Click for Perko Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service

Need for license to pilot a 58+ yacht

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by igloo, Jun 10, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Fathome

Fathome New Member

>If the vessel is not for hire, privately owned, then the owner legally can run it himself if it's under 200 GRT.
    is GRT even used any more?
    The use of the term “Gross Registered Tonnage” was phased out beginning in 1969 with passage of The International Convention on Tonnage Measurements of Ships and hasn’t been used officially sense 1982
    https://www.themaritimesite.com/a-guide-to-understanding-ship-weight-and-tonnage-measurements/

Which regs are you quoting please?
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

He's quoting from the regs you asked about, the US regs. the US still uses GRT. The rules for 200 GRT and less still apply in the US. You asked "> could I operate my own 110 foot U.S. flagged boat ( say 120 gross registered tons) on U. S. coastal waters" and he answered you. You also used the term GRT in saying 120 GRT.

Then you go off calling it confusing because UK this and another site and all this stuff that is 100% irrelevant to the question you asked. James and I both answered you accurately. What is the problem? You asked about one operating their own 110' US flagged boat and coastal cruising in the US.
  3. Fathome

Fathome New Member

>Then you go off calling it...
    >What is the problem...
    Perhaps you can adjust the snark setting in your replies from somewhere around 9 currently, to <2 please. Thx.

>If the vessel is not for hire, privately owned, then the owner legally can run it himself if it's under 200 GRT.
    Thx again for the reply. Can you post a link to the relevant page in these regs please.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Could, but choose not to. Choose to check out of this thread. Good luck.