Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport

MTU 4000 Sea Water Pump

Discussion in 'Engines' started by denmer, Aug 2, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. denmer

denmer New Member

does anyone know of a shop rebuilding mtu 4000 series sea water pumps?
    I have an otherwise perfect pump with a salt water drip.
  2. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Both Scarano Marine and RPM diesel in Fort Lauderdale can service the 4000 series raw water pump.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Please do some searches on this forum. MTU pump service has been brought up before.
  4. denmer

denmer New Member

thank you for the reply. I had already contacted rpm and they said that the 4000 series pumps were not rebuildable. this morning I spoke to Scarano and they too are not aware of anyone rebuilding the 4000 series pumps. its frustrating as there is a schematic of the pump with part numbers for internals. internet search of the part numbers does show availability in Europe.
  5. captholli

captholli Senior Member

I know that the 4000 series have had a couple of different manufacturers of the raw water pumps since it was introduced and figured RPM or Scarano would offer a remanufactured pump at a discount from the $13,000-dollar new units if they couldnt service it for you. I do remember some discussion on YF the Capt Ralph was referring to about no rebuild kits available for the Burke 4000 series pumps and that MTU authorized service was basically forcing new raw water pumps on customers. Give MTU France a call in Cannes and see what they have to say about the availability of rebuild kits for your pump. BTW, what raw water pump manufacturer is on your 4000 series?
  6. denmer

denmer New Member

its a Steimel pump. thanks for the suggestion, I will try mtu France, one of my former engineers is there now and dealing with them
  7. Slimshady

Slimshady Senior Member

Can't a good machine shop rebuild it?
    What parts need to be replaced? Seems manufacturer of pumps is in bed with mtu and they all win when customer is forced to replace not rebuild. Those are very expensive motors, rebuild for all major components should be standard operating procedure.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The larger MTU pumps are not what we are used to. Not a rubber impeller but a ridged stainless one pressed on to the shaft.
    Custom made for MTU.
    The bearings are pressed also. Somewhere buried back there is the shaft seal. No telling if that seal is available at all.
    Big asp pump but not a lot of room for extraction or assembly tools.
    Weigh over 90lbs. Cost over $6K when you can find one.

Found the 6 year old YF thread.
    No joy then either.
    https://www.yachtforums.com/threads/mtu-raw-water-pumps.26120

I'm afraid when the dust settles, another $8K is going to get spent before this project get back on the water.
    Stay out of the silt is the only advice I can offer for the future.
  9. Slimshady

Slimshady Senior Member

Man that stinks. I really resent manufacturer's that play the revenue game, unfortunately they are all doing it now. My dad had a machine shop for making prototypes/ R and D for his medical company that they sold in 07'.
    We'd have that pump rebuilt in a short weekend and remind them about it at the next boat show!
  10. denmer

denmer New Member

I did buy the new pump but I kept the old one as they only give a $800 core refund
    this is the third pump on that engine with still under 4000 hours. there are so many mtu 4000 series engines out there now that I am surprised no one is rebuilding these pumps. it is really a great engine but way too expensive to maintain.
  11. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Re-mans for the 2000 series go for $8,000 nowadays so no way in hades will you find a 4000 series raw water pump anywhere near that price ($8,000) save for a fresh off the back of the truck on Ebay or maybe when a disgruntled engineer & Captain raids the spares bin and sells online like Ivanna Trumps Russian engineer & Capt. did aboard her Baja in 2004 after going 6 months without pay as they had a field day selling all the spares aboard online. (They got caught BTW). Last vessel that I was on had 16v4000 m73L series installed and we kept a complete freshwater pump and a raw water pump in spares, and I recall the invoice for the raw water pump being $13-14,000 in 2017 dollars and the freshwater pump was close to $20,000. I don't know what the OP has aboard be it 8v, 12, 16 or 20 v 4000 series but for the 12v4000 and up your looking @ $13,000 + for a raw water pump.
  12. IndMarine

IndMarine New Member

Are you breaking the shafts or is it just dripping? I’ve replaced dozens of these pumps and maybe able to help with more information

Also there are a few parts that are not available for the pumps to be rebuilt and probably will never be.
  13. denmer

denmer New Member

it is just dripping. that is the only issue I have had with all three failed pumps. I believe I found a shop to rebuild it in south florida. I will post the results.
  14. NautLost

NautLost New Member

Any update on this? Looking to have MTU pumps rebuilt
  15. denmer

denmer New Member

The pump went to depco in clearwater because they thought they could rebuild it.
    They could not.
    Apparently proprietary tools are required to get them apart so only option is factory remans with the old pumps credited as cores.
  16. NautLost

NautLost New Member

Thanks - where did you end up getting the reman pumps from?
  17. denmer

denmer New Member

from the factory, I believe that is the only option