Click for Furuno Click for Mag Bay Click for Cross Click for JetForums Click for Westport

Messin' with jpegs...46 Roamer aft enclosure plan

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by q240z, May 3, 2008.

1. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

OK , you started out with saying you are restoring a Roamer. This is why I took the liberty to say your investment will (at least over here) have a negative outcome if you intend to sell her, but fine if you want to keep her. This is from my experience as a yacht broker.

If you are asking for comments on a Chris Craft forum, why be upset for an honest reply..?
  2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Since we're past the point of being polite and just getting down to honesty- I think it's ugly.

There are very few boats that I have ever seen that look better after a structural change from the original lines. The rare exception to this rule is when the design is done by the original architect. There are other notable exceptions to this rule, but as a whole it stands true.

That's my $0.02
  3. Laurence

Laurence Senior Member

Updates

I think your designs look good. Will you have some issues with installation with sliding doors as opposed to hinged.
  4. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

Q240z you get upset when someone mentions something you don't think applies to the topic you want and accuse them of "hijacking" your topic, yet on "Questions on a liveaboard Roamer " by Chamberlain41 you hijacked that topic to start an argument of weight of an aluminum Roamer versus a steel Roamer. It seems to me if you are going to be so adamant about your topics being hijacked you should respect others topics and not hijack their topics.

I get the sense you don't really care for people that disagree with your point of view, you should not be so sensitive on this forum. It is a Chris Craft Roamer forum and most of the people on this are true to a restoration and don't care for *******izations. Mine has been modified from it original state and I get comments on it all the time but it is the way I like it and I don't have a problem with people that disagree with what I did and will do it, that is their right and they do have a right to voice their opinions on this forum.

I say restore or remodel your boat for the purpose you have in mine, I did mine to retire on and cruise slowly. The purist won’t like my engines anymore than they do the Lehmans you are planning to use but you have to accept that and by posting here you are inviting comments about what you are doing negative and positive. So get a little thicker skinned and enjoy the “advice” you’ll get from posting here.
  5. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

As someone else has said, you had originally posited that you're "restoring" a Roamer. You probably shouldn't have expected a universal gung-ho thumbs up response once you've planted the restoration seed. As I said originally, if it's what suits you, then by all means more power to you. Enjoy it as you want it. But when you ask for opinions (everyone has one), don't get all cheesed off when you get opinions. Very simple.

Threadjacking is poor form, but so is talking through your hat. I don't have experience with Roamers, I only have experience with the boats that have been in my family. Therefore, I can only talk with any meaningful knowledge about the things I've experienced or researched, and for me to talk about Roamers as though I have personal experience would be deceitful on my part. If you want to call a different perspective threadjacking, when you've solicited perspectives, well then you're not looking for a conversation you're looking for a monologue. That's not what boards are for.

As for causation vs. correlation, the boat has had a lot of work done to it, and done well, by the yard where we kept it for 30 or so years and where it has remained since. The last buyer, about 8 years ago, got all the original drawings from the builder, and ended up saying essentially what you did with your boat - this thing is not quite FUBAR, but at the least pretty FU. Three owners after us had each left their different marks, none of which really was an improvement over original, but it suited them at the time and all work was done to the highest standards. Once he realized how much had changed, and the cost of refitting to original, the offering price dropped significantly and the seller ended up bailing out because he had managed to really gut the value by gutting the originality belowdecks. All the extra weight added in the name of "modernizing" had left her handling and speed compromised, and now she spends most of her time in the water as a floating cottage. I would say that's a pretty direct causal argument.

We maintained the yacht as near-perfect as was possible, considering it was used 40+ weeks/weekends a year as a business entertainment and family use yacht, and with the exception of repowering it was maintained as original.
  6. Laurence

Laurence Senior Member

Let's not forget that q240z has saved a Roamer from the scrap heap.
  7. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Yes, and he's another boat owner who's engaging in a labor of love, with the goal of enjoying his time on the water.

All of which are noble.