Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Perko

MAN engines stop for no reason/ boat puts itself into gear

Discussion in 'Engines' started by rogerf, Aug 8, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. rogerf

rogerf Guest

I have had a Sunseeker Manhattan 64 from new in 2001.

Ever since I have had unexplained engine stops of either engine both at idle and under cruise. In all but one case the solution was to switch off the ignition and restart the engine (the Computer says stop!).

On a couple of occasions on starting the engines, thankfully in my berth and tied up the boat decided to put itself into gear and lurch forward!

I have complained to both Sunseeker and MAN who despite many attempts to solve the problem both state that "the computer says there is no problem"

Am I the only one in the world with this problem.

On a wider note why do boatbuilders/ engine manufacturers think the Captain should not be in control but the "cOMPUTER KNOWS BEST"

Any ideas greatfully received!

ps bring back Morse controls and no electronics.:confused:
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The problems you are having will very likely be related to a loose wire.

I was on an MTU boat years ago and it started to jump into gear when the VHF was used to talk to Harbour control.

It turned out to be the outer sleeve on the antenna cable loose and causing a bit of interference.

On another with 12m Volvo powered tender where it used to do this for no apparent reason that went unresolved till the boat was re wired at 10 months old.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've seen the starting in gear and stuff.....Most of the time it's the controls located on the FB or someplace that are getting wet and bad.
  4. CapLady

CapLady Senior Member

I have seen this happen twice on two different boats. Both times it was the electronic controls. There was a problem in the main control box. You may want to have that checked.

Good luck with it.