Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn Click for MotorCheck Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums

Mercury V-12 600HP Verado outboard!

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Fishtigua, Feb 11, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Our 400's are nice and clean for now, no known issues. The old 300's had rotting intercoolers that have now been replaced. All good.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yamaha or Verados?
  3. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Veds are fine, the Yam 350's just throw their flywheel at you.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Interesting phenomena: I haven't posted on this thread, only lurked, and yet I know have ads for this motor popping up all over my web searches.
  5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Because you viewed the video.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That'll teach me. Lol.:(
  7. f3504x4ps

f3504x4ps Member

Marc engine and ZF lower unit, Is Their going to be finger pointing on who warranties what it the lower unit takes out the power head or vise versa. V12 so tall and heavy, Seven marine had it correct and HP also, they should have kept the company. None of the articles I read said that it could be tilted just that the steering angle was 45 degrees. Cool design for steering though. Just so heavy.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

So these things are over 1250 lbs each? I have to wonder what the long term effects that much power and weight will have on the transoms.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Two of them will put out 1200hp for 2500lbs
    Three yamahas 400 will have the same HP for 2700 lbs.
  10. SkyDriver

SkyDriver Member

There's a utube video of the (Viking) Valhalla 46 running with one motor tilted up.
    It went 57 on three and 64 on four.
  11. ChiTown

ChiTown Member

Using Captn J's numbers from earlier

a 450 HP is 690 lbs......

so 3-450 hp (1350HP) = 2070 lbs
    2-600hp (1200hp)= 2510 lbs

or
    4-450HP (1800 HP)= 2760lbs
    3-600HP (1800HP)= 3780 lbs.......

These 600's rate at .476 hp/lb where as the 450's are .652 hp/lb. Seems like they need to get to about 825 hp to be comparable on that metric.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Remember, These are natural aspirated V12s.
    Merc has fixed all of there blower (super-charger) bugs and the software to control them.
    Let the new engine bugs get settled down a good bit and watch out.

I can easily imagine some serious horse power coming from this design in a year or two.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I may need to remind a few where this block came from.
    For years, it has been Brunswick casting the high performance alloy blocks for GM.
    Brunswick Lost-Foam casting technology is leaps above anybody else.
    These days, a lil swipe of a cad-cam mouse and the Brunswick casting shop can near make anything they want.
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

But the 350hp and 400 hp numbers are about the same HP to weight ratio as the 600hp v12. Right now the 450's only come with a 6 month or 1 year warranty, don't remember which. That hasn't stopped builders from putting them on the transom of almost everything. You can get extended warranties on the 350/400hp out to 5 years.
  15. ChiTown

ChiTown Member

They seem to be following both good engineering and marketing protocols. Start normally aspirated, obtain technical learning on the engines and the applications/boats, as well as the market reception/perception and then move to the next level of hp/wt perf. That said they must have a very specific value proposition to the boat builders and operators and would have anticipated many of these concerns/thoughts. That said it is great to see Mercury/Brunswick innovating, spending on R&D and pushing the market. Too bad they couldn't figure out mid size "yachts".
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Do you remember (you may be to young) when Huckins put OMC Sea-Drives on the back of one of their new builds?
    It worked but OMC Corp lost momentum. The yacht was re-powered to a conventional power package then.

I mentioned before that this new Merc package may be ideal for a diesel power head.
    I'm sure it's already on somebodys chalk board.

Then mid sized "yachts" will be re-defined.
  17. ChiTown

ChiTown Member

We've had the pleasure of three Huckins on our dock since 2010. Pretty amazing boats and these were all in fine shape, beautiful specimens. Heck I had to look up sea drive, hard to believe these could propel a decent size Huckins but it must have been cutting edge in the day. To your point the diesel concept must be under some kind development path. I do wonder about the COG and dynamic loading factors that also may drive more weight aft for structure and then the complexities of counterbalancing with the re positioning of fuel water and batteries forward. All good stuff and great to see the innovation by a major player (US too) and like you said maybe that will lead them back in "Big Boats" (well mid size anyways)!
  18. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The entire reason Volvo bought Seven Marine was to use the lower unit and mid section to put a 300-350HP diesel on top of it. They couldn't get the weight down and had issues snapping the chain that drove the lower unit (supposedly) so they abandoned the idea. The other issue was the Seven Marine lower unit which they put duo props on, was limited in prop diameter.......
  19. ChiTown

ChiTown Member

Diesel or really any high torque/HP gas motor transferring power through a relatively conventional lower unit form factor is a challenge. Heck, think about swivleing Merc #6 drives or the transmission and shafts from say CAT 3208's running through outboard sized lower unit (granted larger than bravos et al). Some serious engineering here, and it still may be an issue. And let's not discount the love (not) of pod's relative to maintenance and reliability versus straight shafts even given their performance upsides, by experienced operators. The form factor really does push the design factor of safety and will require better metallurgy/materials/component/precision levels than previously employed. It's great to see the investment, but you have to wonder if the industry has "jumped the shark" on outboard proliferation or is this jump another step on the path forward. Time will tell.
  20. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Everyone said that about the Volvo IPS. Thousands built so far and no issues.