Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums

More FL Builders Heading to NC

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by CaptTom, Nov 23, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

Thanks NYCAP for taking away that last little bit of hope that I had:D
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Glad I could help.:( I've done a lot of different jobs in my life, but have yet to find the one that wasn't work or have a down side. Sorry, but at least you now know to cozy up to a lawyer.:D
  3. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

I understand the draw of the resort marina to the type of people who go there - after all, we wintered at Bahia Mar after selling the apartment (and its slip) in Palm Beach - but for a home port I still prefer a boatyard over a resort marina.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The boats that use resort marinas as home port tend to be floating condos and barnacle farms. From when I took over it took until my second season to convince the people that I'd get them in safe if they went out (It was a tight marina with a strong current running through it). Hate boats that don't move.
  5. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

FL companies move to NC because labor rates are less, and the environmental laws are not as strict. Land prices in FL are greater, so rents are higher also. It's not a mystery.

Outright insults/calling other members derogatory names should not be allowed in a civil forum. No one forces anyone to read what other members post. Some type of admonishment should be forthcoming IMHO.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You're right. Sometimes it's near irresistable though, but what are you referring to?:confused:
  7. Pelagic Dreams

Pelagic Dreams Senior Member

Good points all around, but I am thinking about buying a yacht from a US company who builds them in China. Would I rather buy a US built yacht, yes. But in the true market economy labor is a huge factor when quality remains the same. I can find no fault in any, any company finding the best quality labor pool at the most affordable price...that's buisness.
    As time goes on, I see a leveling of standard of living for those in the blue collar labor pool. You might kick the dirt but this is now a global economy in terms of labor price, and not everyone in the world expects to live in a big house and own multiple autos. Hey, that's who we are competing with, and unless US quality surpasses all other labor markets, companies will seek the most affordable market.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That's a fluid situation. China's labor rate is rising and they are experiencing a lot of quality control problems in many manufacturing areas. Made in USA has always stood for quality.
    There are also different motives for running a company. Many if not most feel their job is to make money. Others share the wealth and feel that their purpose is to make things better for their neighbors. Just this morning I saw a clip about a woman who realized that she needed to lower her labor costs...so she quit, turning the company over to the employees. She gave up, I believe, a $300K salary. Funny thing was that she walked out the door and mentioned what she'd done to a friend and was promptly offered her dream job.
  9. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

I think you can read the thread and figure it out.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Got ya. Thought you might be referring to something more recent and didn't understand. Sending you a PM.
  11. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

You're short on bucks and think Enrique is going to help you out? You're in for rude awakening.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Problem is, the quality is not the same. The Asian built boats have poor quality stainless steel in general, have overcomplicated fuel systems and electrical systems most all of the time. They are also heavy and have poor performance in comparison. Basically they use a ton of fuel to go a lot slower. Overall they are still pretty good quality, but do have their shortcomings in comparison to a US built boat.
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,
    And that isn't a biased comment?
  14. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

Enrique rebuilt my alarm circuit board ... no problem.

The cost was not extravagant.

I don't disagree with the idea expressed in this thread that "good value" is the goal. Unfortunately, when paying $1,250 per day (also mentioned in the thread) ... and I agree that it's a pretty good assumption (whether work is happening or not) ... the end result is often crap value.

I'm just being cautious and I'm sick of being ripped off. The labor rate is probably the least of my problems. It's unscrupulous shysters who charge $75-$95 / hour and then work 1/2 that amount of time ... screw up the work and then tell you to f-off when asking them to make it right.

As far as legal action goes ... lets see ... hire a shyster to go after a shyster. The only common denominator is me getting the shaft from the shyster.

Just learning a few hard lessons ... that's all.

I love my boat and will be present for the majority of the work that is taking place from now on.

Mike
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

There used to be a bikers decal with a guy bending over to give his dealer a better angle. Same goes for any expensive toy. Unless you're lucky or know (take care of) your service manager it to be expected to some degree.
  16. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Rebuilding a circuit board is hardly a gauge of how expensive he is. Don't get me wrong, Enrique is among the best in the business but also among the most expensive, I just find it funny that you mention him in the same post while discussing trying to save money.
  17. tirekicker11

The main difference is buying a boat when you're 35 instead of 55. Why would I buy American quality after 20 years saving instead of settling for less but enjoying now.

I want my coffee from an espresso machine, I want a new laptop every 3 years, I want a near new car every 2 years and my wife too, besides that I drive a motorbike just for fun, I have 7 pairs of shoes and don't want to do with less, when I feel like buying new clothes I want to be able to do so, we have an average of 1 widescreen tv per member of this household and I don't feel like that is outragious. How could I do all that with American quality products?
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

When you buy the American boat at 35 you may still have it when you're 55 (instead of your 8th boat, with a 2030 price tag and a 30 year mortgage) plus a pile of saved commissions, repair costs and inflationary dollars as well. Then at 55 you can still afford the 7 pairs of shoes no matter what the economy is like at the moment. Quality pays.:rolleyes:
  19. tirekicker11

NYCAP I like your theory but the choice is not between an American or a Chinese boat, the choice is between being able to afford a boat at 35.
    I much rather ride a Confederate Hellcat but I have to settle with my Honda if I want to ride at all.
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Here's a novel approach: Waiting until you can afford what you really want (quality) rather than compromising. When you develope that habit you can then afford even nicer stuff later on. Of course, there is the modern path of using whatever the banks are willing to give you to get more than you can really afford which works great until your income shrinks and you have to pay a few hundred grand just to get rid of the toy as the bank takes your over- valued home. BTW, I'm not talking so much about American boats but rather high quality wherever that comes from (although if the shoe fits...).