Click for Mag Bay Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

Marinas or Anchorages Near to the Exumas

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Silver Lining, Feb 23, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Silver Lining

Silver Lining Member

We have been to the Exumas many times and it continues to be a favorite destination. I am wondering if there are any other islands worth to visit in the area such as Long Island or Cat Island. Looking at maps, it does not look like much is there and no marinas.

We spend time at marinas and anchor out. Usually spending time at Staniel Cay, Compass Cay, and may be stop at Highborne. (We have been to Harbor Island but prefer the Exumas) Are there any other nice marinas in the Exumas?

We usually anchor at Big Majors and maybe near Shroud or in the park. Big Majors is great because it is so protected from the prevailing winds, we are in a 50 ft flybridge Viking Sport Cruiser. What other recommendations do you have for good anchorages?
  2. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Little pipe cay is gorgeous. There is a good amount of current but protected from the wind. It’s in between compass and stainless.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I love the southern exumas, south of staniel. Fat fewer boats (not that the northern Exumas are crowded...) and great anchorages. Great Guana has a few nice spots, little farmer, big farmer, rudder and especially Lee Stocking. Gtown is nice as well and some great spots near little Exuma too like Pigeon Cay and Sandy Cay where scenes for pirates of the carib 2 were shot

Video I put together a couple of years ago, south to north.

4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Here is Sandy Cay, not included in the first video

5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Nicely done.
    You mind if I use the video to recruit crew for my upcoming treasure hunt expeditions to the Exumas? :cool:
  6. Silver Lining

Silver Lining Member

Pascal, your videos are beautiful. Sandy Cay looks magnificent, so does Lee Stocking. I will be on my boat this weekend and look over my charts for access, depths and approaches. I am sure I will have some questions about the best anchorages and depths.

Do you stay at a marina in Georgetown, or is it all anchoring?

Definitely we will be spending several days in the Georgetown area this year - it looks absolutely beautiful in your videos.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The only marina is Exuma YC, best described as rustic. :) We usually go if you have a large group of guests flying in or out.

In season most boats anchor near Chat n Chill and it can be crowded by Exumas standards. We either anchor past monument beach, at the NW end of the anchorage (amazing beaches)

At 0:15 this video will Show you the spot.

Another great spot is at the end of stocking, where Elizabeth island starts. Deep and roomy, good holding. Great beaches and sandbars between the two.
  8. Silver Lining

Silver Lining Member

Thanks for the detailed info. It's still a few months out, but you have to plan early if you want to get a spot a Staniel cay or Compass.
  9. Slimshady

Slimshady Senior Member

Great video, thx for taking the time to film, edit and post.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Most overlooked marina/island is Cave Cay. Very well protected marina, concrete floating docks, interesting island and you generally have the entire marina to yourselves. It's only about 20 NM South of Staniel Cay, but there is an amazing sandbar just West of it at low tide. The piano and mermaid are just South of it a few miles off of Musha Cay........interesting sea turtles and really beautiful beach just North of Cave Cay........guys at the marina......Steve and Shark offer great hospitality.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Problem with Cave, besides the fact that there is nothing there, is the 5’ hump at the entrance... and no views. Great in a blow but otherwise I’d rather anchor.

Rudder Cut Cay is one of the most scenic anchorages in the Exumas. No... make that in the Bahamas. Palm tree lined beach, drive in cave, hills... perfect view.
    rtrafford and amgscrap like this.
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Here is video I realized I never uploaded... that’s the area at the south end of stocking, Georgetown. That’s the anchorage I mentioned earlier. Note that the charted reefs on the south of the anchorage are much deeper than charted No concern

13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's 6' going into Cave. Yeah but you can wander the island yourself. The view South from the marina has a nice exposed beach but yeah the marina view isn't much. But good dock, shorepower, water if you need it and totally calm.......everything close by. I haven't had a chance to check out rudder cut cay, will have to do that one day.
  14. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Agree with you in terms of Cave. I'm going to pass through Shroud next month as well.
  15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Shroud is beautiful, the creek to Camp Driftwwod is amazing but too many boats now especially mega yachts setting up tents and stuff at the end of the creek. I prefer the south end of Hawksbill, lots to explore at the south tip.
  16. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Rule of thumb, more or less, is arrive early enough to be able to find a different rock if this one is too crowded, even if just to tuck in behind Norman's Bar... I'm pushing on over to Andros for a week or two.
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

There is always plenty of room to anchor at Shroud, that s not the concern. It s about too many boats ruining the view :).

at Norman’s we anchor up near Galleon Point at the north end. Nice beaches and sandbars. Isolated. We used to anchor in the cut, near the bottom of boot cay but construction has ruined the anchorage.
  18. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Thank you. I'll keep this in mind. I know there's another thread out there on this, but have you found the CMap charts to be reliable for these gunk holes?
  19. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

C-map is based on explorer charts which are best. Explorer charts are also available in Aquamap (iPad and iPhone app).

what you don’t want to use in the Bahamas is Navionics. Way off on many places
  20. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Lol, yes, I found out about Navionics the, um, hard way. I've heavily relied upon some terrific paper charts with lots of notes that I referenced against the electronic charts, and then I shifted to CMap. I've been pretty happy thus far, but this next trip will test the mettle a bit more with some free wheeling decision making around Exuma but especially into South Bight.