Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for Perko Click for Cross

My Post 42 (Kinda Long...Sorry)

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Island Runner, Mar 13, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

IR,

excellent post on your Post....

Regards,

RT
  2. brock71

brock71 New Member

Thanks for the tips and advice IR. I have a Chris Commander, 1967. It also has fiberglass stringers which is what drew me to it initially. That is a key feature.
    I Lived through a transom core replacement on a smaller trailer boat when I was first starting out.
    I suppose some soft spots are livable. Some must be fixed. Doing some research on alternatives to removing the outer skin. I did the transom replacement from the inside.
  3. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
  4. brock71

brock71 New Member

It looks interesting. I also saw a urethane adhesive you can inject from a caulking cartridge unloaded into a grease gun. Same idea. Drill a lolt of small holes and inject a filler/glue. Seems you still need to dry it out first.

I have seen some posts regarding balsa core issues on the fly bridge floor and rear deck. I have not seen anything about the foredeck. Did Post use basa core all over the front deck also?
    The 42 I am looking at has a teak toe rail that is likely screwed down into it.
  5. Island Runner

Island Runner Member

I think you do want to dry it out and that can be pretty tough without opening 'er up. But this is one of those tough things to analyze and your best course of action may be different than someone else's. I live in hot, humid Florida and things outside don't dry out very well, especially where moisture is trapped in a soggy balsa core. Post laid up a crazy thick flybridge deck. My balsa core was 1.5 - 2" thick between pretty thin skins of glass. Top layer was more like mat/cloth and bottom was roving. There was a LOT of water intrusion as balsa tends to wick it in along the grain. I removed the helm and port seat and cut away the top layer until I found clean dry core. That was most of the flybridge - 24 square feet. The previous owner did a lousy job trying to fix one area by injecting resin and it was a goopy mess of rotten core and uncatylized polyester resin.

The injection method may work but it's a lot of work too. Lots of holes, chucking a bent nail in your drill and trying to break up the old core, vacuum out the debris, injecting thickened epoxy, sanding, sealing, repainting....and then hoping you did a good job and no more soft spots develop. I will admit removing the helm from the flybridge means rewiring the helm and that may not be in your "to-do" list. It's hard to know where to draw the line sometimes. That's why what I did may not be what someone else decides to do. I am glad I did mine the way I did. Everything is glassed back down and there are no fasteners penetrating my flybridge to secure the shroud, the helm, the port seat, etc.

The fore deck on my '76 is balsa cored as well. Suprisingly no soft spots in mine anywhere. I have a few suspicious corners of the aft foredeck hatches but I think I am going to glass those hatches in this summer and modify the foredeck hatch to accept a Lewmar Ocean Series hatch. (The list never ends...) The toerail is wood but I am guessing the balsa core ends before the hull to deck joint. The wood rubrail had some really bad places but mine is gone now when I replaced it with a black hard vinyl "workboat" rubrail last year. I believe Post executed a really good hull to deck joint back in the day. The polysulfide compund used throughout the boat is really good stuff!

There is core in the cockpit deck but mine has proven to be dry and intact - no issues. Of course the only fasteners that penetrated it were the six screws that secured the feet of the ladder to the flybridge and they must have sealed them well.

Maintenance, climate and other factors make each old boat a unique possibility. Mine has lived its life in hot, humid, rainy Florida and that took it's toll. The same boat used seasonally in the northeast and stored under cover out of the water half the year would probably be a different story.
  6. evan717

evan717 New Member

Island Runner; wow. I am extremely impressed with your work. I find myself in your shoes about 5 years ago.

Just purchased a 1978 42 Post with 6-71N 310s from the NE and brought it to NJ this past weekend. Your thread is a true inspiration to me as I consider myself a seasoned DIYer. Previous project was a 37ft Hunter Cherubini which I had to replace all of the knees and revive to safe and seaworthy condition. After I lost any sort of interest to max out at 6 knots, I found my Post. She does need work but runs and drives. My end game is to have something along the lines of your beauty but probably far from it. I will probably rebuild what I cannot afford to replace (gen and engines), have a few soft spots in the side decks, the front cabin had windows and the previous owner started to fiberglass over them in addition to installing a transom door. I do have damage on the aft bulkheads (port side is worse) and plan a similar route. Tackle/storage box has allowed water intrusion in the forward section of the cockpit....a long list

Question: My boat does not have a spray rail and it was an extremely wet ride in the LI Sound this past weekend. Now I am unsure if all of my ventures will be of that caliber but would you recommend removing the extremely wavy fiberglass-over-windows job and engineering front window frame and lexan or would you fix existing glass job?

I would love access to your photobucket if possible to browse for other ways i can blow my money. Thank you again from all of us for documenting your project. I look forward to hear from you.
  7. evan717

evan717 New Member

My nj post

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. ruby

ruby Member

IR, you are doing a great job, perservere as us men do. It will be worth it. Brock 71 when looking at early Post Yachts that are still around from the seventies they may need work; but those old girls made it through many years. If you look around you may not find some of the competitor boats of the same vintage still floating. Good Luck to both of you, My 46 Post is 99.9% done. NOT- I am sure any new gadget that becomes popular will find its way to my boat.:)
  9. Island Runner

Island Runner Member

Congratulations on your new-to-you 1978 Post 42! Your list is long no doubt and if you're not careful you'll fall down the rabbit hole like I did! I compare it to an onion - you peel away one layer and decide the layer underneath should go too, and on and on until you have engines sitting in a bare hull! I would have come out ahead buying a bare hull and building a boat but that's my fault. I started my refit over 8 years ago and I'm still not completely finished. But that's my fault too... enough of that.

More to your question - without seeing your boat I would assume it would be easier and more cost efficient to fair out the glassed over windows versus trying to go back and re-create the windows. This assumes the glasswork is structurally sound and water tight. Fairing out a compound curve isn't easy but there are flexible long boards that will help.

I would think about adding a spray rail. The boat is a really wet ride without one. I have pretty big spray rails and I still get water blow back on the bridge in certain conditions.

Good luck with your upgrades and re-fit work.

IR
  10. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

front windshields in a Post 42

Hi Evan, congrats on the Post.

For what it is worth, I'll tell you about my 46.

When I bought it, it had been sitting on land for at least 2 years, maybe more.
    During that time the former owner paid a professional to replace the windows in the front.
    This was done because they were leaking, I was told.
    All new glass, new wood frames around the glass, all new fiberglass and gelcoat.
    They did a nice job.

The seat in front of the windows was full of blisters from having the cushions left there for who knows how long.
    I always wondered why he fixed the windows and not the seat......
    There was a canvass cover, with snaps, that the F.O. used to keep both the sun out and, I assume, the rain from the windows.

After I had the boat one summer or so and I saw the front windows leaking once more

After speaking with my glass guy, he suggested that it would be a better use of money to remove the windows altogether.

His reasoning was that the glass, wood frames and fiberglass all expand and contract in different ways and it would always, sooner or later, leak.

I thought this was good advice and had him replace the windows and fix the front bench seat at that time.

One other benefit, in my eyes anyway, was that the repair made the boat look newer than it was.

I have not regretted the repair for one minute.

It DID make the cabin darker inside but I got over that pretty quickly.

Good luck with your Post.
  11. evan717

evan717 New Member

Thank you all very much for your input. I do greatly appreciate it. I have had much experience in the auto body industry and the idea of getting the entire windshield flat and presentable is going to be a task. Without a doubt it will be worth it in the end.

I have had one trip in the boat, battling the 6ft swells in the Sound, and believe me: I am looking into spray rails. I was just questioning their cost versus benefit; I would have to compare the ride WITH and WITHOUT which is not going to happen. I may attempt to roll some 304SS angle as a spray rail but I am seriously doubting the aesthetic aspect of that option.

Regardless; next on the list is to wash down the entire bilge & engines to give both some paint along with hoses and clamps for the 6-71s and gen.

Island Runner: When you came across the vertical fasteners screwed into the end grain of the port bulkhead, was that below the bridge fiberglass layer? I have not been able to inspect the area but I need to start mapping out a plan to stop the water ingress from the bridge. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all again!
  12. baltimore bob

baltimore bob Member

Please keep this up....I need the inspiration. After 21 years of owning a wood 37 Egg Harbor, I bought a 1975 Post 42, hull #3. Neeless to say it needs much love.The "before" engine room pictures look like they were taken on my boat!
  13. evan717

evan717 New Member

Alright folks. Our season is officially here. The winter was rough and it killed me not to have the time or weather to work on the Post. Immediately need to rebuild my Perko strainers and paint engine room & engines in addition to remove, rebuild, and install my two cockpit stations. Contemplating removal of the stbd control station but it may take a back seat to engine maintenance & bridge rebuilding. My head is spinning of you cannot tell.

What are you all up to? I took the boat out on the NYC harbor last weekend for a quick run up to the GWB and back. Noticed a vibration on my port shaft. Yet another bug to work out.

Hope all is going well with everyone. I look forward to see how your "winter" projects came out.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Was there much flotsam in the harbor? With luck you just picked up something on your prop or you were looking with a too critical eye being your first time out.
    Did you hear that the storm coming in now may bring a little SNOW?:eek: I just put my shovels and ice melt back into the garage.:(
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Crazy weather. Every time things start to get dry enough to clean & epoxy some projects, it gets wet and cold again.
  16. evan717

evan717 New Member

There is ALWAYS shmeg in the harbor! Yet I am confident it is due to my recent replacement of strut blocks with the convenience of picking up a line in the LI Sound. The rode is off but I am afraid the prop/shaft is bent or my alignment is off. Alignment was AOK when I re-bedded the struts. Cutlass was fine when I splashed her in September. Even with the thought that the cutlass is trashed, this is entirely too much vibration for a cutlass. Out she comes after everyone gets in for the season.
  17. baltimore bob

baltimore bob Member

Want to trade weather? 89degrees Monday, monsoons today, 29 degrees tommorrow morning. Sigh......
  18. baltimore bob

baltimore bob Member

I'm trying to gather the courage to start a thread on the restoration of my Post, it just looks embaressingly bad right now. Has anybody had any contact with Post's new owners? They have ignored all my e mails. I guess Egg Harbor spoiled me with their support of legacy owners.
  19. water-baby

water-baby Member

Bob,
    I'm sad to say I have experienced the same thing. They don't seem to care about owners of older post. Just new builds, as far as I know they don't have any orders yet......I did get a return phone call over a year after my inquiry, and then they never followed up.
    I talked to john at miami and was told I would be contacted but that was February and nothing. Yet.
    Sad part is it has discouraged me from placing a order for a new post.
    Maybe new bertram.....
  20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I hope somebody up north (@ Post) is reading this..
    To many Post owners & fans out here for the factory not to have some rep respond to e-mails and calls.