Click for JetForums Click for Northern Lights Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn

Merritt Island

Discussion in 'Sea Ray Yacht' started by olderboater, Jan 21, 2015.

1. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

This one slipped by me. Maybe it was picked up here by others. But we were recently discussing the old Sea Ray facility in Merritt Island, then discussing Bertram folding the tent there and speculation as to the mystery builder looking along the east coast. Well, Sea Ray has decided to reactivate the Sykes Creek facility in Merritt Island due to the success of their L Class Yachts.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would guess they either never recieved final payment, or were offered it back at a price reduction. But it does make sense as their Palm Coast plant doesn't have buildings tall enough to really build flybridge boats and Merritt Island makes sense logistically as well. It is a nice facility.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah, but that Timex will keep time a lot better than a Rolex ;)
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Searay builds an above average quality boat for an average price, average owner, and average sea-state and they endure time very well. They also do a very good job at it, and every area of the boat is well thought out. I'm dealing with a 1998 45' Sedan bridge for the 3rd time around now. Did a lot of changes for the last owner in 2006 and delivered it to St. Croix, owner shipped it back in 2011 after fishing Marlin tournaments with it and I got it cleaned up for sale and maintained it. Next owner just brought it back down to sell it again. The 17 year old gelcoat is still very shiny and looks great for it's age.

Searay actually uses quality parts virtually throughout the boat, unlike others in it's class. Rule pumps and float switches. Sealand macerator pumps and toilets. Either Cat or Man engines. All of the equipment inside is from a good brand. They're relatively easy boats to maintain and have fewer problems because there aren't a ton of extra systems on the boat. Everything is accessable,although the access can be a touch on the tight side at times. They're not designed to go out in 8-10' seas, but will get you home in it if need be.

A 58' searay doesn't have any fuel tanks :) The diesel tanks are on the hull side but go from floor to ceiling on the hullsides. The Center of gravity is even as you have one on each side, balancing it out. Resale is lower because they have built and sold so many of each model.