Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross

MTU 16v2000 diesel longevity and overal comments

Discussion in 'Engines' started by ArielM, Nov 28, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. captholli

captholli Senior Member

No cooling water... Should have had enough alarms to look like a Christmas tree prior to a fire though.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Lack of raw water flow
  3. Jorge Lang

Jorge Lang Senior Member

Why buy new when they can be rebuilt from the block up?
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I know I m reviving a 9 year old thread but some of the members are still active.

Friday during routine bilge cleaning and checking we found some rust under our port 16V2000 M91. Came out of the raw water pump which had salt residue… yep, leaking pump. That pump is still under warranty and was replaced during the rebuilt. No damage to the engine as the weep hole wasn’t obstructed yet… just hoping the pump is in stock

not impressed by MTU. Same story with a failed starter last year, also under warranty. Btw these MTU starters are now made in china…

compare this 13 previous years and 7000+ hours running 3412Es and C32s… never replaced a raw water pump and only replaced one starter!
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've found that everything bolted to the MTU's are cheap quality......starters, alternators, pumps etc........that and the millions of alarms that go off on them from the myriad of sensors.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Yeah… we also had a new MTU starter fail within months of the engine rebuild. Turns out they are now made in china… thankfully I had the original starter rebuilt, much better quality.

according to my mechanic, if a leaky pump isn’t caught in time, the salt will clog up the weep hole and water will be pushed into the engine thru the seal… apparently this what had happened to our port engine a few years ago resulting in bearing and crankshaft damage

needless to say, we ll be paying more attention to the pumps from now on