficult.
  17. blazeboss

blazeboss New Member

got gas

thanks Loren, now I get it.the percieved saftey of steel is more important to some buyers than the improved fuel figures.I wonder how far some one with that much fear ever really getts from land?
  18. HKT Horizon

HKT Horizon New Member

Calixas was built in Taiwan by Horizon as an OEM project. The hull at 105 feet was the first world record holder for the largest single piece SCRIMP hull. But that has now been broken again by Horizon themselves at 130 feet which they have now built 4.

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure the hull below the waterline is solid fiberglass and cored above waterline. At least that's how Horizon's normal range of yachts are built.

Personally I think the Calixas is one of the best looking exploration style yachts around. I just love the lines.
  19. RVN-BR

RVN-BR Senior Member

I agree about the looks... it looks very nice, inside and out... like I said above, slightly too tall imho... nonetheless, it is a very nice balance of looks/space. I'm slightly fearful for looking at it in person though... Those who have seen the MCP yachts (made in Brazil but marketed worldwide), they are around the same size (85 - 120 i think) and the 100ft (I think its 95) is too tall for its size. It looks nice in fotos, but in person it goes too tall for its length. I wonder how it behaves at anchor...
  20. goplay

goplay Senior Member

Based on their website, the hull is cored.