Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger

MCA Oral Exams

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by CaptPKilbride, Aug 25, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Have any of you had experience with the MCA Oral Exams?

How did you study for it, and how did you find your exam experience?

I hold a USCG license, and have met all the prerequisites to take the oral exam to recieve their Certificate of Equivalent Competency (CEC), and all that remains now is the ORAL EXAM (yikes!)

Thanks,

Patrick :D
  2. Starrider

Starrider New Member

You sound like you are in a real panic here... ha ha

Firstly, all these qualifications are based on the same theory, so rest assured that you past experience and knowledge gained through various courses will help you through this one. The exam is normally based on scenarios, where you have to explain the actions you would take under any given circumstance. Rule of the Road flash cards are a favourite...dispicting lights in various combinations, A Radar picture presentation on paper to judge your assesment of relative motion in determining risk of collision. Meteorology is normally assesed with a synoptic chart. Flags, signals, international distress signals, emergency drills, etc etc. Im sure you have done all this for your USCG Certificate, so learn your theory well(Rule of the Road verbatim!!!) and approach each question logically and in order of priority, should you be given multiple choices at the same time. Go through your various calculations and ensure that you can do them blindfolded. Just remember that the examiner knows that you hold other certificates of competence, and that you have completed all your theory courses....he wants to see how you apply that knowledge. Just be strong...the force will be with you, and dont go and embarress the USCG by failing. I had a similar panic situation doing my MCA Yachtmaster's after leaving the South African Navy, even with 20 years of seagoing experience and a Bridgewatchkeeping Certificate. It is a natural thing to panic. Good luck there Skip, let us know how it went(If you have not completed it already).
  3. Maria B

Maria B New Member

I think all oral exams are designed to see how you behave while thinking on your feet. So be aware of that, make sure to evoke the desired effect. Make them trust your thinking and the way you process information.
  4. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Starrider,
    Thanks for that advice... sounds pretty good. Wasn't in a real panic, and actually have not gone forward with taking the oral exam for the CEC. If the time comes that I need it I will cross that bridge when I get to it.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The UKMCA Oral Exams can be very intimidating to put it mildly.

Don't tell them any more than you need to to answer their question, always think a few seconds before starting your reply as there could be a catch to the question they are asking.

When beng asked about a particular scenario always use a biat you are familiar with as you explain what you would do as you might be asked later."Where exactly is the SSAS Button"? (after you had said you would push it) when asked what you would do if boarded at sea by parties unknown.

What is the Oral Exam you are preparing for? (What grade of license?)