Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Perko Click for Delta

Mike Kajan Yacht Designs II

Discussion in 'Yacht Renderings & Plans' started by Kajan, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kajan

Kajan Senior Member

Sorry for my late reply. Yes, the idea of having all windows, not only the side ones, as power windows did cross my mind.

The old school design elements might be getting harder to find so I thought I should add some old school paint schemes on the Coupé edition to help some.

Attached Files:

2. Kajan

Kajan Senior Member

On this 90ft. explorer I wanted some flavour of “regular” sport yacht with some design elements from my previous 80m Explorer concept.
    A pocket sized explorer with a “modern” touch, and yes, it comes in blue.

Attached Files:

3. ________

No worry for delay,

I like personal these a lot but I'm afraid it is getting too far away from the open tender.

This becomes a beautiful coupe.
  4. ____________

Really new....looks good.

Maybe the more straight up back?
  5. Kajan

Kajan Senior Member

Yes, I’m doing these for my own pleasure ;)
  6. _________

Thanks sharing that with us.

Like your pleasures a lot.:D
  7. Apache2k

Apache2k Member

Could we see some topviews too? :) You are really doing good looking stuff..
  8. __________

Saw some stunning 3D's from your hand.....maybe you can make us happy here?? :D :p
  9. Rolf

Rolf New Member

Kajan, the powderhorn is too overwhelming. Try moving it forward and reducing it a little.

I also have a question about the one in post #37 and subsequent variations. I notice there is a forward cockpit, but I can't see any obvious scuppers. How much does it affect metacentric height and trim, when full of water?
  10. Kajan

Kajan Senior Member

Hi Rolf,
    If you by ”Powder horn” are referring to the bulbous bow, you might be right. Don’t forget this is a conceptual design, not a final blueprint, I’m merely suggesting there should be one.

The fact that I’m in 2D sometimes makes it harder to distinguish certain details due to poor shading such as size for one thing.
    Here I’ve removed some of the shading and perhaps the bulbous bow now appears differently and not so much in need of adjusting.

Attached Files:

11. Kajan

Kajan Senior Member

The forward cockpit is not enclosed. The slanting and generously wide deck should take care of the spray with some help from gravity.

Depending on how much high-tech you want, you could of course have hidden “gutters” on the inside and some outlets aft in order not to ruin the clean hull side, should spray become a problem.

If you take a look at some of the smaller Wally “tenders” you will find a similar forward cockpit with no visible scuppers. Sharp eye though ;)

/Mike

Attached Files:

12. ________

What about the idea of a side to side stateroom? Is it enough head room for that? Maybe nicer will be to make the front deck flush.

Also will give a lot of headroom extra.

An idea can be to make in the front deck the cushions for sunbed. Maybe with hydraulic head to lift to sit little upright.
  13. Rolf

Rolf New Member

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was referring to the powderhorn sheer of the design in post #61. Traditionally avoided altogether, but it can be made to look good in modern designs.

A bulbous bow isn't really an aesthetic feature. It will improve performance in some operating conditions and degrade performance in others. I don't think many yachts, except perhaps large long-range yachts, will benefit.

I'll also add, from personal experience, that stabilising fins are a PITA to operate and maintain. I've had fins stick in an extended position, and you'd better make them easily accessible in a comfortable working position for the poor engineer who has to fix them.
  14. Kajan

Kajan Senior Member

Ah, I see. The design wasn’t meant to be classical. The ”design brief” stipulated, US sport fisher style hull, straight bow, modern super structure and some old school lines.
  15. Kajan

Kajan Senior Member

I guess a interceptor concept like this is a dime a dozen and it’s just so much you can do on a 30ft. budget and still keep some traditional lines, but I like the concept so here goes.

Attached Files:

16. Convertible roof

Hi Mike,

On the tenders is it design technical spoken possible to make a bigger sunroof with minimal framing and to have folded roof from fabric like older convertible cars?

Like that maybe can use the full beam of the boat and put the supports on the side of the boat.

Possible you think?
  17. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

He, a new avatar! Tell us more...
  18. ___________

Like I told here and there we're into the start of building cats and this avatar is the one I hope to start this year to build for my self.

We do that on the same yard as the trawler yacht is build in my former avatar and that one I love a lot.

When I would not like to go for a cat I would maybe go for that trawler.

However the explorer in this thread tinkled me as well.

Hum....questions questions.... :rolleyes:
  19. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

More info about this cat? links?
    (wie A zegt moet ook B zeggen...)
  20. ___________

Hi Tirekicker,

I'll get you tomorrow a private email out.

It is violation of this forum to send out all details as it will be promotion for my professional part of yachting.

Only little later when I start my own 50' cat I would like to share it here....in case people are interested of course.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.