Click for Northern Lights Click for Glendinning Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service

MCA Cat 2 coding for classic 62 ft FEADSHIP motor yacht TIKY ex ALTO VOLANTE.

Discussion in 'Feadship Yacht' started by david_japp, Oct 7, 2013.

1. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

Im just coming to the end of a long rebuild of my 62ft 1961 FEADSHIP TIKY.

She is now being inspected for CAT 2 MCA coding. We took account of the major MCA requirements during the rebuild (most of which are sensible) but one potential issue that has already come up is the handrail height which the MCA require to be 1mt (ie 39.5cm), whereas the current handrail is only 30" high.

Raising the s/s stanchions and teak handrail isn't practical and would look ridiculous at 1 mt. One solution is to fit a sign restricting guest access to the deck and making crew wear lifelines but in reality that is never going to be adhered to so, some I'm hoping for a dispensation on account of her being an existing "classic" yacht. Has anyone had any experience of dealing with the MCA re this issue?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You have a wee typo there - 1 Metre is 39.5 inches or 1000m

Not with this particular issue, they are not always unreasonable and may take your vessel status into consideration as it is a refit not a new build.

If you are not going to charter it and the use is solely private there is often more room to manoeuvre for the surveyors.

You could also say you will only employ midgets on deck so the handrail height won't be such an issue when the ratio of it to the crew members height is considered , might have to fit nets under them then though :D
  3. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

whops! I meant 39.5"
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I too have to admit to keyboard mismanagement myself as has been brought to my attention by another member.

1 Metre is equivalent to 39.37 (39.5)inches or 1000 millimetres- not the 2/3 of a mile I wrote previously