Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights

need advice

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by sharkbait, Sep 10, 2011.

1. sharkbait

sharkbait New Member

I know a year around australia isnt much time.... but whens there is little more to learn then we will be ready.

I have been looking at the cole's but as they are a good boat they are holding their resale value very well.

nothing good is cheap...
  2. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

If you want to PM me I can send you my parents contact info, my dad is the current commodore of the Cairns Cruising Yacht Squadron and a fountain of information on cruising in smallish boats
  3. Garry Hartshorn

You can pick up a 1980 Cole 23 for about 15000 AUD it has already devalued as much as it will so depending on how you treat it will dictate how much you will get back when you decide to move on
  4. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Eric gave you some excellent advice.

As far as learning to sail these smaller vessels, there is practically no difference in them in that size range. And really the sailing itself is not that difficult to learn....you can pick up the basics on a small daysailing rental boat, along with a little book reading. You will get better at it as time goes on. Navigation is more challenging than the sailing portion.

Too bad you're not here in the USA. With a little searching you could probably find a boat of that size for almost nothing right now...or maybe a 1,000 or so dollars.
  5. sharkbait

sharkbait New Member

THANKYOU ALL...
    I've been reading posts concerning this and a few other subjects relating to what we want to do and what we need.

We are sorry to hear that a few owners have had bad surveyors and we are thankful for your advice on this subject.
    we have the money now to buy anything (in our price range) today, but I am holding out till I find just a little more info and the perfect boat-

We don't wish to open any old debate of what material is superior for the hull

the way we see it, & PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I ARE WRONG...
    We should buy a yacht with a good steel hull as it is more forgiving than most other materials,
    As we are learning we are subject to ALL the simple mistakes that even professional make from time to time, so the stronger and easier to repair the better for us, by trade i am a metal fabricator & welder so I can repair or modify anything (LOL)

we are going to buy a 30 - 35ft in size (hopefully 32ft)
    25 is a little small, they may be all right for a single person, but for us as a couple & the distances involved... a little bigger may be better.

As for TRAINING- it is still undecided,
    YA courses are very expensive (it is a pity as it stops the average person obtaining professional training).
    the bronze, silver and gold courses offered by "sailing schools" seem to be "mickey mouse courses" that give some skills and narrow scope of a few basics... may be wrong but.... not worth much in the real world.

if we hire a (YA certified) private captain to train us on our boat, can this captain sign the YA forms for the certificates or do we need someone with training certification (if such a thing exsists)?
    cheers all
  6. Garry Hartshorn

To obtain a YA certification the course must be carried out per the curriculum by a qualified instructor. When I was a YA instructor ( my qualification lapsed several years ago ) the instructor also had to be affiliated with a YA training center.

In Australia you will find that some yacht clubs are registered training centers and offer courses on a non profit basis in order to expand their membership.

Training centre search
  7. sharkbait

sharkbait New Member

cheers for the info...
    when I attend any course I will be looking for YA approved couses or
    YA instruction certified personel
    After trawling through all the "Experts" on the web,
    this site aways has the accurate information a person needs...

Some of the things i have read elsewhere proves anyone can publish anything regardless of any truth... LOL