Click for JetForums Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for MotorCheck Click for Burger

MTU 16V2000 M91 full rebuild; in vessel

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Pascal, Oct 31, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Fiammetta42

Fiammetta42 Member

It’s very clever ( space permitting) the guys have been able to rig a hoist to lift it , invert it , re rotate it back and block it off as they wish …..all in situ .
    Great thread btw .Pic threads always all Thx .
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Monster crank journals also. Note, not a lot of stroke.
  3. T.T.

T.T. Senior Member

Thank you Pascal!
    Images are great.
  4. Slimshady

Slimshady Senior Member

Imagine that's to keep motor compact in size "relatively "
  5. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Oh is that all it takes? Looks easy! :rolleyes:

Very,very impressive. Thanks Pascal

All comes down to when you hit that ''Start'' button again. Hope all goes well. Sound like they did a great job on the first motor, should be the same result on this one.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I m not the one pressing the start button for the first time…. They do! Until we come back from sea trial I don’t tough anything :)
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Engine moved over back where it belongs and god bye list to starboard :). Oil pump on

Attached Files:

8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Cylinder heads going on. All 16 of them.

Attached Files:

Hound dog likes this.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

4000 hours is not a lot of hours to have to do rebuilds. The price MTU charges on the M96's is crazy expensive.
  10. captholli

captholli Senior Member

MTU major service intervals are W-2, W-4, W-6 / 2,000-4,000 & 6,000 hrs. 2,000 hrs. are injectors, pumps. coolers and turbo service. 4,000 hrs is W-2 plus heads off and valve train replacement. 6,000 hrs is W-2 & 4 with cams and crankshaft replacement, pistons and con rods, new turbos and new coolers and pumps. Seem like Pascal is doing a W-6 at 4,000 and when the owner decides to sell, this vessel will much more appealing to buyers and the sales price will reflect this major service done early. I know the cost of performing a W-6 on 4000 series & would venture that this service easily tops $250,000 on the 2000 series.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Last year we did an inframe on the port engine with new kits, new bearings, new heads, new pumps, new coolers, rebuilt turbos, new injectors / upi , new starter and alternators…

When they dropped the pan on this one we found crankshaft damage so we had to do full rebuild incl new crankshaft, new camshaft bearings, new main seals, new damper etc. camshaft was checked and polished. That added $100k to the initial $200k.

There was no point in doing a half job. owners weren’t thrilled but it increases the boat value and peace of mind.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Here is that point again; Proper maintenance includes rebuilds. I feel it maintains value but does not increase value.
    Any boat that does not prove proper maintenance is below value.
    I do agree, peace of mind is pretty important.

Now, my question, does this rebuild offer the big MTU (extended) warranty program?
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Not that I know. I have never been a fan of extended warranties anyway. Ridiculously expensive with way too long a list of exclusions.
    bayoubud likes this.
  14. captholli

captholli Senior Member

With MTU service intervals completed it will mean the difference between a sale or no sale for a yacht. Many a large yacht have lingered for years on the market with 6,000 + hrs. due to the previous owner not wanting to spend 1 million $$ + to perform w-6 service on twin 16v-396 tb-94 or 4000 series engines. Once these major W services have been completed the owner will recoup monies spent in the asking / selling price. This scenario isn't anything new and has been proven over and over through the years with MTU's installations.
  15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The lack of service records is why the current owners got such a great deal, even considering the $500k spent on both engines plus another $50/60k on various systems.
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You have to think. we wash our boats, that is not to build up the value but to maintain it.
    Engine overhaul is not an improvement, but maintenance per time/operation.
    Per your comments; the lack of proper maintenance on twin 16v-396 tb-94 or 4000 series engines, I would not want to purchase these vessels either, but the seller recouping his money??? or just getting the value on a properly maintained boat???
    You want a boat that was never washed? Nor not properly maintained??
    I contest, overhaul is a part of proper maintenance and not an value upgrade/improvement...
    AGP22 likes this.
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I have/had C32 customers that rebuilt just to keep their Cat extended warranties.
    Any time that volt meter twitches, a new alternator goes on. If that engine does not start in 1/2 second, their tech is there the same morning.
    I have witnessed on Sunday afternoons, whole options getting replaced to satisfy a problem that just was not perfect.
    Yes, could be abusive,, but for what CAT charges for it, these kids call them up at all hours of the day & night,,,, AND they respond..

So, for $80K, does MTU come out and turn your pillow??
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I looked at extended warranties 6 years ago for the C32s of the 84 I ran. Ridiculously expensive. We put 2000+ hours on them in 5 years, trouble free.
  19. Slimshady

Slimshady Senior Member

Just signed paperwork for cat c32 ex warranty platinum plus total coverage 5 yr, 6000 hr new motors, $13k each motor
    ChiTown likes this.
  20. captholli

captholli Senior Member

I understand your position on proper maintenance and would venture to say were not talking apples to apples here. Oil and filter changes are proper maintenance on normal engines where a Jabsco raw water pump costs $3,000 dollars or so and an oil cooler might be $5,000 and the service regiment recommended by the manufacturer is followed but the MTU upper service regiments and exorbitant costs of W-4 and W-6 service make owners eyes water with the $$$ involved where Raw water pumps cost $13,000 + coolers $36,000 and on and on. To give you an example. An immaculate and highly maintained 1987 40-meter Abeking and Rasmussen was on the market for sale a few yrs. ago with an asking price of 5.8 million with no takers due to W-6 service needed on triple 16v-396 engines at a cost of $3 million plus for the service. The yacht sat stale on the market for sale for over three years with plenty of interest until the issue of the W-6 service was brought into the picture. The owner kept dropping the price every 6 months until it was down to $700,000 still with no takers and he was finally considering donating the boat due to his new 53- meter Delta Marine being delivered. Being who this man is and his love for his long-held yacht he finally bit the bullet and had the W-6 service performed on all three engines along with an engine room re-spray in Awl-grip and some minor cosmetic updates in the rubber band room and the boat sold within 60 days bringing his original asking price or very close to it. This is the same man who held the leases on the WTC when 911 happened and the insurance companies didn't want to pay for either tower due to an act of terrorism. Not only did this man prevail and beat the insurance companies but received compensation for both towers as two separate acts of terrorism causing underwriters to rethink / re-write their policy terrorism clauses. Even the smartest financial minds break at the thought of scheduled MTU W-6 service on their beloved yacht that they've enjoyed for several years but know that either the design or style is long in the tooth and they're looking to upgrade to the next purchase or build a new vessel and are reluctant to make the capital investment knowing that the next boat for them is on the horizon and they would rather pass the expense of W-6 service to the new owners. This but one example out of many where an owner recouped his W-6 service investment when selling his yacht. Maybe it's just a MTU thing.