Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for JetForums Click for Mulder

Mtu 4000 M-90 Break-in

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Saar, Dec 8, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Saar

Saar New Member

Hey everybody,
    I would be happy to get a few adviced and usefull information about the best way to treat the engines at theire break-in period.
    I have 2 MTU 4000, M-90.
    Engine's hours: 150 each.

Thank you very much!
    Saar
  2. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Hi Saar & welcome to YF,
    At 150 hrs your 4000 series are already broken in so to speak. A new MTU 4 stroke engine break In for the first 50 hrs you would want to have varying RPM , loading for the head temps & exhaust temps to seat the valves and seats properly. Basically MTU
    Will tell you not to run the same RPM for extended periods of time for a proper break in period. MTU will also ask that you don't let the new engine idle for long periods of time While in the break in period. This pretty much would apply to any new engine be it 2 stroke diesel , gasoline engine or a gas turbine. You want expansion and contraction to take place within the different load heat specs that the engine was designed to operate.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  3. Saar

Saar New Member

Thank you very much captholli!
    That was very helpfull.

Is there also a forum specified in MTU 4000?
    I would be happy if you know where can I see all the treatments/ Maintenances that this engine require...
    Best Regards!
    Saar
  4. captholli

captholli Senior Member

MTU has a good online presence. Google your MTU model number for operation and maintenance files and you'll find PDF's with complete manuals and attachments. You might have to drill down a couple of times to get past the spec sheets but the complete manuals are out there.
  5. Saar

Saar New Member

Once again,
    Thank you!
  6. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Saar,
    The best thing that you can do if your serious about learning how to maintain and have an above average working knowledge of this engine is to take the MTU CM2 maintainers course for the 4000 series from the MTU training centers. I took a 4000 series course in 2006 in Ft Lauderdale but I think the training is now done in Detroit MI.
    Go to Mtu-online.com and have a look see for the courses offered. If your vessel travels to the Med. than I recommend the course syllabus at the Plant 1 factory in Friedrickchafen Germany. Try to stay in a hotel in Romanshorn Switzerland and take the ferry across lake Constance to Friedrichshafen in the morning and afternoon. You'll make a lifetime memory doing this. Spectacularly beautiful. I was lucky enough to spend eight weeks there taking the 396 and 595 technicians courses and will be ever grateful to my employer
    Subaru of America for sending the second engineer and myself there.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  7. Saar

Saar New Member

Thank you very much,
    I would take this course in a few months,
    right now we are very busy and I have no time- but this is a very good idea!
    It does sound like a good memory, unfortienetly I would not depart the med at 2015...
    Thank you! :)
  8. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

Your manual will have the maintenance schedule in it, or contact FDDA service dept. and they can send you a copy. At 150 hrs you wont have much until the first oil change, @ 250 hrs.