Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross

Megayacht tenders in US waters

Discussion in 'Tenders & Dinghies' started by curiouspeter, Jul 24, 2007.

1. curiouspeter

curiouspeter Member

Are tenders to foreign megayacht issued their own cruising permits when their motherships are in US waters? Do captains need to report every movement of the tenders (ship to shore, etc) to the coast guard or the customs?

Perhaps I am asking too many odd questions here. I live on the west coast and there are not a lot of big yachts here. (The sea is too rough, the water is too cold, and it is just a boring place for boating.)
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I guess you have the same rules as in Europe, where tenders and toys belongs to the yacht and can be used without special permissions. If the "tender" is amphibious, a car, a plane, a helicopter or a submarine, you need to report before using them. Also remember that some yachts have big "tenders" registered as yachts themselves...
  3. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

If the vessel is clearly marked as "Tender To" you are allowed to use it strictly for "Ship's Business" (whatever that may be). I have had several run-ins with local law enforcement along the east coast where I have usually been able to talk my way into being left alone (although sometimes with a warning). A better option is to state-register the tender. Mine are all currently registered in Delaware.
  4. curiouspeter

curiouspeter Member

Thanks for the answers!

How big can it get before a tender must be registered as a yacht? Magazines make it seems like 30-footers are the norm and 70-footers are not unheard of. :)

Perhaps one day tenders will need their own tenders to get ashore.
  5. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

One day? have a look at Le Grand Bleu. She has a big Sunseeker yacht as a tender. This one could need a tender maybe.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Based upon my own experiences, I have found like Captain Ken that Delaware registration is the best way to avoid continual hassle for both Tenders and PWC's.
  7. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Why is that...?
    I just ordered a new tender and will have the option on where to register it.
    The old one was FL registred like the mother ship.

:D :D :D
  8. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

You can register it where you like, but there is no sales tax in Delaware. If the boat will spend most of it's time in Florida I would pay the tax and register it there.
    Also, my experience has proven that Delaware is very easy to deal with.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Delaware seems to be the most lenient place to do this.

There is also some issues being on a Non US Flag boat and registering non US purchased Tenders in the US
  10. curiouspeter

curiouspeter Member

Other than having to deal with cruising permits and perhaps NOA requirements, are there other disadvantages of registering a recreational (non-charter) vessel outside of the US?
  11. RVN-BR

RVN-BR Senior Member

hmm, is it necessary to have the tender market T/T or Tender To?

What if on the official vessel tender registration sheet the tender has its own name, as recognized by the flagging state of the mother ship?

Could I have a yacht named say Watch, and a tender named Night Watch? (its a stupid example, i know a few real world ones but dont want to post in fear of exposing ppl)... anyways, the registry is totally fine with this, and has a document that includes the description and NAME for each tender, do I still need to put in small somewhere T/T Watch, for example?
  12. curiouspeter

curiouspeter Member

I think naming a "tender" XXXX Shadow is more trendy. Of course, it must be able to carry the requisite helicopter. :D
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

RoyN, I am not sure about a US Registration document but know that with a UK(Red Ensign) one that the registration document refers to One Vessel only.

It's like asking the DMV if you can use the same number plates on several cars.
  14. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Then, there's another hook (or two)...

Years ago, when a yacht with tender was sold, and sales tax was due (in Florida, for example), there were two CG Bills of Sale: the dink had a valuation of 'ten dollars and other considerations'.
    Nowadays, in order to grab revenue where they can, the State (sounds Orwellian) requires, upon sale, real sales tax collection on not just the yacht, but the dink as well.
    That's six hundred bucks on a used $10K Novurania in the County of Broward.

The real sticky wicket here, though, is that, unlike the yacht being allowed a grace period of 90 days to leave the State's waters (post-sale) without paying sales tax, the dink is stuck with the old 10-day period.

According to the letter of the law.

Your mileage may vary. ;)
  15. RVN-BR

RVN-BR Senior Member

Hey K1W1, yes, it is under the Red Ensign (CI).

The vessel is duly registered, and in the Registration of Tenders, each tender has its own name. Would that give any problem in US waters? (It hasnt in other areas)...

The tender carries a copy of the vessel registration as well as the tender registration, and the name is clearly derived from the mothership's name, just not marked as "Tender to XXX"