Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Northern Lights Click for MotorCheck Click for Abeking

Nautical Terminology

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by SeaLion, Apr 11, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Yes, that's true, you have a point .
    Perhaps it's more like "Rope" is more land based terminology and "Line" is more nautical? "Hey, get the spring rope ready and make sure you have two bow ropes ready when we come in" said Capt J....just doesn't sound right.
  2. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Yes , well put. I dabble in sailing with my friend and his Cape Dory 33. Great sailboat, and he has taught me those sailing terms....although they have a hard time sticking with me because I only sail with him twice a year. Clew , top, sheet , wing on wing, yup they all sound familiar.
  3. JWY

JWY Senior Member

I've enjoyed reading this thread especially since I consider myself a stickler for grammar and proper terminology. Speaking of grammar, there are two types: prescriptive and descriptive. Prescriptive is what the old school marm taught us which is why some of us old farts still say and write things like "For whom is it intended?" Descriptive is more for current and colloquial usage such as "Who does it go to?" Ouch, I cringe at writing a sentence that ends in a preposition. But nautical terminology is a language of its own. There's a big difference in calling someone an old fart and an old salt. Aside from the safety issues that nautical terminology precludes, there's a respect for the art of yachtsmanship (please no one dare politically correct this to yachtspersonship). We old salts and salty mariners are a family with our own rules and our own language. When we speak the same language, we are equals. There's no looking down upon the newbies to our sport, but there's a silent nod of appreciation for those that speak the language properly - it's recognition of knowledge, experience, and appreciation. We're all brothers, but when you hail me on your VHF, please don't say "Yo, Bro."

Judy
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Yo Sis, good post!
  5. JWY

JWY Senior Member

lmao!
  6. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

No one wants to have their "scrambled-eggs" or gold braided hat glistening in the sun. It just isn't "right". You want have some slight blue tarnish on them gold! Here are THE BIBLE's! Read it and gain "salt"!!
    BJM.jpeg
    BJM2.jpeg
    ENK.jpeg
  7. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

Re: Judy (JWY) and Seasmaster,
    Amen (although not a strictly nautical term)
    :)
  8. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

Y'know, my mother - June Cleaver personified - would be "tsk-tsking" y'all. It isn't "Who does it go to", it's "To whom".
    Sigh. . .:eek::eek::eek::eek::cool:. But most importantly, at least it wasn't: "Where'ya at?" LOL

But when I think of JWY, the image that most comes to mind is that of the interpreter:

:):):):):)

OMG!! My, how far we have strayed from "unanchoring". I love this forum!!
  9. Viceroy

Viceroy Member

Anyone want to tackle, "Cable Length"? On the B.C. coast, mariners will often hear the skipper of most vessels in our ferry system using this term to define distances. Here you go, eh!
    The definition varies (found on Wikipedia): Cheers, Richard.

10. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Well said... or said well ?
  11. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

Apparently there is too much free time available for me. . .
    From the ENK above;
    IMG_0627.jpeg
    IMG_0628.jpeg

"knowledge is power" LOL
  12. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Capture.PNG
  13. SeaLion

SeaLion Senior Member

I enjoy the salty words that are properly "mispronounced" for example...
    Forecastle
    Gunwale
    Boatswain
  14. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

I don no much about da anchor part, I toss mine but I never can find the twine rope, should it be tied to the railing? Its really weird, da boat does stop suddenly after a while but the radar thingy didn't say there were rocks.
    I leave da bumpas out so I don't scratch da boat while goin fast and I always leave the headlights on at night, the kids love it when they are hanging their legs over the pointy end. I can't see much but they tell me if they see one o dos rock wall thingys comin up fast.
    Speakin of kids, those sea rats make a big mess of da kitchen, livin room and bedrooms and they always clog the crapper. I don't mind thoug, I like to drive from da second floor.
    I always make da kids put their legs over the ass end when I park. I go as fast as I can but they make sure I don't hit nothin too hard. Ya know, it's tough steering the ***** with one hand on the steering wheel and a beer or two in da other. I know, I'll get my Red Sox baseball hat with the beer holders & tubes!
    Spekin or ropes, I tie da boat up reel good with two ropes that I got at the dump. They are only rotted of on two or three ends but I figure 1/4" ropes should be fine for a 65k lb 50 foot yachit.

Googon Dave, "S.S. Rock Finder XXIII"
    Last edited: May 2, 2019
  15. SeaLion

SeaLion Senior Member

Ha! Dave, you've really got this boating thing figured out! Except the Red Sox part. There may be some who disagree with that.
  16. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Dave
    That must've been a lot of work to write that colorful script. My Tigers baseball hat is tipped to you. :)
  17. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

I'm getting a good laugh at myself, glad you enjoyed!
    Now back to our regularly scheduled program, sorry for the derail...
  18. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Old sailors tale and nothing to do with why they're called she. The reality is simply the lack of gender nouns in the English language so inanimate things have come to be referenced as female or male with no apparent reasons.
  19. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Hmmm. Not sure on that . Everything about a square rigger is a "she" from the 'figurehead' to the "curves" of her traffail. The guns however are "Brutus" , Death" "Divine Justice" Inanimate objects historically have been personified in some way 'She has beautiful lines' is a much more interesting description., than ' its a boat showing nice design work'

Is there an essence of thing that makes it a she or he? dunno
  20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Smile when you type that...