Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for Walker

Mirabella V Video...

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by Mirabella V, May 23, 2006.

1. Mirabella V

Mirabella V New Member

While on charter Mirabella V was video taped by a local company (Acquafilms). We have tried to splice together a couple of minutes of worthwhile action, but unlike the MoBo you showed earlier, there are very few long steady shots. So in general, what do you guys think of this? I know it's jumpy and busy, but is it interesting to watch? I know she's a raggie, but I am interested in your feedback. She's doing 16-18 knots, in 17-19 knots of breeze.

Click here for video (70MB, hosted in England, so may be slow to buffer)

Carl: Drop me a line if you want to host this video yourself, I can reformat it down to whatever size you want.

Joe
  2. foundrycourt

foundrycourt New Member

Thanks for sharing. Great footage:) . She really looks very elegant and graceful whilst underway.

Think it would have been kinda cool if there was some film from the bow and the crows nest panning around whilst underway, although, I appreciate that she was under charter at the time.
    Last edited: May 23, 2006
  3. brandonw

brandonw Senior Member

Great video!
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Joe,

I completely missed your post. So sorry! Too many details around here, not enough brain cells.

That video was great! I would imagine you're looking for feedback because you may want to use the footage to promote charters? Yes, it's a little bumpy... but WHO CARES! That vid would make a die-hard stinkpotter double check his bank balance for the needed funds!

For promotional/charter purposes, I think the video is fine for the net.
  5. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Mirabella V

Mirabella V
    Good video, and at a decent resolution which is nice for a change from the usual pixilated material that is usually put online. Some footage from onboard would augment it. Beautiful vessel under sail. I just sent the video to a couple of friends in Dubai where it's 41°C / 105°F this morning. I'm sure it'll cool them off a bit.
  6. YachtForums

Joe,

I split the M-140 thread to put the Mirabella V video under its own heading. This way, more readers are likely to see it and it makes searching for info on YF more relevant.

Carl
  7. Mirabella V

Mirabella V New Member

US hosting of video

Thanks Carl:

For those in the USA the video is now hosted locally, on
    the Mirabella's own site

I am still working on the Monaco GP video (no sailing just watching the race)

Joe
  8. MYCaptainChris

MYCaptainChris Senior Member

Wow

Where did you get that super tiny jetski on the bow, I should put some of those on my yacht to make the yacht look big!!! lol

Amazing yacht, great british engineering!
  9. YachtForums

He's right Joe... Mirabella makes PWC's look like a mouse sneaking around on deck!

Really enjoyed looking at your site. Nice lay-out, easy to navigate and plenty of compelling pictures that promote the experience one can expect with chartering. Beyond that, she's so beautiful to behold, you find yourself slipping into a dream while starring endlessly at her different perspectives.

I think Chris is homesick. ;)
  10. YachtForums

Joe,

I’m sure there’s some technical info or editorial floating around, but I can’t help wonder what kind of loads are being generated to make a 247’ long, 765 ton yacht with 50’ of beam… lean over 10 degrees or more. The load transferred to the mast… and ultimately to its mounting points must be staggering.

Also, does the pool on the forward deck double as a garage for the tender? If so, that’s some good space management! If you get a chance, would enjoy learning more.
  11. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I can't seem to remember where, but I've seen that aplication on sailing yachts before, especially on smaller ones.
  12. Ben

Ben Senior Member

13. Mirabella V

Mirabella V New Member

Carl:

The mast step compression load runs from 420-470 tonnes (metric). Which was a bit scary to us when we watched them build it in 5 pieces and then "glue" it together. But they told us the glue is actually stronger than the carbon fibre.

She's actually healing around 12 degrees in the video, and I think they got her to 15 just last week....so we're getting braver all the time. MCA's demands were pretty onerous, so she's built extra tough. They required the joint between the steel keel box and the composite hull had to hold a 90 degree knock down with keel fully extended....that's 150 tonnes of keel down 33 feet. But chances are that if she was in a situation where something could knock her over, we would have retracted the keel (I know that life is full of surprises…but that’s a big one).

There are two pools on the foredeck, both of which act as stowage for the smaller tenders, and when covered the foredeck is flush (apart from the jetski's which are gasoline powered and therefore cannot go in the garage ...MCA again). Between them is a crane, which also disappears under the teak. The port side pool holds 14 tonnes of heated fresh water, and has a jacuzzi built in for 20 people. The starboard side fills with salt water, and includes a stationary swimming facility.

Joe
  14. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

What a treat, Joe.
    Thanks for sharing the Mirabella vid.
    I assume she carries a 'chute as well--- maybe we'll see her fly that as well?

Anyone who has ever done any sailing can certainly appreciate the sheer power involved here. What a moose!

All this whilst the earth shifted slightly on it's axis, Carl--- is this the first ragboat featured ever in YF's hallowed halls?
  15. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

YF.com had a full feature on Athena earlier this year... another impressive project.
  16. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Kevin, I stand corrected.
  17. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Joe
    Thanks for the info & link to your site. Will Mirabella V ever grace the Connecticut shoreline? I had the pleasure of visiting one of your other Mirabellas while in Greenwich many years ago.

p.s. If you don't have any sons, I would make myself available for adoption:D
  18. Mirabella V

Mirabella V New Member

Not so fast Dave...I am one of his sons, this is Joe jr speaking.

I am afraid that there is no chance of M5 ever making it to Greenwich. Two reasons:

1) Not enough charter business on the East Coast for this type of boat, and she needs to work.

2) Anti-Polution requirements for visiting US waters now make it too expensive to enter US waters...we probably won't even go to USVI anymore. Once you are over 500t they go silly with the regs...it's a real shame, but they don't care.

Joe
  19. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

LOL Hey, I thought I'd try. :eek: It's too bad there are so many regulations that deter yachts like yours from entering the USA
  20. chriscritchett

chriscritchett New Member

Hi Joe, very interesting to hear from someone so close to the project. Just curious - what sort of anti-pollution regs do US waters have that you can't meet?

And don't let anyone harp on you about being a 'ragboat', where does that come from anyway? Didn't realize I was on "Motor Yacht Forums"...