Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Furuno

New Builder: Cape Scott Trawlers

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by YachtForums, May 29, 2013.

1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Short of a dedicated forum, I wanted to start a thread about Cape Scott trawlers who recently joined YF. When you see their banners, it's worth taking a look at their latest new build... an entirely new company filling a much needed niche by a couple of seriously seasoned boat builders. The president of Cape Scott is Dan Fritz who founded Queenship back in the 90's and the Sea Spirit line a few years ago, reviewed here...

YachtForums Review: Sea Spirit Yachts

The VP of Cape Scott is Jim Hawkins, a gent who has probably forgotten more about building boats than many of us combined. Together, they've built hundreds of yachts, mostly over 60-feet. Here's a link to some of their builds...

About Us: Cape Scott Yachts

Below is a render of this new double bottomed, steel hulled - D A M N the containers - boat they are building. Naval architecture is by Stephen Seaton, a name synonymous with trawler design...

Cape Scott Design

I'd like to see a bigger brow over the bridge or possibly the entire Portuguese deck, but overall I think it looks pretty good. More importantly, it fills a long standing void left behind when Peter Sever's Cape Horn Trawlers discontinued operations many years ago.

What do you guys think?

***​

Attached Files:

2. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

My bad. Thanks for the correction Scot! Fixed. :eek:
  4. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

I help where I can:)
  5. OrthoKevin

OrthoKevin Member

Really amazing looking trawlers, the 67' has my attention right now....
  6. Pelagic Dreams

Pelagic Dreams Senior Member

I have been a fan for some time

Since a steel trawler has been on our list of boats we have been looking at we have been keeping their website as a favorite. We have been in contact with them since they went public. Great looking boats. Seems like a very well designed boat through and through. We love the upper stateroom / pilot house layout which is nice if you want to separate your owners quarters from the rest of the boat.
    Redundant systems, beefy hull and lots of room for the footage. I think they have a winner here. Can't wait till someone gets to review one.
  7. vlafrank

vlafrank Senior Member

I think it needs higher freeboard from the bridge forward, and a bit more outward flare thereon. A particular obsession of mine, I confess. JMPO
  8. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Did they make a showing at the FLIBS? And were you able to get aboard one?