Click for MotorCheck Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Westport

Minimal crew required by law for 100 foot catamaran?

Discussion in 'General Catamaran Discussion' started by gp333, Feb 6, 2011.

1. gp333

gp333 Guest

How much minimal crew by law must have 100 feet catamaran?
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Private?
    Commerical?
    Flag?
    Operating area?
    Tonnage?
  3. gp333

gp333 Guest

Private?
    RE: YES

Commerical?
    RE: NO

Flag?
    RE: maybe MALTA Flag... I ask all this that I learn.. flag can be different, if flag allow less people on crew

Operating area?
    RE: EU waters + worldwide...

Tonnage?
    RE: till 100T
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Then almost certainly no manning requirements. Check with flag state to confirm.
  5. gp333

gp333 Guest

aha thnx!
  6. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Somewhere around 3-4 years ago I was approached by a client about a 100-120 foot version of my 65 gamefishing catamaran design, ...but without the fishing features.

He was also an Italian gentleman, who along with another minority gentleman were wishing to do some fast cruising/daysailing/weekending around the coast of the Med. They also desired to do it short-handed, preferable with family members rather than many professional crew. He had a real appreciation of my single-masted ketch designed rig with all roller-furling sails.

During our initial conversations I tried to suggest that a slightly shorter vessel might well meet his needs, as well as his pocket book. I keep suggesting a 80-90 foot version. This would keep the size of the individual sails within reason, and also keep the length of the forestays within reason. He said he would keep that in mind for the next 6 months while his wife was finishing up a big resort hotel makeover project, after which we would attack the design in earnest. The money for the project was no problem as he indicated he had already set aside over $10M if needed. Needless to say I was excited.

As the 6 month time frame approached I became anxious that I had not heard back. I wrote a note to see if he had change his plans, or found another design....no problem if so. I received a very sorrowful reply from his wife that he had suddenly been diagnosed with a terminal cancer and only given 6 months to live. It came to be that he never got that chance to do that last big project.

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/g...n/1548-gamefishing-sail-under-sail-power.html