Click for Westport Click for JetForums Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

MOB system for ~60' vessel - ACR OLAS?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by incoming, Dec 13, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. incoming

incoming Member

Looking into getting a MOB system for our 58' viking sportfish. From the research I've done it seems the ACR OLAS system with the base station and extender is the only thing rated for a vessel over 40'-50.' I want a system that:

-Is wearable by 4-8 people on board - and convenient/comfortable enough that people will wear them for longer trips.
    -Alerts more than one person if someone goes overboard (e.g., either a master alarm at the helm and/or can be paired with multiple smart phones in case the captain is the one who falls in the drink)
    -Suitable for fishing and cruising ~20-30nmi offshore and/or trips to the bahamas

The reviews of the OLAS wrist tags are not very good - seems like people have a hard time getting them paired, and experience lots of false alarms. And I have yet to find a review of someone who has combined the wrist tags, base station, and extender, making me wonder how many people are actually using this system on anything other than center consoles and runabouts.

Does anyone have experience with this system on a similar sized vessel? Any recommendations for alternatives to look into?