Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for JetForums Click for Mulder

Nadan ex Sycara IV

Discussion in 'Burger Yacht' started by longpig, Nov 21, 2019.

1. longpig

longpig Member

Looks like Sycara IV has received a major refit with a beautiful new interior and a new deck house
    at the front of the sun deck which is a lovely sitting room / office. I have always been a huge fan of burgers workmanship. Especially their wood work. This yacht is a prime example. The thing is, Nadan is for sale at the moment for US $28,200,000 . Looking on the internet there are a couple of very similar yachts of 160 feet called Timeless and Clarity built by the Turkish company Bilgin. Clarity, which was built in 2015 is for sale at the moment for US $11,000,000. Turkey has a long history of boat building.
    I'm following a yacht building blog in Turkey at the moment, and **** they do some nice work. ! Sycara IV is 271 GT whilst Clarity is 344 GT. I am stumped at the price difference. Is this a case of wishful thinking or is there something I don't know about Burger. Or do the free trade zones in Turkey mean that they can really build for that much cheaper. ?
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

To fully understand and answer your question, one would have to go to each yacht and examine them carefully. However, let me give you a little insight into it. First, the copy never sells for what the original does and Clarity openly admits they're following the path of Sycara. Nothing wrong with that. However, the detailed work, the carpentry, the finish by Burger is incredibly good and I've never seen finish approaching that on a boat built in Turkey. Not saying it can't be done, but generally it isn't. Also, Nadan was refit in 2019. Still, I think the price asked for Nadan at the moment is quite high, even recognizing the level of workmanship.

As to costs of building in Turkey, they are less. Among the least expensive places in the world. Notice even people like Nordhavn building there as it's considerably cheaper to build their new model there than in China. Now, selection of materials and level of workmanship still impact that cost making Turkey look even less expensive. You build a Burger in Turkey and it may be nice, but it still won't be a Burger. One step on and you'll notice the difference and in use, you'll further notice. I'm not saying you can't get a good boat built in Turkey. I'm not saying Clarity isn't a nice boat. I am saying that those pricing the two boats do know them better than we do.
  3. SeaLion

SeaLion Senior Member

Also, yacht value at these levels, similar to very high value real estate or art, is very fluid and difficult to estimate due to the unique product and small number qualified buyers. From a non-technical perspective, this is why Sycara vs. Clarity, in addition to the details OB points out, is unlike a the value of a 2015 Camry vs Accord. Furthermore, asking prices are just whatever the seller and broker decide upon, including "wishful thinking".
  4. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor