Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn

MAN 800HP engines

Discussion in 'Engines' started by eloyex, Oct 6, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

Service

The 1000 hour or 2 year service should cost 14 to 17,000 by a MAN dealer and if not already done on your proposed purchase can normally be negotiated in the deal. 25,000 sounds like a lot more work was done than just the normal
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Are your prices per engine? In my experience, $14-17k is generally about right per engine, not for both. I have seen a couple of pairs of the 800's undergo the 1000 hour service by the MAN dealer, and both motors the total was around $26-28k.
  3. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Eloyex, thought my comment would have the opposite effect - sorry for hi jacking your thread.
  4. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

Cost

Hi CaptJ,

Just checked my facts with 3 MAN dealers, $14,900 from one, $16,000 to $20,000 from another and $22,000 from the third for two eight cylinder 800 HP engine 1000 hour service.

That is the total cost for both engines not per engine.

Bit of a spread and the cheapest probably does more MAN work in Vikings, Princess's and Sunseeker than the others. :cool:
  5. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Yachtjockey

The price spread may be due to what the mechanic includes in his work list apart from the man "must do" scehdule - some mechanics, for instance. will not include taking off and cleaning of the tranny oil cooler. I would think its important to get a detailed work list with each estimate because of this variation?
  6. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

I'm not sure what these other guys are quoting but here is what we've done to both motors:

1- new injectors
    2- Rebuilt fuel injection pumps
    3- rebuilt intercoolers
    4- rebuilt turbochargers (3)
    5- new turbocharger (1)
    6- rebuilt oil coolers (both engine and tranny)
    7- rebuilt water pumps
    8- new belts
    9- new alternators
    10- adjust valves
    11- change all fluids
    12- all new o-rings and gaskets throughout cooling system and charge air system
    13- replace fuel and oil lines (hard) as necessary
    14- service transmissions
    15- rebuild both starters
    16- replace all wastegates with new
    17- all new hoses throughout both engines both water and air

I'm sure I've forgotten something on the list, but like I said, we're well over $25k.
  7. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

Service

I do not think rebuilding both Starters or renewing each Alternator is part of the regular 1000 hour service and although renewing all hoses and rebuilding the water pumps may be very good practice I do not think these are part of the service either.

I agree it is best to get a detailed list of the work to be done and get quotes for the same work.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Starters, alternators, turbos and injection pump rebuilt at 1000hrs?? New hoses?? What are they made off, panted cardboard?

This is nuts...

1000 hr service On a pair of 1400hl 12 cyl CATs (3412E)is under $5000
  9. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

I don't see it as being a 1000 hour service as much as I see it being a service on a pair of 13 year old motors that happened to have a thousand hours on them. If you have the inter coolers off you've basically completely exposed th injection pumps making it a cinch to pull them out. At that point, why not pull the pumps and have them sent out? While you're in there, why not do the injectors? On this particular boat although the motors were running fine, the injectors had spray patterns that were unacceptable so why not have them gone through? In this case it new nozzles were no longer available so we replaced the injectors with new. As far as the starters and alternators, rebuilding the existing units only cost just over $500 all in, was that not worth the piece of mind?

Look at it this way, with the work we've done, the engines should be good for another 1000 hours or another 13 years, whichever comes first...
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

All of the ones I experienced needed the turbo's rebuilt (some were the 2,000 hour service, which is the same as the 1,000 hour but the engines have more usage obviously).

Some of the things called for in the 1,000 hour service are: injectors removed and flow tested, valves adjusted, injector pump checked, head bolts torqued, intercooler aftercooler and heat exchangers removed and cleaned and pressure tested among other stuff.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

13 years old? Ok then this list makes sense but unless I missed it the original description didn't memtion the engines were 13 year old
  12. eloyex

eloyex Member

thks very much to so much feedback.
    many interesting advises.
    thks

keep posting if you have more ideas ................
    if i buy the boat will post pictures.
    my wife say i rather sleep in the engine room than with her ... !!!! :D

as an engineer, i love machinery and engine rooms ..!!!
  13. eloyex

eloyex Member

thks for so complete information. !!
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I manage and run a 2007 62' Predator with man 1100 common rails. Most of the boat is built well and well engineered. The boat is extremely dry and I ran the boat 12 days all through the Bahamas and Exumas and never even got salt on the hull, it rides well and is stable and quiet at cruise. However it does not like to turn on it's axis with just the engines even though it doesn't have tunnels.

The only things I can complain about is they wired all of the aft deck LED's in series causing many of the bulbs to burn out and well unless you want to buy the entire housing at $130, they do not sell just the light capsules in the US (Foresti & Suardi). The deck lights are the same and they're $58 each. I ended up rewiring them properly so they are not in series anymore.

Also, the nimrods installed Algae X's and NO primary fuel filters, just relying on the MAN filters.......the Algae X's macerate the algae so it goes right through the MAN primaries and plugs up the secondaries and there is no space to install racor's ANYWHERE in the ER. Even though the engine room is fairly spacious.

Boarding the boat if you're not on a floating dock is a modern miracle considering the hull sides are about 8' tall and there is nowhere really logical to install a marquipt.

The emergency bilge pump is in another brilliant location. It is in the lazarette as are it's manual valves to determine where to pull water from, and it's mounted less than a foot off of the engine room floor. Guess which place would flood first if you're running and have a large leak in the engine room.

The boat also has a lot of long gel coat stress cracks, in places where it wasn't from hitting a dock or other stress, like the top of the house, sides of the house, places on the center front deck etc......

OHHH AND THE MOST BRILLIANT THING. They installed a 32 gallon holding tank, that's right, 32 gallons for a boat that has 3 staterooms and sleeps 6. With all guests on board, I have to pump out the holding tank daily.

All in all, I've seen much worse problems on many yachts.
  15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Last year a new sunseeker showed up in the next slip and whenever the owner had guests it turned out to be quiet a show! The most awkward boarding I has ever seen...

That was from a fixed dock. I may confusing boats, but from a floating dock shape of the platform and the lack of flat surface made boarding equally acrobatic. Something often seen on Mutts too. Style over function... Some designer thought a tapering platform would look good and never thought that sometimes you'll cant board from a passerelle...
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No, from a floating dock they're fine. Step right on the swim platform and right up the steps to the aft deck. I told the owners not to put a dinghy on the platform for this reason and also, for the once a year we might want one, we'll just rent a 17' whaler instead somewhere.........getting on from a fixed dock is a modern miracle......the only thing you can do is try to line up the steps from the aft deck to the swim platform perfectly next to a piling, not use a fender there, and just jump across with whichever step happens to be at the right height.
  17. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Recheck the original post, based on the fact that he's looking at a 58 predator it's safe to assume that the boat is at least ten years old.
  18. eloyex

eloyex Member

BTW, i belong to a 993 porsche club, and that club is very responsive.
    everybody comment and help. this forum turns out to be the same. It is a pleasent surprise for me.

the boat i can pay (financials is not good enough for me to buy a newer boat this size) is something like this one. 58' predator. 12 years old. Yes, 12 ...

I like those engines , love the style, seems to ride very well, and people say these older models were better and more meticuloslly built than newer ones. (better economic times, more time, less stress, less competition, first predators offered, etc etc ). Now all is about money, china, competitiom, low cost whatever it takes ... I am sure you understand what i mean. (My english doesnt help me)

I cant tell for sure if these older SunSeek's are better than modern ones, but as far as i see this 10 years old models are very solid and good shaped .... (perhaps i am wrong ...)

the animal i can pay like these on the pictures ...

Attached Files:

19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I cannot say that the older sunseekers were built better than the newer ones. The sunseekers you are looking at are built ok and there is nothing wrong with them, however Sunseeker has learned a lot along the way and implemented that in the newer ones, I also think the build quality is a little better.

I was on one of the early 74' Manhattens and my friend ran another 74' manhatten (hull #1). Those boats had a lot of build issues...... The teak aft decks were not sealed properly and a lot of water would leak into the engine room and all over the motors, and the deck would flex. The interior ceiling panels would fall down all of the time in 3-5' seas and break all of the wires off of all of the light assemblies. Factory service in the US at the time was very poor in the way they handled the problems and the customers. They built too many at the same time, and didn't have the proper warranty support or parts support to keep up with the amount of boats they were selling IMO. A friend of mine ran a 2010 74' Manhatten and they'd still take months to fix relatively small warranty problems, but they seem to have the parts I need in stock.
  20. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

I believe the Sunseekers have their gelcoat applied by a paint brush in the mold, not spray gun?

Always wondered how they controlled mil thickness. Gelcoat cracks/crazing may only be superficial/cosmetic, always have your surveyor give you a final opinion.