Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for Burger

My Post 42 (Kinda Long...Sorry)

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Island Runner, Mar 13, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ruby

ruby Member

generator

I have an 8.0 onan in my 46 post and was thinking about going to a bigger genset due to changing other systems and probably having the need for more juice. Has anyone looked into other gensets and the size differences?
  2. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Hi DavidDoc and Ruby,

Are you having problems with the size ( in KW ) of the generators that currently have ?

I've always heard that it is not really good to oversize a genny but rather to have a genny that is relatively close to the load you are driving.

That having a genny that is not well loaded doesn't really have a great benefit but it will cost you more to purchase.

I have a 7.5 Kw and it runs really well for what it is and I never have low voltage problems or niusance tripping of breakers so I think I would keep the same size unit if I were to replace it.

Just curiuos.
  3. Island Runner

Island Runner Member

In my 42 I kept the shorepower system the same - (2) 30-amp 110VAC circuits. I debated about changing over to a single 50-amp 220VAC system but I didn't want to lug a heavy 50-amp shorepower cord nor did I want to buy and fit in a Cablemaster system.

(2) 30-amp 110VAC calculates out to 7.5KW so that's the minimum genset size. Westerbeke had "boat show pricing" in effect after the Miami Boat Show and I ordered my 8KW unit then. The biggest size I would want in my system would be 9KW. Any bigger and I wouldn't be able to load it up enough. I've worked on enough 42 to 43 foot boats to notice the builders are usually putting in an 8 or 9KW genset so that gave me further peace of mind on the correct size.

At 46 feet you might need to calculate your loads and see what you get. A 10 - 12KW in a 46 may be appropriate. I've worked on a 47 Buddy Davis that has a 12KW Westerbeke (over 4000 hours and going strong) so it seems a good match there. A lot more A/C units, washer & dryer, etc. too.

It's not a one-size-fits-all proposition.....

You can always discuss your application with the genset manufacturers or distributors and get their advice.
  4. ruby

ruby Member

genset

I rode out part of super storm Sandy in my boat and we had lost power at the dock. So I had fired up my 8.0 and when I put the a/c on or heat(I can't remember now) and at the same time had the block heaters on the hot water heater on and the battery charger it had flipped the breaker on the genset. That had never happened before. I attributed it to the fact that everything was just turned on after not being on for probably 24 hours or so, the blocks were cold, the water in the hot water heater was cold, the batteries may have needed to be charged also. When I took some of the load off it was ok, during the summer if I leave the dock I have everything on with no problems. It must be as I thought everything working hard at the same time. In any event I was thinking of going to a bigger a/c unit in the salon(the original 16k
    unit is marginal on a hot day), and possibly putting a fridge up on the bridge.
    So I think I will need to go bigger but I also do not want something thats much bigger physically than what is there now.
  5. Island Runner

Island Runner Member

ruby, at 46 feet you could benefit from a bigger genset than 8KW, especially if you have a 220VAC system. If you have 220VAC you can use that to power your heavy load items - stove/oven, hot water heater, AC compressors, washer & dryer, etc. That will really reduce your amperage vs. 110VAC power. That fact was the biggest draw I had when re-wiring my 42. 220VAC would have made power distribution easier. But man those 50-amp shore power cords are heavy!

I didn't realize the 46 had only an 8KW genset - you 46 owners generally have 220VAC systems or the same double 30-amp 110VAC like the 42?
  6. ruby

ruby Member

My boat does use 2 -50 to 30 amp cords. I was thinking about also changing to a 50 amp cord. Although many times I may only find a dock with 2 30 amp outlets
  7. Island Runner

Island Runner Member

OK - here's some photos of updates since last posting any pictures.

Last haulout back in the spring of this year (2012) I finally installed a new genset and also replaced the old wood rubrail with the one shown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have most of the renovations completed on the head.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I removed all the doors and installed new hardware. I never did like the handles in the middle of the doors so I removed them and cut ventilation openings in each door and covered it with the SS vent shown. New hinges, new knobs and new handles on the drawers throughout the boat. (There are a LOT of drawers and doors.....)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Installed two new Pompanette helm chairs on Pompanette 27 inch pedistals. Companion seat required some glass work to build up a level surface due to the camber of the deck. It's never as easy as it looks......

[​IMG]

And so it goes. Still a long list of to-dos and maintenance is a never ending thing as any boat owner knows.

Island Runner
  8. chesapeake46

renovation pictures

Wow, it looks fantastic.

You took a fine boat and made it better.

Congrats.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You can usually find a 50amp everywhere, it's harder to find 2-30amp plugs, many marina's only have 1-30amp and 1-50amp for each slip and you better hope the guy next to you isn't using the other 30 amp...... Needless to say you can buy a splitter to join 2-30amps to a single 50amp female. The only downside is if you're a 110volt 30amp boat, and only have a single 30amp plug you can still run most things.....if you're a 50amp boat, you either need BOTH 30amps or a single 50......
  10. Island Runner

Island Runner Member

Sorry the links to Photobucket don't work. I'll try to upload the images directly.

Attached Files:

11. Island Runner

Island Runner Member

Here's a few more....

Attached Files:

12. Island Runner

Island Runner Member

And finally the last from the earlier post.

Attached Files:

13. MaxPower

MaxPower Senior Member

outstanding job mate ... pleasure to see the result of your hard work ...
  14. chesapeake46

photo bucket worked fine on this end.
    posting the pics are easier to scope tho.
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I do like the clean look of the bridge. Is there a safety rail yet to be installed behind the bridge seats?
    ,rc
  16. Beau

Beau Senior Member

She's a beauty! Do you find those spray rail helpful?
  17. Island Runner

Island Runner Member

rc, I intend to have a railing up there on the flybridge but have held off because what I really would like to do is replace the old Pipewelders tower with a new hardtop. Then the railing would part of the new hardtop pipework. I got a quote on a railing a few years back for something 2 grand +/- and I don't want to invest that much money if I just end up scrapping the whole thing. On the other hand a new hardtop will be pretty big $$ so until I resolve that in my mind I am just very careful up there.

IR
  18. Island Runner

Island Runner Member

I find the spray rails to be a pain in the #%*! I've never run an old 42 except mine and it has them so, yes, I believe them to be helpful. But given the right conditions you can still get a face full of seawater!

The pain relates to the fact that these spray rails are actually teak and my copper colored boottop covers a large portion of the rails. The dark copper color expands and contracts in the Florida sunshine, the paint cracks, water intrudes and every haulout includes wood repair and touch up the paint.

I am getting tired of this aspect of the spray rails.

IR
  19. Beau

Beau Senior Member

IR

There is a company out there that make molded rubber rails if you every put that project on your already extensive list of projects. Send more photos as you complete things.
  20. Island Runner

Island Runner Member

Thanks Beau. To be honest .... I'm getting tired. I've been at it off and on for 7 and a half years. This has been a cash proposition from day one so when I have the money the major stuff gets done and when the bank account gets low things wait. I am proud of what I've done but there is still so much more I think needs to be done and I just don't know if I'm going to make it. Maybe it's time for the next guy to step in and take it from here.

I'm tired.

IR