Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Furuno

New '73 Bertram 46.6 owner

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by Retired Gunny, Jun 24, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

18 years ago, I made a call from the bottom to Jax. I was covered at that second to bring our just purchased, non-surveyed boat home to Jax.
    I promised a fair to good survey within 2 weeks.
    All has been insured since.
    With zero claims for life, one policy did close down on us. Beale was ready and had us on another policy when it was needed.

I know it is not that easy now days. To much Sheet out there wrecking and sinking and affecting us all.
    My rates then was a fraction of what they are now.
    If this is your first real boat, you may have a 100 question drill to complete, some hurdles to bound over, but there is insurance out there.

I hear some insurance companies require state safe boating courses and a captain to check off your boat handling and skills. I've never witnessed this, just heard of it.

Boat US will not cover you but they should of recommended their standard Go To company for old boats.

Also, who insured the boat before??
    The previous owner may help you get back on with them..

Improvise, Adapt and Overcome
    These do require patience.
  2. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

0 on the 46, but more years of experience I want to admit to including 5 on a 44 & a lot less on a 58 but they were not owned by me. Did any of them look to place with Lloyds? I think it was Smith-Merritt that quoted them as one of the options.
  3. Retired Gunny

Retired Gunny New Member

current owner is insured through Markel, they declined. As well as Legacy underwriters, AIG and united marine. I believe it was Markel that said their underwriters required 2 years ownership experience.
  4. Ralph Holiman

Ralph Holiman New Member

We've had Boat US coverage (through Geico) on our 1973 Bertram since 2017 ($2400/year). We keep hearing they are going to cancel out coverage of boats as old as ours, but we just got renewed in April.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Personally I never trust fuel gauges in a boat. Never. Of all the boats I ve owned or captained I don’t think I ve ever seen a gauge accurate enough for me to trust it. Even expensive electronic gauges like Headhunter and others.

if the tanks are below the floor and accessible, I use a calibrated dipstick. When tanks are high up in the engine room there should be sigh gauges. As a matter of fact I just “sticked” tank on my 53 hatteras, took me less than 1 minute.

I also use a spreadsheet on my phone recording every trip with mileage, generator hours and estimated fuel burn. Formulas calculate total fuel burn and fuel remaining. My boat downs grace flow meters so I estimate, on the boat i run which has flow meters I put in the totalizers and let the SS do the math. Every once in a while I cross check with the stick and I am usually more accurate than the gauges.

if your delivery captain just relies on the gauges of an unknown boat, you should worry :)