Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Furuno Click for Walker Click for Cross

Need delivery crew FL to Nassau, July

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by Norseman, Jun 25, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yeah, they found 4 bags of Portland cement in Bimini, but then realized it takes 24 days to cure...Back to the drawing board.

Now he is working with Hydraulic cement, not sure what it is, but is probably cures faster.
    Anyway the owner is going to singlehand the boat across the Atlantic after it is patched up...Anybody wanna go along, free ride and all...? ;)
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Can't believe they were going to try portland cement:) :) :) These guys are dumb and dumber. Hydraulic can be used in an active (wet) leak (in a basement wall). DK if it's compatible with ferro or salt water. If it's not put in right or compatable to the melded material it will pop out en mass as soon as the hull flexes (the words "sink like a rock" come to mind).
    Cement is a versatile material. Make it dense by working the air out and you can build a nuke plant or an anchor. Blow air into it (ferro) and it floats and you can build boats and docks. Make the wrong mix and it crumbles or cracks or flows like a slurpie. I'm an Irish guy. Before I got into that boat I'd want to know that the mason was an old Italian from NY. :cool:
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Hydraulic cement does cure in salt water and underneath saltwater. It is the cement they use when they wrap wood pilings. Usually they put it in between the piling and plastic sleeve (wrap) dry, then the saltwater cures it all on it's own. So it is the proper method to fix it providing it adheres to the ferro cement.

How on earth do you hit a channel marker in Bimini? The markers are far apart. Anyone attempting to cross the Atlantic in a cement sailboat should invest in a very expensive life raft and have their head examined. LOL
  4. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Good question: The problem in Bimini over the years have been about hitting the bottom, the markers are quite clearly, uh..marked and was never a factor.

This marker is located right on the spit of South Bimini as ya enter the actual harbour and abeam from them 'cane damaged hotels to yer Port on North Bimini.
    Anyway, the view from the pilot house on this thing may not have been the best, then there is the sneaking suspicion that the new owner had overstated his quals a tiny bit. ("Yeah sure, I have owned and operated big boats before") In this case he was distracted by boats coming from the opposite direction and kept looking at them instead of the bottom, the markers and other unmovable and in-flexible objects that could cause severe damage to the fragile ferro hull.
    Meh thinks that any boat traffic in the vicinity would keep great distance from the old ferro as it was clearly visible in all it's glory and he was quite safe from being rammed or hit by some center-console fishing boat or the odd Miami bound Sea-Ray.

Still sad that 2 minuttes of in-attention could crush a boat and a dream regardless of stupidity factors involved. :(
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Are you writing a book or what?
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That 2 minutes might have saved the new owners life. There is no way in the world that I would trust my life on doing an atlantic crossing on that ferro cement sailboat. And if it crumbled that much by hitting a channel marker in Bimini, I have serious doubts that the hull is strong enough to handle the rough seas you may encounter in an Atlantic crossing.

On another note, I hear that they are doing temporary repairs and the old owner said that the new owner could bring it to his dock to do a restoration on the vessel and to repaint the hull Fuschia and the trip across the Atlantic has been changed to 2010.
  7. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Aye mate, not writing a book.

Ya think my postings are too long..? :confused:
    Or too many replies to this thread? :confused:

Just keeping folks informed on a chapter gone terribly wrong in the annals of Yachting.

(This is the YachtForums remember)

Feel free to send me another private message if you don't like what I have to say.

In the meantime, lets celebrate that this thing is out of my sight forever.
    I am buying the beer...;) :D
  8. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Wise words and probably 100% on target......

Not so, ya have been listening to the wrong crowd.
    The boat is doomed to be a reef somewhere between Bimini and Freeport.
    If I am wrong, a stick of dynamite will make me right again....;)
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I always teach my students that you might allow yourself to be distracted if there's only one other boat on the bay and he's a mile off, but if you're both doing 30 you'll meat within 1 minute. If you're distracted for 2 minutes on a fero cement sailboat though the fish don't even strain to get out of the way.:D
    BTW, You think a guy who would buy this thing sight unseen might exaggerate his quals?:rolleyes: Naw!:cool:
  10. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yup, I have this sneaky feeling the guy does not have much experience, AND he has a loose screw:p

Got to go, still celebrating the departure of the ugliest boat known to God and to Mankind...Skål...
  11. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

None of that matters much as long as the check clears. ;)
  12. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Sad Ending...

The boat is beyond repair and will be sunk in deep water shortly.

Not a big surprise but still a sad ending.
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

At least it's not bringing anybody to the bottom with it. Did the check clear?
  14. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

The check cleared and all that.

Whoever said that this incident saved lives was right on.

Moral of the story is: Pay attention to fixed markers if ya buy a ferro-cement boat unseen.:eek:

R.I.P. you big old ugly ferro boat, the end is near and nobody will make fun of you anymore. :(
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.