Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Mag Bay Click for JetForums Click for Mulder

Making a Cruise Ship Longer

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by brian eiland, Feb 21, 2014.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

2. bigboatbill

bigboatbill Senior Member

thanks for the entertaining video. It is interesting to see how things are done.
  3. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

It has been posted before about 6-8 months ago I think. Still fun to watch though.
  4. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

5. Belle

Belle Member

I know it's silly, but I could never cruise on it after. I just always picture it bending and breaking apart like some of the container ships I've seen pictures of doing so. Probably sturdier than it was before. I don't know. I just know the mental image I have wouldn't let me be comfortable on it.
  6. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

That goes double for me. No way.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's pretty cool to see it in a video like that. It's a very common thing to do that to older ships and not the first nor last time one was stretched like that. I wouldn't worry about the integrity. The ship started out as a bunch of steel plates that were welded together to begin it's life. As long as the new section is welded correctly, it's just as strong as before it even happened.
  8. olderboater

Knowing that intellectually is one thing. But that doesn't necessarily take the thoughts away. If I was going to cruise, I'd just as soon not know that had been done to my ship. Of course there are far more likely things on a cruise ship to worry about. I'll stick to my own boat.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If only it were that simple.

There are numerous calculations and QA requirements to get that pile of plates and crates to take to the sea.
  10. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Making A Ship Longer

Over the last 10 years they have made a dozen Great
    Lake Ships longer and wider. They would build the new fore body in the dry dock ahead of time 10' longer and 5' wider. They would back ship into dry dock then cut the old fore body off at the wheel house then
    float new section in to dry dock and weld in place.
    Attached is video of Algoport that departed the Welland Canal under her own power to the Panama Canal then was under tow to China but sank in a storm September 6/2009.
    As the new fore body was waiting for her in China they now had to build a complete new ship.
    The Sinking of the Algoport - YouTube
  11. olderboater

And that is the picture we carry in our minds when we think of lengthening. Yes, we realize it hadn't been done yet, but it's still not a pretty sight.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I understand that......but they also do those numerous calculations and QA requirements when they extend a ship in this manner. It's a hell of a lot more seaworthy than a yacht extension (in the stern) and leaving the running gear where it is.