Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Westport Click for Mulder

Metal steering lines leaking

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by Boomer, Nov 25, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Had my mechanic take a peak at it...he is going to run nylon type tubing to a good spot and flair the ends together...it was leaking in 3 places from a foot from the ram to 3 feet from the ram that I saw...I always wondered why there was a oily film in the bilge water...I have a sea star unit on the bridge that goes to the can to the ram...the can has the pressure gauge on it but couldn't read it...probably zero anyways after the leak...it has the sight glass also so you can see your fluid levels...odd unit if you ask me
  2. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

By the way, thank you for everyone's input...will keep you all abreast as we hope to move this weekend from st. Pete to home in Madeira beach...this should be a simple fix if I could just contort my body into unnatural positions to repair her
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That is the old Hynautic system taken over by SeaStar.
    I do question some of your notes but your tech has eyes on and we don't.

What is your schedule to be operational? Some slow but good fishing fixing to come to a close shortly your way.
  4. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

For sure on the fishing...lol...I swear the sea star unit runs into the can and the copper tubing runs down the wire chase...I can't make this crazy stuff up
  5. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Boomer! well I am not well versed in SeaStar units ,but I'm sure someone is here....Sight glass is normal on most units so you can see if you have fluid and to keep an eye on the level for leaks...the air pressure is important to keep pressure on the fluid and lines so you have smooth , responsive steering. Track down a book/manual on your unit via internet. That will enable you to ''cut to the chase" and learn about your unit , I'm sure you will be able to find one.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The can has the check/bleed valve built to the bottom of it. From there, two lines go to the steering ram.
    Air valve (tire valve) and pressure gauge on the can top. Clear tube on can side showing fluid level, or lil blister windows on can side to show level.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Of course, Pictures are better than us playing word/term TV games..
    Vanna and I are getting to old.
    Send pictures...
    We like to watch...
  8. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Ok , Capt Ralph, I did not know that. I have and had Hynautic systems. Boomer , go to United get the right size copper refrigeration tubing, some fittings, flair tools can be had at HD or L. The tubing is not going to break the bank, I would not use nylon or plastic stuff, this is your steering we are talking about right? Do it right....Yes it runs from the cylinder down the wire chase and on to the ram. Mine is the same way.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

All good but one thing. The steering ram does move during operation. Hose or synthetic tubing is required here. I recommend hose.
  10. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

The sea star units are not pressurized...why it goes to the can and not straight to the ram befuddled me...I had a sea star on my old boat and as long as there was fluid, you had movement...why it goes into the can is besides me
  11. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Pics coming in a few days when I make it back down to see her
  12. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Correct like the older hynatic systems that had 30 something lbs of pressure that you pumped up with a bike pump
  13. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

This one needs air pressure, hence the air gauge . The Ram should not move much ,if at all, the piston moves in and out and the linkage on the end moves about to take up the various movements needed to move the rudders port and starboard still not sure if you need any hose.....but CR knows his stuff, I could be wrong. Better inspect the linkage from the Ram to the rudders since I brought it up...make sure all nuts , bolts, cotter pins, etc are in good shape and not working loose and lube em up with good old Lubriplate….
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The old (original) SeaStar just had 2 lines from the helm. You added fluid at the upper help pump.
    Great for out boards, I/O and small inboards.
    Larger systems required larger steering rams, greater volume, travel and taller pressures. Hynautic had that covered with the fluid can system.
    The third hose offered quicker fluid return and pressure kept the higher pump (helm) charged with a solid supply of fluid. Any air was in the can, not near the helm pump.
    It's a great system when nothing is leaking.
    Oh, the ram does move, as the tiller arm moves from beam to beam and makes an arc, the angle of connect from the ram does change. There is flex in the rams hydrolic lines.
  15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Air pressure is needed to push fluid from the reservoir to the upper helm. All systems with reservoirs need it, even new systems. Regular check of the sight gauge and pressure gauge is important and oart of the pre flight

On smaller boat, the upper helm is also the reservoir and the system just uses gravity
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Air conditioning companies carry it. Don't listen to everyone else. Replace the entire line. At the age it is, I am sure there are other places where it's ready to leak. You can use the Hynautic hose. Don't use pex.
  17. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Capt J, IMO, is right on point : do the best fix you can! Replace the entire line if any questions. I think I indicated that in my initial post - don't waste effort? Particularly because the tube is its own chase - just flare in the new material and pull/coax it thru.The lesser fix is to examine the line and replace all compromised areas with the same material or better. But don't start to introduce nylon other similar materials. Just my opinion as a user.... If the ram is transportable, make sure you have that considered.

Good luck and happy cruising. really a b@@@ch when you're trying to back into that windy, guest slip