Click for MotorCheck Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker Click for Delta

More illegal charter crackdown

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by Pascal, Jan 9, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

https://www.nbc-2.com/clip/14947918...6Xnuy1_zK6a8AwUr6FbV8RnOB__AWu-KTTgBjdtzhbeqg
    @ 2:35
    I have heard the lip flapping of old or out dated questions (MMD Test) before.
    I can not imagine an example.
    Colregs has always been the same.
    Weather has always been the same.
    Responsible cargo handling has always been the same.
    What few questions for my TOW endorsement still apply.
    OUPV has always been the same.

What other lame excuses can a law breaker (knowing) come up with?
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

No excuse. That said boats have changed, become larger and gotten a lot safer in the last 30+ years and it would be time to lower the 100GT threshold at which a boat can take up to 12 pax as an uninspected vessel. Down to maybe 50GT or even 25GT. (obviously with a Master not an OUPV)

It would more realistic, would not endanger passengers and would prevent people from using the bare boat loophole
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  4. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

People just aren't getting it are they?
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hey, A cheap boat ride,,, What could go wrong??
    SFBs..
  6. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

No, I meant the operators.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Operators will always be there.
    So Let me re-phrase that;
    Hey, A fast buck,,, What could go wrong??
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'm about 40 miles North of there, and the only place I'm hearing about the crackdowns are on this website......so most of the operators probably aren't hearing anything, or just don't care. If they cared, they'd be legal to begin with.

Oddly, never seen a 50' Cary converted to outboards...….makes a whole lot of sense to a boat nobody wants anymore with 4-454 gas with stern drives.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The huge speakers non that boat screamed not just what was likely crappy music but “stop me”! Duh...

here in Miami the USCG has installed signs at most marina gates and entrances advising charterers on how to make sure their charters are legal. Hard to believe operators don’t know about the on going efforts
  10. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Oh they do. It's in the papers and on the evening news on a regular basis. But, there's also a lot of people in jail for dealing dope. Still, every street corner is a cash and carry. Like Cap Ralph said.... A fast buck except they know what can go wrong, it's just worth the risk to them. CG is trying to worsen the odds. I hope they succeed.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Not mine!!! :p:p:p
  12. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Oh, I have an outstanding warrant;
    I'll take out 20 people (including some minors) and really attract some attention to my boat and my self.
    SFB
    !cid_D67BCD71C9AA4BD0B39DAFAB273D895D@DESKTOPA25L25J.jpg
    Next charges should be against the passengers;
    Contributing to a minor and child endangerment.
    Sadly, there is still no law against being stupid.
  15. AnotherKen

AnotherKen Member

If you really want to get in to trouble, just try to find a way to cross the border without getting intercepted by the military or coast guard ;)
  16. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

A sizable percentage of those with warrants are arrested as a result of committing another crime or violation. Example, have warrant for failure to appear, drive around in a car with a missing tail light.

Now warrants do fall into two categories. There are those for crimes and then those for failure to pay for minor violations.
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Has anybody here gotten on a boat, from a 6 pax charter to a ferry or even a cruise ship, and counted the PFD's? And who in Florida doesn't carry a gun and some weed? Can't blame the passengers for what everyone does every day (on land). I notice one thing notably missing from the possible penalties, Asset Forfeiture. Add that and you might get the illegal charterer's attention.
  18. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Back on topic.

The illegal charters do two things. First, they hurt those who run legal charters financially, although perhaps less than one might thing as many of their passengers wouldn't pay a legitimate charter price and a legitimate charter captain wouldn't want many of them. This is a great example of that with minors drinking.

That leads into the real issue, safety. Amazing how many accidents and even deaths come from illegal charters. One thing that is so relevant to safety is to think about how few people drown wearing PFD's. I've known game wardens, wildlife agents, and CG officers who get involved with recoveries and lament each time that if the victim had only had a life jacket on. Now, I don't wear one all the time but sure am prepared in the event one appears to be needed as are my guests. Children have age appropriate PFD's. Underage drinking or marijuana use by those under 21 often leads to loss of judgement and balance, both of which are dangerous on a boat.

I would like to see harsher penalties applied to illegal charterers including loss of all boating rights and/or loss of boat.
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

YES!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.