Click for Walker Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking

New Broward Owner

Discussion in 'Broward Yacht' started by Capt Sam, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Capt Sam

Capt Sam New Member

Hello YF,
    We just purchased our 1998, 103' Broward "Reward" up in Vancouver British Columbia. Plan on spending a couple of years cruising the Pacific Northwest. Love to hear any thoughts of where to go! profile7.jpg
  2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

It's all really beautiful cruising, but gets better when you get to Desolation sound and northward.
    Pay attention to the cruising guides and beware of the currents.
  3. Capt Sam

Capt Sam New Member

Ken,
    Thanks for the reply!
    We just hauled the boat at Platypus Marine in Port Angeles, WA., and did some modifications and service work, she is now ready for this summer!
  4. Ken Bracewell

Are you keeping her at the marina in Port Angeles? We have a new-build up there, so I'm in town nearly every week.
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

In that boat you can explore Alaska so well, including beyond the southern parts most see. We took a couple of months and went to Ketchikan, Wrangell, Petersburg, Jeneau, Glacier Park, Skagway, Haines, Valdez, Seward, Kodiak, and Sitka. We went up the inside and came back the outside. So much to see. We were not among those who dreamed of Alaska, but felt like since we were going to be so close, we should see it. Now the more we read, the more excited we got. It's just so unique and an opportunity to experience things most of us don't.

Otherwise in the PNW, you're surrounded by so many wonderful islands. Also we did visit Lake Washington and Lake Union. We loved Victoria and Vancouver. You can certainly find plenty to see to fill up two years of cruising. Definitely can't see it all.
  6. Capt Sam

Capt Sam New Member

Ken,
    We hauled out in October and splashed her in early January. Headed back to Quayside Marina in Yaletown, Vancouver where we keep her berthed.
    I was up in Port Angeles every other week for at least three days each visit, during the re-fit. I really like it there! Judd, Marty and Tom, took real good care of me and "Reward". I would high recommend Platypus Marine!
    Where and what are you working up there?
    Steve
  7. Capt Sam

Capt Sam New Member

We are planing a trip up to Alaska (too close not to go)!
    We had a home on the "Sunshine Coast" BC, for many years but did not get much boating in (kids to small). Now that two are in college and one in High school, we plan on exploring as much as we can. We are berthed in downtown Vancouver, and love it!!
    We have been to Victoria, Sidney, Van Isle, Ganges, Roche and Friday Harbor. Looking to going south into the Seattle area and the Lakes.
    Since I pilot my own boat, it is a little tricky sometimes with just my wife. She is a trooper and is catching on fast!
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would highly recommend hiring full time crew. That is too much boat for a husband and wife to handle and also maintain. Your time would be much more enjoyable, enjoying the boat instead of washing it and fixing it. If something goes awry can she pilot the boat while you fix something? At the minimum you should have a mate/engineer.
  9. olderboater

Now, that's coming from a Captain, but I'll echo Capt J's comment. I don't know what size boat you had before, but I don't see the 103 as owner operated. Captained perhaps, but all the tasks? Even just routine maintenance takes up a lost of time. Typically boats in that size range typically have a crew of 4 when used in charter. You and wife make two.
  10. RER

RER Senior Member

On the west coast and the PNW in particular you tend to see more owner operators in the 75'-100' range than you would elsewhere, such as in south Florida.

You have to know what you're doing. It's difficult to fake it in that size range. I've met owner operators who are more than competent and usually interesting people too. There's something about running your own boat.

Having said that, almost all have a guy that they use to maintain the boat, at least when they aren't around, and also to run the boat on more demanding legs of a trip, or deliver the boat outright to someplace when the owner cannot or does not care to make the trip.

And welcome to YF Capt Sam.
  11. Ken Bracewell

Marty is an old friend and a great guy.
    We have a new 50m Westport, which you likely saw in the marina Nov/December. We hauled it mid-December for some owner's modifications which will be completed some time next month.

I'll keep an eye out for you this summer.
  12. olderboater

Some do use yacht management companies for some of the services you mention, RER. We "run" our boats a lot. However, just the tasks of routine maintenance while cruising long distances, washing the boat down upon arrival and those runs that require an overnight would really take the pleasure out of it for us if we had no crew. You look at normal crew for a 100' as 3 or 4 and then count the owner couple as 2, just means one more or else I think you find it difficult to enjoy what you're there for. Now, I would make one exception. If you're running a lot of short trips, and then back home regularly. In that situation I can see the two of them doing fine and then turning the maintenance all over to a boatyard when returning home. In our case, we put huge hours on the boat without it reaching home. We have a boat that will go 9 months before it ever reaches our home. So, a lot of service to be done while cruising.

So, a lot depends on how you use it. That said, you could cruise the area from Port Angeles to Vancouver and all in between pretty well perhaps with two. You're surrounded by good shipyards and all the services you can picture. On the other hand, I would be very reluctant to take a 2 or 3 month trip to Alaska, as far as Seward, Kodiak, or even Anchorage, without some additional crew. When we cruised Alaska, we put 350 engine hours on during that cruise, covering 4550 nm.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's way too much boat for an owner and his wife. Just handling the lines and fenders, 1"-1 1/4" lines and the appropriate fenders take a lot of strength. Tieing up when it's blowing 20 knots, you could definately use at least one very strong guy or 2 people to get lines. Rinsing and chamoising a boat that size is easily a 4 hour deal. Washing it is every bit of a full day for 1 person. Then you have all of your daily engine room stuff and maintanence. Then the what if, if something crucial breaks underway, you don't have enough manpower to fix it. What if you have a fire? There are so many what if's. I worked on a 97' long range (old Feadship) style motoryacht over a decade ago as a mate/1st officer along with a Captain and stew/chef. We each had everything we could do to keep everything maintained, washed, and fixed. A full time mate/engineer at the very minimum would take a ton of hassle out of the equation and TIME, time that could be spent enjoying yachting and your destinations. What if something happens to the Captain while underway?

The vast majority of couples draw the line at a 70' MY as to be able to properly handle and cruise without crew.
  14. Ken Bracewell

J- While I don't disagree with you, you've hijacked this thread. Steve is looking for recommendations of places to go.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Woops. You're correct. Sorry to the OP. Olderboater has spent a lot of time there and can come up with some suggestions. I have very very little experience in the Pacific NW.

Victoria is really nice though. Lake Union in Seattle is very neat as well as the marina right by Pike's Market although they only offer dockage for a very brief period like 48 hours. Getting down to Deception pass is a beautiful area as well. I found the water in Anacortes to be almost nuclear looking, but there are a few nice museums and such on land there.
  16. Ken Bracewell

Just a few of my highlights from last summer to get the ball rolling:
    The San Juans are beautiful for a close-by destination
    Pender Harbor/Garden Bay is a very nice stop
    Pendrell Sound in Desolation is great.
    Campbell River is a great place to provision when you need supplies
    Heming Bay in Desolation Sound is pretty and secluded
    Port McNeil also has a good grocery store
    Pruth Bay is really nice, and make sure to take a walk on the marked trails to the beach
    Farther north, look for Deep Cove, Red Bluff Bay, Hoods Bay, and Glacier Bay

This will whet your appetite for now...
  17. olderboater

Spend a day in Glacier Bay and you will know why you came. So many beautiful glaciers elsewhere but it just encompasses the beauty so well. It makes you sit up and say, "Wow, This is why we came to Alaska".
  18. Capt Sam

Capt Sam New Member

Thank you to all!!
    I don't disagree with anyone that it is a big boat and an even bigger job for a "couple"!
    I have quite a bit of experience with boats in the range from 75-135'.
    We were looking for something in the 75-85 foot range max, when this boat came along. For the $ and condition I couldn't pass her up!
    Most of our boating is short day trips 4-6 hours max, at 12 to 14 knots enjoying the ride as well as the final destination.
    I usually, if not always have someone on board that is well enough equipped to handle the "mate/captain" job.
    On longer trips I hire a mate or even a Captain (especially if I am not familiar with the waters) I have found that to be the best way to learn an area!
    When we have gone out for a day/evening cruise, I have the fenders set up and use 5/8" line for my wife to handle. When we have it secured, then I step off and replace the lines with the 1 1/4 ones.(it works for us).
    Even with "crew" on board most places we have visited, have help waiting for us when we arrive ( I am not afraid to ask for help and a quick call on the radio works great).
    It does take ALL day to wash the boat and I thoroughly enjoy it! It is the BEST way to get to know your boat and detect any areas that might need attention. It is like therapy for me. This was a big stretch for us, sometimes I still don't believe it is ours!
    I do have a professional, washing the boat when I am not there.
    I do like the regular maintenance as well, I am qualified to handle/repair most every system on board, but that doesn't mean I don't call in professionals on a regular basis(you have to spend sometime enjoying your boat, family and guests!).
    Owing a boat of this size has always been a dream. I thought I should do it while I am still able and young enough (51 last week) to enjoy it!
    The agreement I made with my wife was;
    If we don't use it enough or even like it, this includes being able to handle it, I would put it up for sale and what ever we got for it would be the cost of fulfilling my dream!
    So far we LOVE IT!!!!!
    BTW Ken,
    Our house was next door to the Garden Bay Pub/marina, it will be one of the first places we visit this spring!
    Steve
  19. olderboater

You thoroughly enjoy washing your boat? You are a very sick man...lol
  20. Capt Sam

Capt Sam New Member

In all honesty, I do, but it is also a great excuse for me to fly up to Vancouver and spend a couple of days alone!(Checking/cleaning the boat).
    I love my family but I also love having some "alone" time!
    Look up Quayside marina in Vancouver and you'll see why I love it up there!!!
    HA :)