Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay

Need Help Identifying Dream Boat From Boston Harbor

Discussion in 'Hinckley Yacht' started by raxpix, Dec 1, 2009.

1. raxpix

raxpix New Member

saw this yacht back in the summer of 2007 while walking around boston harbor. instantly fell in love! took some pictures: the only problem is the tender was covering up all the information. maybe 45' single deck, not too big, not too small ... just right. thanks in advance for any information if you recognize the make or model :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. raxpix

raxpix New Member

also, i should say hello to all the members! if anyone else here is a scuba diver from cape cod let me know! hoping to own a boat similar to the above in my retirement, and then dive the caribbean (all of it). thanks again for any info you might have on it!
  3. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

It is a Hinckley picnic boat
  4. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Yep, nice little boats they are, and for the money they ****ed sure better be.
  5. raxpix

raxpix New Member

Thanks for the information! I'm curious Henning, do you think they aren't a good value? Is there another manufactuer which produces boats in a similar class for a better price which you'd reccomend?

As I said earlier, i plan to use this in my retirement for leisure cruising and as a platform for scuba diving (i am a padi-certified technical diving instructor). Most of my previous experience has been with charters and liveaboards. What do you think of the seaworthiness of a "picnic boat" or similar in the 40-50' range? Will it be safe to take out on the open ocean, island hopping the carribean in good weather? Could it make it to Bermuda? Thanks again for any info.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Big NO to your last question although I think you might have meant the Bahamas.;) Personally, I love the way Hinkley does wood. That may also be their downfall for you. Can't see banging tanks around a Hinkley. Get past that and their price and they're nice boats.
  7. nilo

nilo Senior Member

I have a 51 footer Vicem which may be an alternative to Hinckley. I have been using the boat since 2001 and quite happy with the boat. They are custom built, so you can define a large fuel tank as well.
  8. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

They are indeed very nice boats. However for your use, you may want to look into something a little more "utilitarian" (if I may use that description). The Hinckley is just too sexy of a boat to make it a dive boat! (NAUI / Instructor & very heavy on the technical side myself). Will it work for scouting around the Carib. the Keys, yes, diving, knocking around on, etc. yes, of course, however the Hinckley's range will hamper many of your trips. Their 44' will only cruise 300ish miles.

You may want to look into a trawler (Grand Banks, Fleming, Marlow, Saline, Defever, etc.) or perhaps a pilot house style boat like an Ocean Alexander. I'd even go so far as to look at perhaps a Hatteras Sport Fish. Many of which will (trawlers) can easily get you into the 1500 mile range without breaking a sweat.

Your trick is mixing that sexy looking boat with something that works well for slinging tanks and dive gear in and out of.

Good luck!