Click for Perko Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta

MAN diesel question

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Florida11, Feb 7, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Florida11

Florida11 New Member

I am looking at buying a sportfish that has two 2001 1050 MANS, with 2500 hours on them. I was wondering if anyone here knows at what point the engines need to be rebuilt. The are running very strong right now, and everything checks out good on them, but with that much time I want to be ready to write the check for the overhaul. Any sharing of advice or experience is appreciated, and if anyone has any idea of the overhaul cost, that would be helpfull. Thanks for your time.
  2. yotphix

yotphix New Member

http://performancediesel.com/0map.htm

That is a map and list of authorized Man service agents. A quick phone call to one should answer your question. I think most marine diesels have a major scheduled sevice at 3000hrs.
  3. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Florida11,
    The MAN Service Record Book that I received from a local MAN dealer shows reglar levels of servicing up to 4000 hours, but no indication of an overhaul in that period. Checking/replacing of injectors is every two years (A1 service level).
    If the engines check out okay by a surveyor or MAN themselves, you definetly want to get the fuel checked out. If you have sludge, algae, gunk, whatever you call it in the tank, it will end up in your filters, or worse, pump and injectors. Have the fuel polished. I ran a Sunseeker with twin 1050's and other than the normal vibration at idle (since only half the engine runs by shutting down half of the injectors), they ran great and have good horses. Keep in mind those are not common rail engines.
    Good luck