Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Mulder Click for Burger

My Seanna

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by captainwjm, Dec 1, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I guess you don’t have to worry about a crew transferring from the tender
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No, that's what's nice about it. Trouble is you need calm water and enough space to bring it out on the Hip. But once out there, loosen the stern line and bow line and let it slide back on the bridle line. Bring in the 2 fenders on the yacht side, come tight on the bridle and off you go.
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

At what speed? I expect we'll see more this week, but it appeared the Captain was not aware they were doing that.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I know this was directed at Ken, but when I did it, I would be at almost a stop. Neutral and drifting forward one to 2 knots bow into the sea or wind. Once free I would simply bump an engine forward to maintain the 1-2 knots and direction as the mate payed out the line. NOT at 5-6 knots which is what it looked like on Below Deck. Also granted I did this on sub 80' yachts where it was easy to maneuver the big boat around the tender.
  5. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Lol, brings back memories for me, On my Father's 50ft Matthews and my 13' Boston Whaler. He being the Captain and I, the 11 year old mate. We would leave the marina with the Whaler on the aft hip, then once we got into open waters, he would slow the boat down as you said Capt J, I would untie the stern, then bow line and pay out the yellow poly propylene line , which floats so it didn't get caught in the prop, Once out enough , I would give him the all clear. And off we would go..and I would pull in the two fenders.

Same idea, but not the same caliber of boats you fine gentlemen speak of. I don't see why this can't be done on any size boat/yacht. Especially when you have the luxury of multiple deck hands.
  6. olderboater

I think the problem is the boat was underway and I don't think the Captain was aware of what was going on. It's horrifying to see and obviously as he's saved and in the tender, they still have no idea how badly his ankle is hurt. I was very bothered that they didn't get him on board before heading to the anchorage. I think they thought he was in the tender and fine.

They bring a doctor by tender and she says it's not broken and gives him pain killer and leaves. No X-Ray, no MRI at that point. News reports said the ankle was seriously injured and he came close to having to have amputation. The show has him back on deck soon and doing ok.

There were many things done wrong including the positioning of the line, where crew was standing, and not yelling "Man Overboard" loud enough or forcibly enough as the boat was still moving forward for a period of time. For all of us it should be a reminder of how critical safety is. I know some of our rules seem excessive but I learned long ago that you can't do too much when it comes to safety, you must assume everyone will do the dumbest things.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The problem in a situation like that, is that the process has to be ingrained in everyone's minds so deep, that it come natural even in the midst of total chaos. Most people are not that way and it takes A LOT of drills in order to get them to the point that even in total chaos they can remember the right steps. The problem is, 1/2 of the population probably isn't capable enough.....they just naturally panic.
  8. olderboater

You're right about drills and we do have our MOB drills. I think with enough drills and understanding you can reduce the panic. I think Rhylee panicked or, at best, just wasn't trained in what to do. Yet, the camera man took swift action. I even wondered if there was some sense with it being a charter not to yell too loud or show panic, but what it looks like to charter guests really isn't important at that point. It's like Lee says about the tender to let it get damaged but not to risk life.

Now, I will say that this wasn't as simple as MOB. It was MOB with ankle caught in line pulling him under. That's a complicating factor to train for and one perhaps most don't consider. A couple of other thoughts. Swim Platforms are not the place to be when a boat is underway. The other thought is Staples.
  9. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Just at maneuvering speed. It was generally when we were leaving an anchorage, but sometimes in an out of port. It was all very carefully set up, with the tow line run down the length of the tender, and flaked out onto swim step in a way which wouldn't allow a crew member end up on the wrong side of the tension. It was written into a SOP for my mini-ISM, and approved by flag state.
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Staples?

Swim platforms should be off limit especially when docking yet we always see crew handling stern lines from platforms, with frequent close calls. No reason for this as lines can be handled for the safety of the deck. Earlier this year, i saw a crew fall overboard from a 150ish footer while handling a stern line from the platform. They were docking in staniel at night. No harm done, she got back up safely but that close to the wheels could have been tragic.
  11. olderboater

Sounds like our SOP which is very clear and detailed and approved by flag state even though in practice we've never towed anything. I noticed how the next time, the captain communicated clearly and had his eyes on what was going on, things missing from the time of the event.
  12. olderboater

Yes, staples. Also known more formally as stanchions or rails.
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

L
    Lol. Of course... replied before coffee. Never a good idea :)
  14. leeky

leeky Senior Member

The MOB looked staged to me. The deckhand was holding onto the white tow line attached to the tender and didn't let go pulling him into the water. His foot was near the dark bridle line, but didn't look entangled to me. I'll watch again next week.
  15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The whole show is staged and scripted ...
  16. captholli

captholli Senior Member

+1
  17. leeky

leeky Senior Member

I agree that the whole show is scripted. Olderboater seems to think that this MOB was not intentional, and I was trying to point out not only that it was staged, but that it looked staged.
  18. olderboater

Staged, would they have had the rescue by a camera man? If I was staging it, I would have had Rhylee be the hero, redeem herself.

Certainly none of us can be 100% sure so each entitled to own opinion. My understanding of the show is that clearly participants are selected for entertainment value and producers may feed suggestions but that the cruise itself, the actions of charter guests and crew are legitimate. I don't believe the MOB was planned but I can't prove it one way or the other.
  19. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

Agreed.
  20. leeky

leeky Senior Member

The camera man could've been included in the script to add credibility to it being a real accident. You seem to think that the camera man's involvement makes this MOB not staged, and you are probably not alone in that thinking. I do agree that we can't prove whether it was staged or not.