Click for Mag Bay List Your Boat Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Lurssen

MMSI via FCC or Other?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Prospective, May 16, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Prospective

    Prospective Senior Member

    Sep 27, 2016
    New England
    Have done some searches here and elsewhere. Seems to be a lot of mixed opinions. I am intending to register my VHF's and buy a new AIS Class B transponder. I do not currently have an MMSI and nothing has been programmed in my VHF's yet. My understanding is FCC regulations require that you obtain a Ship Station License and MMSI via the FCC is you are planning to travel in foreign waters. Alternatively you can get one more easily and cheaply via Sea Tow or Boat U.S. for domestic use only.

    My question is, I have no idea what I might do in the future. It is not out of the question that I could take this boat to Nova Scotia one summer or to the Bahamas one winter although I have no immediate plans to do either and, at least on this boat, it may never happen.

    So, anybody have any opinions on the trade-offs?
  2. Capt Fred

    Capt Fred Senior Member

    Jun 22, 2009
    Long Beach CA
    The FCC route is not too expensive and it is good for 10 years if my memory is correct.
  3. Kapn

    Kapn Member

    Aug 31, 2009
    The Sea Tow and Boat US route is more user friendly. The FCC route takes more patience. Basically you have to establish an FRN which is an account and log-in info. Then you apply for a ship station license SA or SB from memory.