Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Walker

Mathilda-Southern Breeze -Khalidia

Discussion in 'Vintage & Classic Yachts' started by Bram, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Bram

Bram New Member

Hello everybody:)

My real name is Bram ,but I used to be known as Bill,en was Yachting in the 60 ties and early 70 on the Mathilda ,Southern Breeze ,Tracinda Jean what was renamend as Khalidia.spent a lot of time in Monte Carlo ,West Palm Beach
    caribean and the Med.

I know its over 30 years ago,that I left Yachting,and returned to the Dutch merchant Navy as a engineer,but I am curious wat has happend to those yachts.

Here some picture`s

MY Mathilda Build by Witsen&Vis here in Alkmaar in 1963

this foto was taken on her maiden voyage in 1963 when I joined her as 2 engineer.

[​IMG]

This picture is of MY Southern Breeze and was owned by Mister Newman

[​IMG]

Here MY Mathilda,MY Southern Breeze and MY Khalidia together in port du Monaco

[​IMG]

This is the cover of the book "the Dream Boats " by Nancy Holmes and goes all about the MY Southern Breeze and her owners.

and here a foto when MY Khalidia was still the Tracinda Jean before she became MY Khalidia.

[​IMG]

Greetings Bill/Bram:)
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The last time I saw Khalidia was in 2003 , it was basically a stripped out hull laying alongside the wall in La Ciotat, France.

I have no idea what happened to it since then.

Was she powered by Baudoin Engines when you were on it? I knew a few of the team onboard in the early 80's and she had that for running gear then. I was curious to know what it had originally.

The only Southern Breeze was from a similar time I think she had Fairbanks Morse engines in her and had been built for Henry Ford originally.
  3. Bram

Bram New Member

:) Hi K1W1

I am sorry to hear that about the Khalidia,but she has had a rough live while she was in charter from the early sixties onwards when I joint her in 1971.(I knew her and the old crew sinds 1963) :D

About them Baudoin Engines I was the Engineer on board when they were installed and the auxilairies too.((also Baudoin) in1971)

before that we had 2 Maybach's 636 on board as ME,but they and the generators,(and all other aux,were worn out and needed a complete overhaul(we did a lot of chartering at that time.),and the new owner (Mr K) wanted a complete overhaul of the Engine room an a complete refit of his quarters and the guest cabins.

The Soutern Breeze had 2 Fairbanks opposed Piston Engines en 2 GM generators later we had a perkins 4 cyl build in as a extra quiet generator ,for anchoring an some ports,that Henry Ford part came back to me when you mentioned it,thanks

Greets Bill.:)
  4. HONGKONG

HONGKONG Senior Member

MY Mathilda profiles very closely to the yacht I remember from the '80
    COCO". She was stretched something like 22 feet by Merrill-Stevens and broke up and sank in the Med during the '90's. Could be wrong or she's a sister
  5. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Khalidia

Hi Guys,

I did a twin charter with the 110' Gitana (my first one) and Khalidia in 85'86 New Years around the USVI and San Juan.

Not many people know that she was the very first private yacht in the world to have a SAT-COM fitted. Our engineer, Kevin, remembered when he worked onboard, during a refit, getting rid of the old ,huge sat-dome. They could not get a crane that day, so just chucked it over the side on to the dock. It made a good 'Bang' apparently.

Cheers

Fish
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi, I think you are right there I found a few old links that had both names in the title but they wouldn't open.

I think this is the old Southern Breeze http://www.charterworld.com/index.html?sub=yacht-charter&charter=expedition-yacht-revelation-997

It was known as Southern Breeze in the early 80's and was Fairbanks Morse powered, it has also been known as Robur IV and Patagonia in between now and then
  7. Bram

Bram New Member

Hoi

Thanks for the info,the Revelation was the Southern Breeze ,I am sure about that,they have changed a lot and the big blue ugly funnel has gone but it was the Southern Breeze (her nick name on board was : Gus his Bus,Sundays Monte Carlo-San Remo v.v with a lot of guest for a late lunch or early diner;) )in the early 70 ties,the owner Mr Newman died in 1977 .

Greets Bram:)
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

The boat that sank in a storm, due to water intrusion from a forward deck hatch, was Nadine. She was earlier Big Eagle, Edgewater, Jan Pamela, Coco Chanel, Mademoiselle Chanaz and was built as Mathilda by Witsen and Vis in 1963.

Attached Files:

9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

It think it was Jan Pamela when Merrill Stevens stretched it, It was Edgewater and belonged to the Late Bernie Little when the old 16v 71's were removed in 1991 and replaced with reman 3412's at Miami Shipyard ( now gone) A comfortable if at times dangerous stagger from Tobacco Road.
  10. xdub

xdub New Member

Hi Guys,Southern Breeze was not built for Henry Ford,but for the aforementioned Mr Newman,he manufactured electric motors,Henry Ford owned her in the 80s and,after he died she was,Robur IV,Patagonia,Revelation,and is now Stargazer.She had a major re design in 1975 byJon Bannberg and,a major refit by Henry Ford in the 80s.She had to refits in Seattle as Revelation,the first to add a euro transom and complete interior redo,the second added a whole new house between the existing bridge and the skybar.She was also repowered with Cats while Patagonia.
  11. Bram

Bram New Member

Ex Southern breeze

Hi there

for the people who are also intrested ,her some picturers Ive found on Internet From the Stargazer(ex Southern Breeze)

She is still running as a expedition yacht ,(that is what Ive have been hearing , not bad for an old Lady from 1964

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hier a Picture as Revelation

[​IMG]

What is an “Expedition” Yacht?

Sleek, powerful and rugged, our expedition yachts offer the best combination of luxury, comfort and adventure travel; in exotic, remote locations. These stunning destinations possess natural beauty and fascinating culture that are unreachable by any other means. Our local naturalists bring each destination to life as they stand by, ready to uncover the hidden secrets of your customized charter itinerary.

Each charter guest is offered the option of a wellness or photography package. Please contact us for additional information

Accomodation and Layout: Sleeps 10/12 guests in 5/6 staterooms.

Master Stateroom: Full width below deck amidship, with Queen berth to starboard, Ensuite bathroom w/ Jacuzzi tub to port, SAT TV, DVD and CD Player/stereo. Adjoining owner’s lounge, with settee, ensuite bathroom with shower.

[​IMG]

Guest Stateroom (Stbd 2): Owner’s lounge below deck amidship starboard. Ensuite bathroom w/ shower, SAT TV, DVD and CD player.

[​IMG]

Guest Staterooms (Port 1, Port 2, Stbd 4): Below Deck Amidship 2 staterooms to port and 1 to starboard, Queen berths, ensuite bathroom w/shower. CD Player/stereo, SAT TV, and DVD player.

Guest Stateroom (Stbd 1): Below Deck Amidship Starboard, 2 single berths, ensuite bathroom w/shower. CD Player/stereo, SAT TV, and DVD Player.

Wellness Center/Study: Main Deck Amidship Port with fridge and sink. Also used as wellness center with massage table and wide variety of massage and oil products, Stair Master and bike.
    MAIN SALON: Main deck aft: Bar, refrigerator at bar, U-line icemaker at bar, Entertainment center with large plasma TV fitted above a gas fireplace. SAT TV, DVD, VCR.

Dining Salon: Main deck amidship port: Dining table with seating for 12.

Sky Bar: Aft Boat deck with bar, CD player, heat and air conditioned with large windows for viewing scenery, spa.

Watersports, Recreation and Amenities: 2 - Polaris PWC's, 2 – single person Kayaks, 2 – double person Kayaks, snorkel, and deep sea fishing gear. Dive compressor, 4 sets scuba gear. 19’ hard bottomed Novurania skiff, 25’ Boston Whaler, stair master, bike and spa.

Greets Bill ex Eng on the Southern-Breeze,
  12. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

When I was a teenager, all the yachts I drew had an owners cabin exterior like Southern Breeze's. Its that overhang cap around the foredeck to the bridgedeck that appealled so much. Its just so elegent, was she a Hargreaves? I spent a long time seeing her in the USVI and Antigua and was always impressed how she was run and kept.

Fish
  13. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Jon Bannenberg is named as a designer together with the builder.
  14. xdub

xdub New Member

Hi Fish,Southern Breeze was built in 1964 at Zeigler's yard in Louisana.I do not believe she was originally built for Gus Newman but,he bought her soon after.She is the only yacht I have ever worked on that had the crew mess forward on the main deck and, during the six years I was on her the Capt. followed the old tradition of reserving the fordeck for the crew while guests or charterers were aboard.When Henry Ford bought her he extended the fwd part of the house to allow the crew mess to become larger and it still remains today.Mr Ford was very concious of the comfort of the crew being important to everyone else!!
    all the best,
    xdub
  15. bee

bee Member

Khalidia ex Ariane III

Just to clear the origin of this photo. It was taken by Tony Morgan the famous photographer from Cannes in 1962 or 1963 when she was still Ariane III. Even before she was sold to John Bloom of Rolls Razor fame. I was on board

16. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Welcome to Yacht Forums.

What exactly are you trying to say here?

1, The original poster is mistaken?

2, You have been aboard a yacht and wanted to let everyone know?
  17. Bram

Bram New Member

Hoi K1W1 and Bee

Tony Morgan was the top fotographer on the Riviera,and he made foto``s of every yacht nearly in the south of France wat was running around at the 60ties
    The story of John Bloom was widely know at thet time,Don Christy and his wife Sue they were friends of me at that time,also the Dutch chief engeneer George Kraakman,and the elec,known as Ted Pastis:)
    If you was on board (as crew ) at the time I must know you.
    So let me know who you are,this foto of the Ariana was send to me ,from Freddy ? who was the chief steward on board Tricinda Jean.

Kind regards Bill
  18. bee

bee Member

Ariane III - Her main engines were originally Mercedes M.B. 835 D.B 630 bhp each and she had the following generators
    1 x Mercedes M. 0321 E 40 kw 110 volts

1 x Mercedes M. 0321 E 25 kw 110 volts

She also had an enormous battery room for silent running at night including running air conditioning.

Re the photo, only wanted to clear up the dates as each owner after Mr Bloom started making many changes to her appearance.

I am also very happy for all to know that I sailed on her and very many yachts since !!
  19. bee

bee Member

Dear Bill,

I knew Captain Don Christy and Sue. I was on board when she was owned by the original owner P.B.Pandelis. Don joined, if I remember correctly, from the Malahne where he was mate and he stayed on during the Bloom debacle. At that time she had greek engineers and cabin crew and yugoslav deck crew.

regards
  20. Bram

Bram New Member

Hello Bee and all

Whe were laying next to the Ariane III in Port du Monaco in the winter 64/ 65 with the Mathilda and at that time she had no Greek crew on board.
    But the people I mentioned before:) and if you remembert er was a hel of a stink going on about a sudden newspaper article:eek:

But when I joined her when she was Tracinda Jean,with Doug Havers as Captain,after the chartering season ,we had them Mercedes(maybach) Mainn Engines an all auxillaries removed out of the engine room and completly refitted the E.Room
    Here are some pictuers of it taken at Villefrance sur mer,(Voisin yachts yard )

one of the the worn out main engines Merc.bein lifted out of the Eng.room

[​IMG]

When the new Main Engine`s arrived and fitted in,I was on a course at Baudoins factory at Marseille,but Ive got a picture of the Baudoins gen. being hoisted in .

[​IMG]

Greets and all the best:)
    Bill